PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Sandbar?

davis777
10-16-2005, 09:30 AM
I have never taken my boat to Havasu- Where is the best place to launch and where on the lake is the Sandbar?
Thanks-

dicudmore
10-16-2005, 09:33 AM
I have never taken my boat to Havasu- Where is the best place to launch and where on the lake is the Sandbar?
Thanks-
depends on water level and what you're boat is...
can't miss the sandbar...head north towards Topock and a few miles up river you'll run right into it on your right hand side

2Driver
10-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Windsor ramp (State Park) is your best bet and on the north side of the lake/city. Grab a map of the lake. The Sandbar is at "Blankenship Bend" as noted on the any lake map. There are small brown mile makers on the California side of the lake too.
You will head North from the ramp, heading over to the CA side of the lake. The lake will change abruptly as you enter the river mouth and in places get shallow. For the first time I recommend following the crowd and stay on slow plane for the first 200-300 yards. After that you will be in plenty of water (7'-25"+) assuming you read the river right and don't take a side trip. IF the lake is down 2'+ the river entrance will take a little more navigation but again after the first few hundred yards you should be ok.
Get a map and also fly the river using Google Earth ( free download from Google. Put in zip 86403 to get you to Havasu on the satellite view then head due north up the river. The satellite pictures even have a few boats on the sand bar.
There are other ways but this is best especially for the first trip. Here's a shot from google earth: Have fun
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/2789mapriver.JPG

davis777
10-16-2005, 10:33 AM
Hey Guys thanks- I live in Seattle and am doing some research for next spring/summer-
I am kind of burned out on all the boating spots around here and wanted to trailer my boat down there. I suppose I should fly down and do a re-con trip just to check it out first. I hate rolling up on the scene with my boat and not knowing where everthing is - Launch, stores, gas, Merc dealer ect.
I have looked into havasu online but it is just a bunch of Vistor crap-
I am trying to get some insider info.
Thanks for the tips guys-

Badger301
10-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Hey Guys thanks- I live in Seattle and am doing some research for next spring/summer-
I am kind of burned out on all the boating spots around here and wanted to trailer my boat down there. I suppose I should fly down and do a re-con trip just to check it out first. I hate rolling up on the scene with my boat and not knowing where everthing is - Launch, stores, gas, Merc dealer ect.
I have looked into havasu online but it is just a bunch of Vistor crap-
I am trying to get some insider info.
Thanks for the tips guys-
I'm sure if you post in advance when your going there will be HB members who would be glad to show you around. All it takes is a little Vodka for a tour. :)

2Driver
10-16-2005, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't blow a trip on a recon personally. Plenty of grocery stores, mini market on every corner, Walmart super center, tons of places to eat. Pick a place to stay and go for it.
The only thing that may surprise you is the amount of belligerent human trash that blows in there on summer weekends. Most people are very cool, just stay clear of the a-holes and secure your stuff at night.