PDA

View Full Version : Update Hole cut in Schiada

Highlimit9000
10-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Would scare the shit out of me to do that!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/199Prime17.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/199Prime21.jpg

Rexone
10-14-2005, 05:21 PM
MK has drilled a few hundred of those I'll bet lol. :)

GofastRacer
10-14-2005, 05:55 PM
It's not a big deal!.. :)

Norseman
10-14-2005, 07:32 PM
It's not a big deal!.. :)
Easy for you to say!!!!!!! :)
I'd have to sit there with a cup of coffee, and think about it a while!!!!
And measure everything about 62 times before putting the drill up to the hull!!!! :coffeycup :coffeycup

GofastRacer
10-14-2005, 07:38 PM
Easy for you to say!!!!!!! :)
I'd have to sit there with a cup of coffee, and think about it a while!!!!
And measure everything about 62 times before putting the drill up to the hull!!!! :coffeycup :coffeycup
Why????, you run it up like the propshaft and that's where it goes thru, what's the big deal??.. :confused:

21rayson
10-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Why????, you run it up like the propshaft and that's where it goes thru, what's the big deal??.. :confused:
what he said no big deal.

haulina29
10-14-2005, 08:59 PM
No big deal when nothing lines up or the shaft hits the shaft log or the seal leaks from improper alingment. Just drill another hole.

GofastRacer
10-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Now that didn't make no sense at all, why wouldn't it be lined up?????.. :confused:

Rexone
10-14-2005, 09:50 PM
It's only a big deal if the strut isn't in the right place. :(

GofastRacer
10-15-2005, 04:48 AM
But we always make sure the strut "IS" in the right place before boring the hole, right!.. :D :D

Itsahobby
10-15-2005, 05:27 AM
So what would a drill bit like that cost? I bet more than it cost to have Prime drill the hole for you.
Hobby

lucky
10-15-2005, 05:30 AM
Art , I could fock up a free lunch , thats just how it rolls , lmao

superdave013
10-15-2005, 06:38 AM
So what would a drill bit like that cost? I bet more than it cost to have Prime drill the hole for you.
Hobby
big ass hole saws (http://www.jerseyspeedskiffs.com/pholesaws.htm)
My bill at Prime was a tad higher then 89 bucks. lol No regrets as the same guy in the photo did the same thing to mine. And it came out very nice.
I'm just a pussy when it comes to drilling holes in the bottom of my boat when I'm not 100% sure I know what the fock I'm doing.

Itsahobby
10-15-2005, 06:55 AM
89 for the hole saw, than $$ for the shaft to run through your strut :jawdrop: I figure that puppy has to be pretty straight and machined threads at one end.
Question for GoFast, is the bushing in when you do that? Or, just metal to metal with some oil on it?
My bill at Prime was a tad higher then 89 bucks. lol No regrets as the same guy in the photo did the same thing to mine. And it came out very nice.
I'm just a pussy when it comes to drilling holes in the bottom of my boat when I'm not 100% sure I know what the fock I'm doing.

Moneypitt
10-15-2005, 06:56 AM
A craftsman is only as good as his tools allow. With the proper equipment and a great deal of planing, as Art said, its a fairly safe operation...........MP

haulina29
10-15-2005, 07:04 AM
As SD stated I wouldnt even think of drilling a shaft hole on my own even with the best equipment .H29

dmontzsta
10-15-2005, 07:05 AM
Ask him if you can keep the piece that comes out, its pretty cool. :)

Highlimit9000
10-15-2005, 07:48 AM
I second that Dave...Especially the bill part...$$$$ But knowing its done right... 2 Holes won't work if its done wrong...Cant put a price on that!!!!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/199Prime19.jpg

superdave013
10-15-2005, 07:58 AM
89 for the hole saw, than $$ for the shaft to run through your strut :jawdrop: I figure that puppy has to be pretty straight and machined threads at one end.
Question for GoFast, is the bushing in when you do that? Or, just metal to metal with some oil on it?
They used propshaft that's been turned down to fit in a drill. Bushings were greased up with what looks like wheel bearing grease.

