PDA

View Full Version : Carb & manifold question

wbrenw
08-12-2002, 03:16 PM
Got the short block rebuild complete on a 1989 350 Mag, and am now wrestling with the manifold/carburator question. I need to replace the intake manifold because the one I pulled off is in real sorry shape. The question is, should I go stock mainifold with the original style Rochester Quadrajet, or something more along the lines of the Edelbrock marine aluminum manifold (EDL-7101)/Edelbrock marine 650 CFM carb (EDL-1409)? Anyone know of anything as good or better (and affordable)?

Hotcrusader76
08-12-2002, 03:30 PM
wbrenw:
Got the short block rebuild complete on a 1989 350 Mag, and am now wrestling with the manifold/carburator question. I need to replace the intake manifold because the one I pulled off is in real sorry shape. The question is, should I go stock mainifold with the original style Rochester Quadrajet, or something more along the lines of the Edelbrock marine aluminum manifold (EDL-7101)/Edelbrock marine 650 CFM carb (EDL-1409)? Anyone know of anything as good or better (and affordable)?In regards to affordability, over the long run, a quality built Holley 650 double pumper with an Edelbrock intake manifold would be an excellent investment.
I can help on the carburetor end when your ready.
-Ty
[ August 12, 2002, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

BOFH
08-13-2002, 09:13 AM
Dude... It's a package. If you plan on a 5000 rpm redline, the stock manifold will give more poiwer and economy. If you want to wrap it to 8 grand, you need a tunnel ram manifold... Carb is the same thing. Tell us what you got, (cam, heads, headers, redline) and we can say what will fit in best. 350s run everything from single 2 barrals to dule quads with a blower and nitrus... Where do you fit?

wbrenw
08-13-2002, 04:21 PM
I see your point on the package deal. The motor is completely stock with the exception of being bored 30 over. I'm looking for easy starts and a smooth idle, nothing exotic. Also, it I'm set up for through the prop exhaust, Alpha I. My book lists the max RPM as 4600.

GofastRacer
08-13-2002, 06:10 PM
wbrenw:
I see your point on the package deal. The motor is completely stock with the exception of being bored 30 over. I'm looking for easy starts and a smooth idle, nothing exotic. Also, it I'm set up for through the prop exhaust, Alpha I. My book lists the max RPM as 4600.Put an Edelbrock Performer RPM and a good ole Holley #3310 on it, you'll like it.... :)

BOFH
08-14-2002, 11:00 AM
There was in interesting test on SBCs where the stock cast iron manifold was compared with a aftermarket. (355 cid 9.5:1 1.94/1.50 valves and 216 at .050 inch lift with a QuadraJet) The stock manifold made more power and torque to 4000 rpm.
Cast iron has better heat transfer, so you need less choke. It also has the same expansion chatacter as your heads and block... No need to get the performer until you are getting into the 5's. As to the carb, run what you (or your mechanic) know. The better you know a type of carb, the better you can tune it. However, if you have the money, go FI. On any system, you can tune it to a much better level of precision, and usually get a %10 boost to power and/or economy.

Bad-Habit
08-27-2002, 10:19 AM
wbrenw:
Got the short block rebuild complete on a 1989 350 Mag, and am now wrestling with the manifold/carburator question. I need to replace the intake manifold because the one I pulled off is in real sorry shape. The question is, should I go stock mainifold with the original style Rochester Quadrajet, or something more along the lines of the Edelbrock marine aluminum manifold (EDL-7101)/Edelbrock marine 650 CFM carb (EDL-1409)? Anyone know of anything as good or better (and affordable)?

Bad-Habit
08-27-2002, 10:30 AM
Bad-Habit:
wbrenw:
Got the short block rebuild complete on a 1989 350 Mag, and am now wrestling with the manifold/carburator question. I need to replace the intake manifold because the one I pulled off is in real sorry shape. The question is, should I go stock mainifold with the original style Rochester Quadrajet, or something more along the lines of the Edelbrock marine aluminum manifold (EDL-7101)/Edelbrock marine 650 CFM carb (EDL-1409)? Anyone know of anything as good or better (and affordable)?Well I know everyone wants to say holley holley but hey as long as your "stock" or close for what your using your carb is fine use it. You won't need to change a thing. If she needs some work then look around. The price between a NEW Edelbrock vs. A NEW Holley is about 200 bucks...Don't trust anyone to rebuild your quad execpt someone who comes HIGHLY recommended....I have a Edelbrock 600 Electric Choke and It was great out of the box. As a matter of fact I really haven't heard anybody have problems with them at all out of the box on small blocks..Try Summitt or Jegs they had the best prices... As a mater of fact if you havent
done the heads check out the vortec heads from GM. 50HP out of the box and only about $600 a SET! they only thing you need is a vortec manifold they run about $140.(Which I happen to have an extra one still new in box for sale wink wink wink ).
Good luck
"Bad-Habit"

gnarley
08-27-2002, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bad-Habit:
a NEW Edelbrock vs. A NEW Holley is about 200 bucks...Don't trust anyone to rebuild your quad execpt someone who comes HIGHLY recommended....I have a Edelbrock 600 Electric Choke and It was great out of the box.
Good luck
"Bad-Habit"
I didn't know that Edelbrock made marine carbs??? or are you using an auto carb on a boat???

Bad-Habit
08-27-2002, 02:18 PM
Yeah The edelbrock is part#1409 and is coast guard approved. If you look in the Jegs catalog they even have a small description. Mine was $254.00 New. There is NO OUTHER carb as easy to understand or work on than the Edelbrock a.k.a Weber. Now if your running a supercharger or MEGA MEGA HP yeah go to the holley but only then....
Bad-Habit

BOFH
08-27-2002, 05:38 PM
Yeah The edelbrock is part#1409 and is coast guard approved. If you look in the Jegs catalog they even have a small description. Mine was $254.00 New. There is NO OUTHER carb as easy to understand or work on than the Edelbrock a.k.a Weber. Now if your running a supercharger or MEGA MEGA HP yeah go to the holley but only then....
Actually, it is a copy of the Carter AFB, which only reciently came back under the Carter name. It was used for years on all the Chriss Craft gas engines. Easy carb to tune.

Dennis Moore
09-01-2002, 06:51 PM
Good book out called Small Block Chevy Marine Performance (available at 626-675-3548). Good info on carb and manifold selections for a marine engine.

Havasu Hangin'
09-02-2002, 07:03 AM
Dennis Moore:
Good book out called Small Block Chevy Marine Performance (available at 626-675-3548). Good info on carb and manifold selections for a marine engine.Uh...who wrote this book?