PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coated Intake and a Nitrous ???

fryzll
01-23-2002, 10:12 PM
Ok guys, im pulling the Victor 460 intake off my engine and having it powder coated. I was wondering if anyone has their intake done and how does it look? Is it holding up around the exaust risers? The other thing is that I am setting up a nitrous system on it and I need to know what jets I should start up w/ on both the nitrous side and the fuel inrichment side. This system is being pieced together from various systems and it should be the same as a Super Power Shot system but my plate has no jets and I was wondering if anyone has a base line starting point for me. All I want to do is start off w/ a 75hp shot and maybe, BIG MAYBE, move up to a 150hp shot. The boat runs 4800rpm at 67mph on gps and I just want to get it up around 5300-5500 rpm. Thank for the help.
Chris

schiada96
01-24-2002, 07:11 AM
Fryzll
I've done a few for people and they look pretty good. Castings sometimes outgas when powdrecoated and leave little pin holes in the paint. I don't have any experience with a ford intake but the chevys I've done are ok, can't you block off the heat riser?
[This message has been edited by schiada96 (edited January 24, 2002).]

wsm9808
01-24-2002, 08:42 PM
The ones we have done look great but they always discolor around the heat riser area if you dont block them off.

fryzll
01-26-2002, 11:33 PM
Thanks guys, I am going to have it done in silver just because I dont want to polish a single plane manifold that has a valley. Now I know someone has has had some experience w/ the giggle juice so give me some help here.
Chris

RumRunner
01-27-2002, 05:31 AM
Chris:
The problem is you can just mix a piece of this, and part of that through it together and you have this. When a nitrous kit is designed it is actually flow tested to come up with the jetting. There are many factors that will determine the Nitrous, and Fuel flow rates. It is a combination of the size of the spary bars in the plates, number of holes, size of the holes, size and length of your lines, your soleniods orifices, and pressure rates.
What you need to do is contact whoever made the plate you are using let them know what it is, and what soleniods you are using. Then get there baseline for how the engineered it, and start rich from there.
Realisticly you'd be better off buying a conversion system from someone (plate, soleniods, lines, and jets) this way you know it will work properly, but then again piston companies need to eat too...
Good luck

Thunderbutt
01-30-2002, 10:52 AM
Fryzll, I'm thinking about puting a blower on my boat and will be selling the existing manifold. It's a Wiand tunnel ram that was plumded for nitrous. The tubing and the nozzles are under the manifold so all you see are two fittings next to the mag hole. I also have two 25 lb nitrous bottles.

fryzll
02-02-2002, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the advise guys.
RumRunner, I have to disagree, you can mix and match and have a good solid system. A cheaper system uses smaller solonoids that have a lesser flow rate, hence the the lower cost. You can use a larger solonoid (higher flow rate) on a smaller system w/ the correct jetting w/ no problem. Im sorry if you took it the wrong way, I am not a Barney Bolt On guy that just slaps on some stuff w/ out any research, this will work. I was just trying to get some base #'s to start with. By the way, I wont need any extra pistons to keep this thing going, it wil work. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Thunderbutt, thanks for the offer but I dont need a tunnel ram. Is it for a 460 or a 454, the mag hole thing threw me off. Those internal systems or badass, my buddy has one. If you get a chance let me know how much, im building another engine (460) for a friend and it might work with what he wants to do.
Chris

brazosjettin
02-04-2002, 05:07 PM
frys11 i just pieced together a nitrous system on my 460 i have nitrous express small silonoids will flow max 175hp and a big shot plate with .043n2ojet 057fuel should be a100 shot.go to www.nosnitrous.com (http://www.nosnitrous.com) should have the info you need. good luck

fryzll
02-05-2002, 09:43 PM
Thanks Brazos, thats what I was looking for.
Chris

RumRunner
02-07-2002, 04:37 PM
fryzll
Sorry to disagree with you, but changing solenoid sizes will change the tune-up on a nitrous system. I can show you this plan as day on a flow bench.

