PDA

View Full Version : Doug Eddings "The guy who screwed The Angels"

NOTALENT
10-15-2005, 05:52 AM
I cant believe there letting this focker Assist in the call of tonight's game!! He wont be behind the catcher, but in right field!!! :argue: So anyone sitting over there....be sure to throw some things at him and shout hateful slur's for the rest of us!!! :crossx:

JetBoatRich
10-15-2005, 05:54 AM
Friend of mine will be sitting right where he will be :idea: I am sure he will get an ear full tonight :D from the Angel fans :jawdrop:

shueman
10-15-2005, 05:57 AM
It was Jason's fault....when in doubt, TAG 'em out.... :hammerhea

NOTALENT
10-15-2005, 05:59 AM
Friend of mine will be sitting right where he will be :idea: I am sure he will get an ear full tonight :D from the Angel fans :jawdrop:
I sure hope so...he deserve's it. Have your buddy make a sign that say's "Screw Edding's, From ***boat.com" :D That would be a site to see... :jawdrop: :D

JetBoatRich
10-15-2005, 06:00 AM
That is what I keep saying :mad: if your glove touch's the ground :confused: you have to tag him :mad:

NOTALENT
10-15-2005, 06:01 AM
Bull shit!! although yes maybe he should have tagged him, but there was no doubt in his mind...that's why he immediatley rolled the ball to the pitcher mound.

NOTALENT
10-15-2005, 06:02 AM
'I should've sold it'
Tom Verducci, SI.com
ANAHEIM -- The umpire who made the controversial dropped third strike call in Game 2 of the American League Championship Series said yesterday he "absolutely" made the right call, but admitted he was wrong in the manner in which he called it.
"I think I've got to change my mechanic a little," Doug Eddings said upon arriving at John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, Calif. Eddings' raised, clenched fist for a strike call is similar to a traditional out call. "That's why I feel bad. I should have given a safe sign."
Eddings admitted he called a dropped third strike more emphatically earlier in the game.
With two outs in the ninth inning of a 1-1 game, Chicago catcher A.J. Pierzynski missed a low, pitch from Los Angeles reliever Kelvim Escobar on a 3-2 count. Angels third-string catcher Josh Paul thought he caught the ball without it striking the ground and immediately rolled the ball toward the mound, which Escobar had vacated on his way to the dugout. Pierzynski, after taking one step toward his own dugout, realized Eddings had made no audible out call and sprinted to first base. Eddings did indicate a third strike by raising his right first, but made no physical or audible call to indicate the ball hit the ground.
"I should have sold it either way," he said.
Eddings admitted he was surprised to see Paul roll the ball to the mound.
"Nine times out of 10 if there is any question the catcher tags him," Eddings said.
Paul said after the game he rolled the ball back instead of tagging Pierzynski because he said he was convinced he caught the ball without it striking the ground. Replays were inconclusive.
When asked if Eddings' actions behind him had no bearing on his decision to roll the ball to the mound, Paul said, "That's correct."
Pierzynski was replaced by pinch-runner Pablo Ozuna, who stole second and scored the game-winning run on a double by Joe Crede.
Eddings and his fellow umpires were met at the airport by a security officer from major league baseball as well as two armed Orange County sheriffs.
Asked if he felt he made the right call on the pitch, Eddings replied, "Absolutely. I felt it bounced. I know others have their own opinions."
Eddings said he received voice mail messages from "just about all" other major league umpires as well as several NHL officials supporting his call.
"It makes you feel good," said Eddings. "I've wanted to do this job since I was 13 or 14 years old. I love my job. I still do."
As part of the routine postseason umpire rotation, Eddings is scheduled to work the rightfield line at Angels Stadium for Game 3 Friday night.

bite me
10-15-2005, 06:12 AM
:hammerhea Thats BS, if the ump does not clearly see the ball hit the ground he can not make that call !!!!!!! He said that just to cover his ass.

bite me
10-15-2005, 06:13 AM
Give him hell tonight............

jdogginla
10-15-2005, 06:27 AM
Technically........Paul, the catcher needs to take blame for the error. Any true baseball fan that watches the game on a consistant basis will tell you that on a strike three call if there is ever a doubt whether the catcher caught it or if it gets by the catcher, the catcher or someone must either tag the runner or throw it to first for the force out. The call is still a strike out, but the player may be awarded the base if not tagged or forced out. So technically the arm motion of the strike three call was correct......Paul never heard the ump say verbally that the batter was out yet assumed it and was confident that he caught the ball clearly. Now if I'm correct Paul came in the game in the 9th inning to catch, so he doesn't have the luxury of being behind the plate all night and getting a feel for the umpire's ways.
All in all.........their is an argument on both sides about if it's right or wrong but I think that it leans more in favor of the umps call being correct and the Angels losing a game for making a stupid mistake.
Just my .o2......and NO i'm not a WhiteSox fan.

PowellScooter
10-15-2005, 06:36 AM
Well said Bob and Joedog!

