PDA

View Full Version : New Kind of Boating Experience - for us

burtandnancy
10-17-2005, 09:36 AM
As some of you know, Nancy & I pulled back from recreational/hot boating to look at other things to do (after 30+ years and 30+ boats). At first we looked at fractional ownership of a boat located in Newport Beach. Nancy fell in love with a 61' Sunseeker Preditor. I had trouble convincing her that 82 days per year was a lot of trips to Mexico, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Barbara and such. So we put that on back burner for a while and in the meantime we CHARTERED a boat to take our 8 adult kids and 8 grandkids on a 12 hour day trip to Catalina. WOW, was that fabulous. Many of the family had never been on the ocean, many never to Catalina. We had a great time, great ride, great dolphin show, toured the island, lunched and shopped. But the greatest was when we got back. No one had to wash it down, take out the trash or refuel it, we just thanked the skipper and walked away. That was a first for us.
I really recommend this kind of boating for large families that can't do it all at once like we did. I also think Nancy & I saved about a quater mil doing it this way.

Havasu Hangin'
10-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Sounds like fun, especially the not washing it down part.
Yep. Also, since I am the only one that can drive the boat and truck, I almost feel like I am the charter captain every trip. It sure would be nice to relax once in awhile.

Charley
10-17-2005, 10:13 AM
As some of you know, Nancy & I pulled back from recreational/hot boating to look at other things to do (after 30+ years and 30+ boats). At first we looked at fractional ownership of a boat located in Newport Beach. Nancy fell in love with a 61' Sunseeker Preditor. I had trouble convincing her that 82 days per year was a lot of trips to Mexico, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Barbara and such. So we put that on back burner for a while and in the meantime we CHARTERED a boat to take our 8 adult kids and 8 grandkids on a 12 hour day trip to Catalina. WOW, was that fabulous. Many of the family had never been on the ocean, many never to Catalina. We had a great time, great ride, great dolphin show, toured the island, lunched and shopped. But the greatest was when we got back. No one had to wash it down, take out the trash or refuel it, we just thanked the skipper and walked away. That was a first for us.
I really recommend this kind of boating for large families that can't do it all at once like we did. I also think Nancy & I saved about a quater mil doing it this way.
Sounds like a great day.... I wonder if any ***boaters with families would wanna split a charter based on head count..... we could get some sandwiches, soda and beer and make a day of it..... was the charter expen$ive? :(

burtandnancy
10-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Charley, no the charter was very inexplensive compared to the option of boat ownership (which I'm very experienced at). We did exactly as you suggested, took our own snacks, drinks and did not use the third crew member, the chef. The cost of the boat, fuel, crew, dock fee at Catalina, was between $2500 and $3000. As they say, the experience was priceless. Our particular boat, a 70 footer could easily hold many more than our group of 18, and we roamed the boat freely. Nancy and I look forward to doing it again and again, just don't know what the next destination will be...

Ultrafied
10-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Yep. Also, since I am the only one that can drive the boat and truck, I almost feel like I am the charter captain every trip. It sure would be nice to relax once in awhile.
LOL ... know exactly what you mean!! :D

HocusPocus
10-17-2005, 02:11 PM
the wife and i have talked about doing that.. but never actually looked into it.
do you have the contact info of the charter you used?

Charley
10-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Charley, no the charter was very inexplensive compared to the option of boat ownership (which I'm very experienced at). We did exactly as you suggested, took our own snacks, drinks and did not use the third crew member, the chef. The cost of the boat, fuel, crew, dock fee at Catalina, was between $2500 and $3000. As they say, the experience was priceless. Our particular boat, a 70 footer could easily hold many more than our group of 18, and we roamed the boat freely. Nancy and I look forward to doing it again and again, just don't know what the next destination will be...
so $100 each with a group of 30.... Id be interested

Jordy
10-17-2005, 03:57 PM
That's the way to do it... I've had a few times where I was seemingly the tour captain as we got the boat out of the water and the "tourists" disappeared. Having no responsibilities is great. :D :D :D

Riverkid
10-17-2005, 03:59 PM
We have a family friend with a totally cherry 1965 Chris Craft 65' Constellation out of Newport available for private charters. They even have an overnight deal down in the harbor for those that would just like to have a nice dinner, some wine and sack out on the boat...
We have used him every year for quite a while for corporate trips during the Xmas boat parade. Only guy around that will let you bring your own food and drinks aboard I am aware of, too.
Great guy. PM me for contact info if you'd like to get ahold of him. He also used to tolerate us punk kids with a twin Teague 509 Fountain coming in late from the bars a long time ago...

burtandnancy
10-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Hocus, I knew someone would ask that, I'll see if I kept any of the paper work around. Maybe the net will list the boat and its charter company. The boat was the White Light and the charter company was near the stacks in Newport. I'll get back when I find the info...

dirty old man
10-18-2005, 09:48 AM
wish we had this at Mead, someone had it a long time ago at Powell

HocusPocus
10-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Hocus, I knew someone would ask that, I'll see if I kept any of the paper work around. Maybe the net will list the boat and its charter company. The boat was the White Light and the charter company was near the stacks in Newport. I'll get back when I find the info...
of course someone was gonna ask that. :D :D
thanks for any info you can pass along. :)

spectras only
10-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Nancy and I look forward to doing it again and again, just don't know what the next destination will be...
Burt , you an Nancy could make a trip to b.c next summer. We have a couple of boats to choose from , all you have to do is chip in for gas . My friends have some pretty places over vanc island . One of them is 1200 cdn a week right on the water . Here are some pics of the view and houses .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/donzi1.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/donzi10.jpg
Just looking out for an ex Spectra owner :cool:
this one is my friend's brother's place , ca 500 yards from the pictures
http://www.breakawayvacations.com/properties.php?id=52

burtandnancy
10-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Spectra's, great idea, I printed out the brochure. We go to the Pacific N/W almost every year as we have friends in Bremerton. This year we went to McMinneville, Or as well as Bend. Be careful, I may take you up on that boat ride...

spectras only
10-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Spectra's, great idea, I printed out the brochure. We go to the Pacific N/W almost every year as we have friends in Bremerton. This year we went to McMinneville, Or as well as Bend. Be careful, I may take you up on that boat ride...
Burt , no worries ! We'll have the 35' capsule boat with a 572 ready by april , in case it rains on ya . We have the little 19' spectra also if you want to rattle your bones for good times sake :rollside:
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/spectra%2019%20OK%20Falls

spectras only
10-18-2005, 02:51 PM
BTW , did you guys go the the air museum in McMinneville ?
We stayed for a day this summer to check it out .Pretty awesome display .