PDA

View Full Version : Seeking First Boat / Any Advise??

asportbug
10-17-2005, 09:17 AM
I'll Be In The Market For My First Boat Right After The Holidays. I Can't Seem To Make Up My Mind Whether To Purchase New Or Used, Bowrider Or High Performance Mid Cuddy Open Bow. I'm Looking For Something In The 25' Range. My Buds At Work, One Owns A 25' Genesis The Other Just Purchased A 28' Ultra Both Loaded And Powered Up, Insist That I Should Go The High Performance Route. I'm Not Sure That Would Be Practical With Five Kids, But I've Been Looking At Laveys, Eliminators And Other Customs And I've Got To Admit I Really Dig The Look. The Little Woman Would Prefer A Chapparal Or Four Winns Deck In The 25' Range. I'll Admit That The Custom Is A Tough Sell At Home. The Little Woman Doesn't Understand Why We Need To Go 60+ Mph On The Water. Anyhow, Would Love To Hear From All You Experienced Hb's Out There....ladies Included.

a catered life
10-17-2005, 09:28 AM
first of all welcome to the boards and this is a great way to get in i see your in the AV hello neighbor
i am on my second boat and have 4 kids and i feel if you got 5 kids and a lil lady go with something that mid performance and wont kill your pocket. high performance stuff would be nice but reliable is better it better to be on the water with your boat than on the shore with the easy-up..open bow would be best for you or a deck would be great with that many family members you will need a 502 or a 496 to be able to get where you want to get in the same day. since its your first boat go used and learn the in's and out's first dont listen to your friend on this subject cause its your pocket that will have to pay for it in the end eliminator is what i have but there are so many brands out there take you time and look after christmas is a great time to buy good luck

Not So Fast
10-17-2005, 09:34 AM
DECKBOAT,CAT!!!!!!!!!!! Carrera,Conquest,Magic,Dominator,Cobra =Five kids + Happy little woman :D :D NSF

29Genesis
10-17-2005, 09:35 AM
I got a 29' Genesis if you are interested, i'm sure your buddy can tell you they are good boats. 496 HO with 37 Hrs, open bow, cuddy, 6,000 watt stereo system, (2) 12" & (2) 15" woofers, 3 amps, 12 Mids, 3 batteries, bimini, custom gel coat, custom trpile axle Extreme Trailer. Seats 10 comftorbale. E-Mail me for $ and pic's. OLOVERUTONY@aol.com

Flashover
10-17-2005, 09:37 AM
Welcome aboard,
Buy a 23' Dana. There you go thats all you need to know. :crossx: :crossx:
Seriously check out the website and PM me if you have any questions... :crossx: :crossx:

Outnumbered
10-17-2005, 09:38 AM
I know where you can find the perfect boat :wink:

Charley
10-17-2005, 09:38 AM
I suggest buying used and no bigger than 496 power....Use it for 2 seasons and you will know what you really want and wont end up taking a bath on the re-sale... there are some pretty fair deals going on around here right now... I think Phat Matt has a boat for sale as well as a few others.... good luck!

Desert Rat
10-17-2005, 09:42 AM
I agrre with C.L. IMO go used and learn the ins and outs. Nothing worse and finding out you need pratice docking your new boat by racking the side down the dock :( Alot of people go out on a boat with a friend or two and feel "man this is for me" only to find out they don't have the time, money or interest to really care for a boat. After all BOAT stands for break out another thousand on more then one occasion. Also if you are new to boating a 25' + boat will present alot more challenge than say a 21'. You have to consider storage issues with most boats over 21' too, they can be to big for most standard garages and then there is the tow rig.. Just my .02 Oh good luck and welcome to the boards and the wide wonderful world of boating

burtandnancy
10-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Charley pretty well nailed it. From now until next spring there will be an awful lot of boats for sale. Also consider where you will boat, on the river or the lakes close to home. Also, how about water sports, our grandkids can't get enough of knee boarding, tubing and such. If your kids want to do any or that, then you will have to consider the kind of hull to go with. Just remember to keep mama happy, and your boating experience will be fun for all

Not So Fast
10-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Pretty important question we all missed, WHERE will you be boating? That should be a huge part of your decision. Good Luck NSF

asportbug
10-17-2005, 09:51 AM
We'll Be Boating In Havasu And Mead Primarily. Storage Wont Be A Problem

Not So Fast
10-17-2005, 10:04 AM
We'll Be Boating In Havasu And Mead Primarily. Storage Wont Be A Problem
Anything less than 26 ft and you will get the crap beat out of you on Havasu and on Sat. it will be ten times worse, I live here and know of what I speak first hand. See my first reply for type of boat if the $$$$ are there, Again good luck. Oh yeah, TEST RIDE & DRIVE mandatory !!!!!!!!! No kidding :) NSF

