PDA

View Full Version : Ford 460 Dooley oil pan dip stick Question

rerfert
10-16-2005, 07:33 PM
I bought a 79 Omega jet with a 460 Ford/looks like a 10 Qt Dooley oil pan...The boat did not come with a dipstick...the dip stick location is still the stock one on the front of the 460 block...Is there a special Dooley dip stick?? OR can I just get a aftermarket dip stick>fill the pan to 10 Qt's and make my mark?
ANY input would be great...Thanks

moneysucker
10-16-2005, 07:48 PM
DO NOT USE A CHEVY DIP STICK!!! DOn't ask how I know, but it is a little long and the crank will grab it and wrap it up and snap it off. Not a fun day on a new motor. I am not sure what dip stick my brother ended up using but I believe a stock ford dipstick will do it since the oil level will still be the same.

Oldsquirt
10-16-2005, 07:52 PM
I'm thinking the same as Moneysucker....the stock Ford dipstick should work. But I would also be inclined to call Dooley and find out for sure....(714) 630-6436

RiverRacer
10-17-2005, 07:08 AM
I bought a 79 Omega jet with a 460 Ford/looks like a 10 Qt Dooley oil pan...The boat did not come with a dipstick...the dip stick location is still the stock one on the front of the 460 block...Is there a special Dooley dip stick?? OR can I just get a aftermarket dip stick>fill the pan to 10 Qt's and make my mark?
The stock Ford item in the Front Cover will work fine on both the 10 and 14 quart Pans. So will one of the chrome Taiwanese types, as long as it goes in the stock location(Front Cover). RR

LakesOnly
10-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Confirm it is a 10-Qt pan.
Fill pan with the required amount of oil.
Install oem dipstick via the front cover and scribe dipstick where oil level is. This is your new max oil level for your new pan.
Install and run engine and circulate oil through your entire system (remote filters, lines, etc.). Turn off engine.
Recheck dipstick level and adjust as necessary to bring oil level to where it should be.
LO

rerfert
10-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Confirm it is a 10-Qt pan.
That was my next question...I didn't even know they made a 14 qt pan/So I figured it could be a 10 qt
http://www.yumaduners.com/albums/album41/Mvc_004s_001.sized.jpg
Fill pan with the required amount of oil.
(10 quarts so far) The oil pump is primed/moving oil thru the motor....ran the valves and installed more parts today.
Install oem dipstick via the front cover and scribe dipstick where oil level is.
I did find an old (OLD Very Very rusty dip stick in the boat after some more cleaning) IF it cleans up at all...I will check to see if it has a mark on it somewhere.
I will still get a new one Probably Chrome if not oem...should know if it is a 10 qt OR 14 qt by then.
This is your newmax oil level for your new pan.
Any more oil will do what?? froth up from the spinning crank??

Rexone
10-17-2005, 07:51 PM
That's a 10 quart pan.
Don't overfill. Answer to you last question is yes.

steelcomp
10-17-2005, 08:06 PM
You'll find that you'll be better off running no more than 9 qts in that pan, plus one in the filter. I ran 9 total in my 10 qt. Dooley, (8 in the pan, and 1 in the filter.)

Rexone
10-17-2005, 09:16 PM
You'll find that you'll be better off running no more than 9 qts in that pan, plus one in the filter. I ran 9 total in my 10 qt. Dooley, (8 in the pan, and 1 in the filter.)
Good advice (due to angle of engine in the boat, not desireable to have oil over the windage tray on one end.)

rerfert
10-17-2005, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the info....I had a 73 Kona a few years back with a 455 Olds (30 over car motor with a stock oil pan) and managed to keep it alive for 2 seasons till I sold it.
http://www.yumaduners.com/albums/album41/Mvc_004f_009.sized.jpg
This 79 Omega with the 460 has a few good parts in the motor and well worth the $800 I spent for the boat.