NOTALENT
10-15-2005, 06:39 AM
Technically........Paul, the catcher needs to take blame for the error. Any true baseball fan that watches the game on a consistant basis will tell you that on a strike three call if there is ever a doubt whether the catcher caught it or if it gets by the catcher, the catcher or someone must either tag the runner or throw it to first for the force out. The call is still a strike out, but the player may be awarded the base if not tagged or forced out. So technically the arm motion of the strike three call was correct......Paul never heard the ump say verbally that the batter was out yet assumed it and was confident that he caught the ball clearly. Now if I'm correct Paul came in the game in the 9th inning to catch, so he doesn't have the luxury of being behind the plate all night and getting a feel for the umpire's ways.
All in all.........their is an argument on both sides about if it's right or wrong but I think that it leans more in favor of the umps call being correct and the Angels losing a game for making a stupid mistake.
Just my .o2......and NO i'm not a WhiteSox fan.
I concurr with all of this exept the fact that there was no doubt in his mind. He believed that he caught the ball therefore he did not tag him or throw it to first.

PowellScooter
10-15-2005, 06:40 AM
Oh, and I still think the call was iffy, but iffy calls are part of a sport that has never relied on anything but real time, human interaction to make the calls.
GO ANGELS!
Right lets hope they never go to Instant Replay in baseball!

NOTALENT
10-15-2005, 06:43 AM
If only he was umpiring the game. ;)
haha...true...Oh well...we will get them back tonight...I just check Angels Ticket Exchange and there is 637 tickets availible...Im going to pick me up some and scream out my hateful slurs!!! :crossx:

Boa1277
10-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Well I bet the catcher will not make that mistake and assume the call himself, ever ever again. They are going to either tag the guy or throw it to first on just about every third out from now on, kinda like they send around the horn.

Waist Deep
10-15-2005, 09:27 AM
Anyone watching the race tommorrow? In racing, you know when youre out. Baseball Sucks.

NOTALENT
10-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Anyone watching the race tommorrow? In racing, you know when youre out. Baseball Sucks.
Which race are u referring to....???
and baseball is the #1 sport in america... :D

boater72
10-15-2005, 10:00 AM
You are absolutely correct, except that Paul entered in the bottom of the 8th.
The bottom line, with a professional, everyday catcher behind the plate, this is a complete non-factor, because he tags him and the inning is over. Personally, I think Eddings was shocked that Paul didn't tag him, he was obviously looking at him like "what a dumbass, tag him, please." :D
Have to agree with this as I was shocked myself that he just did not tag him or throw to first base. Even though after the fact that it showed he caught it.

WaTchTheGelCoat
10-15-2005, 10:24 AM
You know, if the same thing happend with roles reversed, you would be here saying that the Angels are the smartest team ever. The dude on the Sox saw a loophole and took it. They were going into extra innings anyway, you never know what could have happend, the sox might have put away the Angels and did the same thing in the tenth inning.
Bottom line, no one stole that game from anyone, a mistake was made and the Sox capitalized on it. Deal with it you boohooers. Its just like the Cub fans blaming Steve Bartman for not winning the series. Guess what, IT WASNT HIS FAULT! they got beat by the best team, which also went to win the World Series.

Moneypitt
10-15-2005, 10:25 AM
"force out at first"???.......The ump said he was watching Paul to see what he did. Which he was. However, when Paul rolled the ball out to the mound it should have been an obvious indication he caught the ball cleanly and the out should've stood. Paul may not be the everyday catcher, or even a regular replacement catcher, be he is not a rookie, knows the game, and if he thought there was any question about the catch he would've made an easy tag of the hitter. As stated, the umps will usually say "no catch no catch" if they feel the ball was dropped or hit the ground prior to the catch. This ump said nothing and allowed the hitters action of running to first to make the call for him.............."force out at first"????????.........MP

I Feel the Need...
10-15-2005, 10:40 AM
I agree, I was a catcher and we were taught to tag the hitter after every low 3rd strike. He should have tagged him...
But the umpire was spoofed by the batter running to 1st, so he probably assumed that the bag hit the ground, which it didn't. He blew the call!

boater72
10-15-2005, 10:52 AM
I agree, I was a catcher and we were taught to tag the hitter after every low 3rd strike. He should have tagged him...
But the umpire was spoofed by the batter running to 1st, so he probably assumed that the bag hit the ground, which it didn't. He blew the call!
WTF how do you know :D :D :D :D LOL

Boa1277
10-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Well I bet the catcher will not make that mistake and assume the call himself, ever ever again. They are going to either tag the guy or throw it to first on just about every third out from now on, kinda like they send around the horn.
I agree with everyone saying just let it go, even if they dont go all the way to the show, I am sure they will get some sort of call that will help them before the series ends. Mistakes are made next time they will just have to knock the Sox out and take it out of the Umps hands. I sure hope the Angels win it all....

Cole Trickle
10-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Molina would have made the tag or the throw to first.
It happens....... Lets move on......Go Angels!!!!!

JetBoatRich
10-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Molina would have made the tag or the throw to first.
It happens....... Lets move on......Go Angels!!!!!
That is what we need to do :hammerhea bad start so far :2purples:

JetBoatRich
10-15-2005, 05:56 PM
better do start hitting soon :cry:

Debbolas
10-15-2005, 05:58 PM
They REALLY need a RALLY
Get the monkey out!!!!!
Turn your hats backwards!!!!!!!!
Do something!!!!!

Boa1277
10-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Its not looking good top of the 6th, come on Angels, you can dooooooitttttt

JetBoatRich
10-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Its not looking good top of the 6th, come on Angels, you can dooooooitttttt
Wonder if they for got how to hit :boxingguy

Boa1277
10-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Bottom of the 7th they got 2 back just need 4 more...

JetBoatRich
10-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Bottom of the 7th they got 2 back just need 4 more...
The UPHILL Battle :boxingguy