TCHB
10-17-2005, 10:11 AM
1. Buy used
2. Colors must be clean and simple (resale)
3. Stock engine (under 90MPH is all the same) go to any Poker Run and you will see what I mean.
4. Stick with a name brand that has a good reputation.
5. Buy at least 28 and above for most lakes.
6. Open bow is great for the family, wife and resale.

burtandnancy
10-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Lots of good information coming here, but I'm going back to the water sports thing. Most kids will want to get into something. If theres going to be 7 of you aboard most of the time, and maybe some will be bringing friends or other family, you're looking at at least 25 feet and 28 is really nice. Deck boats are really great for large parties, but aren't the best for water toys. Please get some experienced person to take you out a few times to get the hang of docking, trailering and the safety aspects. You'll have yourself and 6 very important people to consider.
And finally, the LA Boat show is coming up just after the first of the year...

wantacat
10-17-2005, 12:32 PM
I got a 2003 28ft Nordic Heat for sale, mid cabin/open bow. Perfect family performance boat. 70hrs PM for details

bigkatboat
10-17-2005, 03:56 PM
In trying to help visitors at my home lake, Havasu I have found that "most" of the 'factory built' deck boats are underpowered. The deck offers seating for 8 adults, however the engine and drive are not up to the task. The boat is 'marginal' at 5 adults, and is actually straining to pull 'tubes and toys at that load. Each boat design and it's load will require a "certain amount of power" to do a particular job. You can run a small motor @ 90% throttle, or a larger motor @ 40% throttle to do the same work. A 250HP automobile today would be considered a 'performance car", but a 21/24' deck boat with 250HP would be considered "a base boat", and (IMHO) in need of a power upgrade. YES! you can drop down to a 17" pitch prop! But is a day of running your boat motor close to it's rev limiter in anyone's best interrests? I won't even try to compare a 'mod VP' style hull to a 'v- bottom' that has been modified to carry a larger load, I don't think it could be done. While you are test driving, try rough water RIDE, this will guide you in the correct direction.

Dribble
10-17-2005, 05:03 PM
If you really want to know what boat to buy just check out the Cobra vs Lavey thread. That should really clear things up for you. :boxingguy

Outnumbered
10-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Anything less than 26 ft and you will get the crap beat out of you on Havasu and on Sat. it will be ten times worse, I live here and know of what I speak first hand. See my first reply for type of boat if the $$$$ are there, Again good luck. Oh yeah, TEST RIDE & DRIVE mandatory !!!!!!!!! No kidding :) NSF
Have you ever ridden in a 24' Ultra Stealth? What about a 24' Lavey NuEra or even a Schiada 22'? I hardly think I'm getting the crap beat out of me any time in this boat. I've ran it thru the narrows at Powell on Labor Day and Memorial Day. That water is twice as bad as any weekend on Havi. Ya, its rough, but not beat you up rough. You DO NOT have to have a monster boat to get a nice ride. It has to do with the hull design.

Outnumbered
10-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Sorry but I have to SPAM my ride:
Have a look at this. I ran the Trader a few days ago online for HP boats 2002 and newer, 24' and over, under 70k, in AZ and CA. There were only about 5 that will come up. This is one of them. I don't think you can get a better quality boat in nicer condition for the money right now. Its close to $20k less than what a new one will run with T&L OTD. Easily will seat 10. Ask any 24 Stealth owner here about the room in this boat. Or do a search for info on the 24 Stealth. The interior is very roomy.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94807

prop check
10-17-2005, 06:00 PM
If you decide on the 251 genesis I have one for sale see the "selling my genesis" thread in the hot boat sections or pm me with any questions it's a great family boat.

asportbug
10-17-2005, 06:13 PM
I Saw Your Genesis The Day You Posted It For Sale. Nice Looking Boat, But I Think Its A Little Underpowered For My Crew. AS FOR THE STEALTH, I SWEAR I WAS GONNA PM YOU AND SCHEDULE A RIDE, BUT THE LITTLE WOMAN THOUGHT WE SHOULD WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE HOLIDAYS. VOICE OF REASON??? PROBABLY....DAMN HER!!!!

Outnumbered
10-17-2005, 06:33 PM
I Saw Your Genesis The Day You Posted It For Sale. Nice Looking Boat, But I Think Its A Little Underpowered For My Crew. AS FOR THE STEALTH, I SWEAR I WAS GONNA PM YOU AND SCHEDULE A RIDE, BUT THE LITTLE WOMAN THOUGHT WE SHOULD WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE HOLIDAYS. VOICE OF REASON??? PROBABLY....DAMN HER!!!!
You won't regret it. Its only been in the trader for a few days and I suspect once the word gets out there will be a lot of interest. They don't come up used often, if at all, since its a new model/design as of 2004.
Let me know.