CrazyHippy
02-07-2002, 09:58 PM
Rum runner,
the jets should be the restriction in the system, not the solenoid's
If you have a 1" exhaust tip, why does it matter if the collectors are 4" or 5"??
BJH

fryzll
02-07-2002, 11:06 PM
OK, work w/ me and see if this is correct. If you use the bigger solonoids on a smaller system you would still be at the same H/P boost at 1200 psi bottle preasure but if you use a smaller solonoid on a big system then you could run into lean out problems because the smaller solonoid will not flow enough on a fogger system as opposed to a small cheater system. Im pretty sure thats why they sell bigger solonoids on the big systems because more H/P needs more nitrous and fuel inrichment via a bigger solonoid, line and jet size. Keep in mind this is a SMALL system starting at around a 75 H/P shot, no big 250 shot. I could be wrong RumRunner but I would like to know why this would not work. Here is a example....if a bottle has 1200 psi and runs through a #6 line to a .043 jet to flow X amount of fuel then what would happen if you put a inline orfice chamber (bigger than the line) inline to the jet, I would think there would be no change in preasure and volume BUT, if you use a orfice smaller than the line than yes, you would have a reduction in flow and a small preasure drop. I dont know if this is correct but it sounds right to me. dont get me wrong RumRunner, I am trying to figure this out so I am taking in all this info. Thanks.
Chris

RumRunner
02-09-2002, 06:16 AM
CrazyHippy
On your example where you are making such a drastic change you are right, but in reality you are wrong. If you where building an exhaust sytem on a car and used 15' of 3" tubing, and necked down to 1' 2-1/2" tail pipes, now run the exact same system with 4" tubing, and your 2-1/2" tail pipes the larger pipes will flow more even with the restriction at the end, becasue of the surface area restriction on the inside of the pipe itself. Hence a single 3" exhaust will flow more than dual 2" exhaust.

RumRunner
02-09-2002, 06:25 AM
fryzll
I'm not talking specifically about a flow, but more about the tune-up. First off 1200 psi is a touch high, most systems are calibraited to run between 950, and 1000 psi, going up to 1200 would make it run leaner, and can give you problems opening your solenoids. What you have to remember is that on you plate the holes in the spray bars, the lines, and soleniods will all have an affect on how it runs (rich/lean) If you run the same jets, but increase the size of the soleniod it will effectively flow more through that same jet. The same way changing the float levels in your carburetor will change how it performs. It's easy to prove, get a couple old milk cartons, or buckets, cut a 1" hole in the bottom of each. Plug the hole put a quart in one, and a gallon in the other, put them over another quart container, and open up the holes. The buck, or jug with more volume in it will fill the quart up faster. Now all of this being said at the low HP levels you're looking at trying to run you have a bigger window for error, but it's still a guess. You'll be able to get it, but you'll need to sneak up on your tune-up.
I hope this helps explain it.

sloride
02-11-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by fryzll:
Ok guys, im pulling the Victor 460 intake off my engine and having it powder coated. I was wondering if anyone has their intake done and how does it look? Is it holding up around the exaust risers? The other thing is that I am setting up a nitrous system on it and I need to know what jets I should start up w/ on both the nitrous side and the fuel inrichment side. This system is being pieced together from various systems and it should be the same as a Super Power Shot system but my plate has no jets and I was wondering if anyone has a base line starting point for me. All I want to do is start off w/ a 75hp shot and maybe, BIG MAYBE, move up to a 150hp shot. The boat runs 4800rpm at 67mph on gps and I just want to get it up around 5300-5500 rpm. Thank for the help.
Chris
Hey fryzll, Guess I'll give you my two cents. about the selinoids, it realy makes no differents which ones you, or from which manufacture, if they flow they will work. As for the jets, you should call the plate maker, they all rate them differently, but 4 sizes between is a good rule, if from NOS a 32 happy gas and a 36 fuel is a good place to start. A 75hp load is very light, 9hp increase per hole, and your stock pistons if in good shape will be fine. If you should want to go to the 150 mark they won't work for long. Most important thing is DO NOT get a lean burn condition going on. So you don't think i'm blowing smoke I run three happy gas systems, A 125hp system on a big block elcamino, a progressive system on a street driven harley 130hp there and a 100hp on a 200hp Evie, and I enjoy each and every one. The evie has stock slugs and no problems. Just make sure you do your tuning, and if your motor has a stumble you my be lean listen to the motor it will tell you. Enjoy the HAPPY GAS it is a trip.

fryzll
02-14-2002, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the info sloride, it sounds like you have had some experience and thats what I was looking for.
Chris

sloride
02-17-2002, 03:28 PM
It was my pleasure, almost as much fun as the first time you push the button, one last thing. Just keep in mind, it is for short bursts, 7 or 8 seconds. Happy Gas is ment to get you to top speed not,just keep you there, even set right you can do damage. Enjoy your ride