GofastRacer
10-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Well I guess there's different ways to do it, but the one I used was made from an old propshaft with a long hole saw fixed to it and the other end turned down for a drill motor. New bushings are a must so there's no slop in the shaft, the slightest amount at the strut becomes a whole bunch at the other end. Since it's not being spun at high rpm(especially to start it) a little grease works fine, I used plain ole white grease, worked good!..I guess a guy could make some trick deal with roller bearings and not use the bushings though!..

lucky
10-15-2005, 09:07 AM
But we always make sure the strut "IS" in the right place before boring the hole, right!.. :D :D
I think an offset strut would be fine to comensate for torque steer :D :D ( joke )

GofastRacer
10-15-2005, 11:04 AM
I think an offset strut would be fine to comensate for torque steer :D :D ( joke )
Hey I never thought about that, we'll have to try that on "your" new boat!. :D :D

lucky
10-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Hey I never thought about that, we'll have to try that on "your" new boat!. :D :D
NOPE - A PROFESIONAL JUST DID THAT FOR ME -- i WISH I HAD MY GARAGE BUILT - i'T WOULD BE IN MY STABLE AS A oFF TRAILER RESTO .. :D

Rexone
10-15-2005, 11:42 AM
As SD stated I wouldnt even think of drilling a shaft hole on my own even with the best equipment .H29
Drillin holes ain't no big deal 29 as long as you measure twice, drill once.
Kinda like buildin houses. ;)

haulina29
10-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Your right latley I have cut a few things short lol . You know how I feel when it comes to the Schiada stuff Mike is the best , :D :D

VD CRUISER
10-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Hey, I've even done that out here on the east coast. I use a block of wood with a hole in it jacked up tight against the bottom to stabilize the long hole saw so it won't walk around ,before it gets completely into the fiberglass. If the strut is in the right place, the hole will be too. :D

Jordy
10-15-2005, 01:21 PM
If it was my boat, I'd measure like 400,000 times and call someone once to drill it. Call me chicken, and I'm sure it's not a big deal when you've done a few hundred of them, but cutting anything on my boat freaks me out, much less something important, and even worse, something important below the waterline. ;)
Oh, and Mikey, you forgot one little detail here. Houses don't sink or behave badly if you drill the hole wrong. ;) :D

superdave013
10-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Oh, and Mikey, you forgot one little detail here. Houses don't behave badly if you drill the hole wrong. ;) :D
sometimes girlfriends do! :eek:

Slyder
10-15-2005, 02:41 PM
sometimes girlfriends do!
Now that's funny.......I don't care who you are....

Highlimit9000
10-15-2005, 03:00 PM
sometimes girlfriends do! :eek:
LMAO! That includes wives too dave!!!!
SHOCKER!!!! :crossx:

FlatStupid
10-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Kinda like buildin houses. ;)No shit! Ya gotta measure??? :confused:

GofastRacer
10-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Hey, I've even done that out here on the east coast. I use a block of wood with a hole in it jacked up tight against the bottom to stabilize the long hole saw so it won't walk around ,before it gets completely into the fiberglass. If the strut is in the right place, the hole will be too. :D
Pretty simple huh!.. :D

GofastRacer
10-15-2005, 06:56 PM
If it was my boat, I'd measure like 400,000 times and call someone once to drill it. Call me chicken, and I'm sure it's not a big deal when you've done a few hundred of them, but cutting anything on my boat freaks me out, much less something important, and even worse, something important below the waterline. ;):D
So Jordy, I take it you wouldn't want to install a strut either huh!.. :D :D

haulina29
10-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Probably any buddy could do it but doin it right is another thing . Whats right to some aint to slick to others .

GofastRacer
10-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Probably any buddy could do it but doin it right is another thing..
Man you got that right!..

Norseman
10-16-2005, 05:04 AM
Mike;
It's knowing how to make sure they are in the right place that's a big deal!!!
The actual hole is easy!!!!
I don't have a problem drilling, it's the knowing that I am not sure about!!!
:hammerhea
Bob