BadKachina
10-17-2005, 07:12 PM
I'd buy the 42 Pokerrun Fountain with some big Sterlings, 4 seats, and no cabin. I guess you'll just have to leave the kids at home. :D :D Donzi has a no cabin 38 and Cigarette has the 36 Gladiator with no cabin, one of those will be my next boat. :mix:
Seriously the deck boats look really comfortable for a big families, they go fast, look good and have tons of space. Lots of good ones out there too, ***boat recently did a comparison on four of five models, check it out.

a catered life
10-17-2005, 08:59 PM
one thing we all forgot whats your price range and do you already have a tow rig?

termiteguy
10-17-2005, 09:06 PM
guys did you not read his first post he said it was his first boat!!!!!!!!
my first boat was 18foot then bought a new 23footer big differance.
imo you should start with a used boat between 23-25 it will handle the lakes
that you want to boat on. hell you dont even know if you and the family will
even enjoy boating or even carring for a boat not to mention the cost that is
involed.
good luck with your search and have fun :shift:

Outnumbered
10-17-2005, 09:13 PM
involed.
What he said :D

prop check
10-18-2005, 05:20 AM
yes it does have the 6.2 but it will do 58 mph on gps fully loaded four adults three small kids. and it pulls big skiers out with no problem. plus it is super easy on gas. good luck with all your shopping.

sxpilot
10-18-2005, 06:01 AM
involed.
Go to the Lake and Rent a Few times, with the whole Family before you step into a Big boat!
Good points, everyone thinks there whole family will enjoy it, true most kids like the boating thing, we thought our kids would like it as much as us....wrong!!! They will go out maybe 3 times in the season if that and this is just fine by my wife and I, this is our little get away from the kids toy :)
oh yeah and we have had both big and small boats...
As far as a first boat?
I strongly recommend you buy something used just to test the waters so to speak, something you dont have to worrie about if you accidently bump the docks, and believe me your first boat you will....lol
Now for the question? Size does matter but not as much as type of hull, Ins. plays a big part of this as well.
IMO in a boat less than 22' go with a Tunnel VP, in a boat this size you can still run in the 2' chop with a nice ride, and have more room then if you had a big engine to climb around. the fun factor and bang for the buck is WAY WAY up there. just food for thought
Last thing is keep the Mrs. happy but get what you want as well...
Good luck!

rrrr
10-18-2005, 06:38 AM
Now I'll get the cookie cutter jabs.... :hammer2:
Take a ride in a Chapparral 256. We bought one last June and love it. It has lots of storage- the ski locker in the floor is 3 feet wide, 2 feet deep, and 8' long. It has several built in coolers.
The head is awesome, actually big enough to get in and sit down. We got the optional porcelien head with a macerator pump. The ladies like it!
Our boat has a 496 HO, top speed is 57 or so. The way I look at the 496 Mag HO option: $5K to go 3 MPH faster. Not worth it.
Check out the features on the Chapparral website (http://www.chaparralboats.com/256ssi.htm)
http://www.chaparralboats.com/images/Pages/256ssi/images/256-SSi_01.gif
Now for the go fast part: Buy a V-drive. Worked for me :D :D

Big Warlock
10-18-2005, 08:15 AM
You can search some threads on here that discuss almost any kind of boat. My advice:
1) Buy used
2) Get something that your family will enjoy
3) Check out boattrader.com
Welcome and have a great time!!! We'll look forward to seeing you out on the water!!

bunny 166
10-18-2005, 08:34 AM
I hope you enjoy it here....
We have a Conquest and it works great for our family. Deckboats are awesome! We only have 2 kids, but my folks come alot with us, and there is plenty of room for all of our stuff. It rides great in chop and is easy to drive. I would be happy to give you a ride sometime if you like! Here's a pic I took at the sandbar from Labor day weekend :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2066IMG_1317.JPG

No Name
10-18-2005, 07:33 PM
I'll Be In The Market For My First Boat Right After The Holidays. I Can't Seem To Make Up My Mind Whether To Purchase New Or Used, Bowrider Or High Performance Mid Cuddy Open Bow. I'm Looking For Something In The 25' Range. My Buds At Work, One Owns A 25' Genesis The Other Just Purchased A 28' Ultra Both Loaded And Powered Up, Insist That I Should Go The High Performance Route. I'm Not Sure That Would Be Practical With Five Kids, But I've Been Looking At Laveys, Eliminators And Other Customs And I've Got To Admit I Really Dig The Look. The Little Woman Would Prefer A Chapparal Or Four Winns Deck In The 25' Range. I'll Admit That The Custom Is A Tough Sell At Home. The Little Woman Doesn't Understand Why We Need To Go 60+ Mph On The Water. Anyhow, Would Love To Hear From All You Experienced Hb's Out There....ladies Included.
Buy as big as you can afford or you will end up like me and want to sell it after the first season. :hammer2:

Havasu_Dreamin
10-18-2005, 07:46 PM
I suggest buying used and no bigger than 496 power....Use it for 2 seasons and you will know what you really want and wont end up taking a bath on the re-sale... there are some pretty fair deals going on around here right now... I think Phat Matt has a boat for sale as well as a few others.... good luck!
Best advice that you can get. Especially sicne there is no cheerleading in it.