PDA

View Full Version : Ford Carrier bearing issues...

HighRoller
10-15-2005, 03:20 PM
My F350 4X4 seems to have a healthy appetite for carrier bearings. For some reason the rubber melts out of the ring and the bearing is left spinning on the driveshaft, which basically puts you out of service. All of the U-Joints are brand new and from what I can feel there is no driveshaft vibration. I put a new bearing assembly in less than 2000 miles ago and the rubber is already starting to melt on this one. I have since wrapped the exhaust with header tape, thinking the heat might be the culprit. The Cat and exhaust are fairly close to the bearing assembly.
Has anyone ever had issues like this with a long wheelbase 4X4? It's a longbed crew cab on 33's but unlifted. This is the 5th or 6th bearing in 5 years on a low mileage truck. Any advice or opinions are welcome.

cc322
10-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Is there some type of heat shield in place? That does not sound normal.

HighRoller
10-15-2005, 05:09 PM
I've got headers, a high flow Cat and Flowmaster Cat back system. The Cat has a very thin heat shield and I wrapped the tubing next to the bearing. I just have no way of knowing if an aftermarket exhaust like this runs so hot it would cause a problem. My next step is to have a heat shield made between the Cat and the bearing.

Outnumbered
10-15-2005, 05:17 PM
How many miles on the cat? They tend to run hotter when they get plugged up from what I have heard. My buddy had his plug up on his jeep XJ and it melted the carpet under the back seat:2purples:

HighRoller
10-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Actually, the Cat is fairly new. The original plugged up a while back on the previous owner and he replaced it with this one. Maybe I'll just saw it off since I don't smog it :eek: Then again, that might be kinda loud....

HighRoller
11-09-2005, 01:51 PM
It's not a diesel. 460 gas engine, mods listed above. Was wondering if anyone had a similar problem with an aftermarket exhaust creating a lot of heat.http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/413Truck4.JPG
And to answer your first question, I don't think the 4000lb camper is the culprit. It melted a bearing once without the camper on.

djunkie
11-09-2005, 01:53 PM
One word........FORD!!!!!! :rollside: :rollside:

HighRoller
11-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Well, Ford did something right because it still runs like a top after 13 yrs :D

djunkie
11-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Well, Ford did something right because it still runs like a top after 13 yrs :D
Congrats. Your lucky. Don't park it in your garage. :D