PDA

View Full Version : pertronics conversion with msd 6 al???

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-02-2003, 06:18 PM
I switched my distributor to a points set up and I want to install a peptronics set up. I also have a msd 6al box collecting dust in the shop that I want to use it. Will this set up be sufficient? Are there any drawbacks? I spoke to a msd rep today and he was a great guy with a lot of help;) He even faxed me a wiring diagram for the 6al box with the pertronics set up;) He said I will see great performance with this set up. What do you guys think? A couple of people told me to get the ignitor 2 instead of the ignitor 1 set up. Why would I need the 2nd version if I am running a msd 6 al box? i will be buying a kit tomorrow so help would be great. Also, crane makes the same set up as pertronics are they any better?

77charger
04-02-2003, 06:33 PM
I have a local shop that specializes in distributors he set me up with a pertronix and i loved it worked great very reliable.He also had an msd set up connected to the pertronix(a disply deal to show the arc)let me tell you ONE HOT SPARK.SIMULATED TO 8K IT JUST GOT BIGGER BRIGHTER.

MKE - POWER
04-02-2003, 07:51 PM
Hey guys! I'm new here but just read the info on Pertronics and had to post my .02. This afternoon
I was at Orange County Speed inquiring about some changes for my jetboat. I inquired about the MSD
billet upgrade and John suggested blueprinting my distributor with a Pertronics Ignitor II conversion. Much more cost effective vs MSD, and he could dial it to my setup. The Box is not required here, but could add to the performance.
If the box frys, the Pertronics will still work.
What do you think? I am considering this path as
he quoted @ $240.00 for complete conversion.

77charger
04-02-2003, 07:57 PM
MKE - POWER:
Hey guys! I'm new here but just read the info on Pertronics and had to post my .02. This afternoon
I was at Orange County Speed inquiring about some changes for my jetboat. I inquired about the MSD
billet upgrade and John suggested blueprinting my distributor with a Pertronics Ignitor II conversion. Much more cost effective vs MSD, and he could dial it to my setup. The Box is not required here, but could add to the performance.
If the box frys, the Pertronics will still work.
What do you think? I am considering this path as
he quoted @ $240.00 for complete conversion. Thats the shop i was talking about john did mine as well as a couple others here.He did a complete blueprint on my distributor as well as the pertronixs deal.I was very happy with the end result.he set mine up for my old jet boat as far as curve goes ask him to do that spark display thing on the counter if you havent seen it yet :)

MKE - POWER
04-02-2003, 08:28 PM
77charger
Do you recommend using the MSD box also? i saw the spark display, but did not fire it up.
I am also considering new carburetion and intake.
John showed me a Holley based carb by A.R.E?
They use all Holley parts and then bench flow as required. An 850 CFM for @$600; vs $725 for Holley
830CFM. Any ideas on an intake? Edelbrock Air-Gap2r dual plane vs Torquer single plane.
This was my first contact with John, but he was very cordial, over anxious to sell one particular
manufacturer.
I have a stock Marinepower 454mag/390hp.

77charger
04-02-2003, 08:52 PM
MKE - POWER:
77charger
Do you recommend using the MSD box also? i saw the spark display, but did not fire it up.
I am also considering new carburetion and intake.
John showed me a Holley based carb by A.R.E?
They use all Holley parts and then bench flow as required. An 850 CFM for @$600; vs $725 for Holley
830CFM. Any ideas on an intake? Edelbrock Air-Gap2r dual plane vs Torquer single plane.
This was my first contact with John, but he was very cordial, over anxious to sell one particular
manufacturer.
I have a stock Marinepower 454mag/390hp. I went without the msd.John has to be one of the most honest guys around if he feels you dont need a specific part he will tell you so instead of selling it to you anyways(for my application he told me the msd will not make much improvement)but rather set you up with something that will work out for you.Those carbs are awesome rt jas bought one and was very happy with the results.They are about a mile from me so i usually go there when i need something rightaway.

MKE - POWER
04-02-2003, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback!! John said the same thing about the 6AL box for my situation.
Sorry about the Type-o,forgot to say " NOT overly pushy to sell any Manu..." He was truely helpful.
I think I'll go with the CARB also.

77charger
04-02-2003, 09:08 PM
MKE - POWER:
Thanks for the feedback!! John said the same thing about the 6AL box for my situation.
Sorry about the Type-o,forgot to say " NOT overly pushy to sell any Manu..." He was truely helpful.
I think I'll go with the CARB also. Cool hope all works out.