PDA

View Full Version : New washer and gas dryer?

cdog
05-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Boring topic I know. But what brand is good and where should I buy? I'm looking at the whirlpool Duet front loads at costco. Home depot? Lowels? Howards? Sears? Maytag? Anyone Anyone?

Jbb
05-11-2006, 12:22 PM
I work with a guy who repairs them as a side business ....He says Whirlpool duet is top of the line...

cdog
05-11-2006, 12:27 PM
There's so many dam choices?

Mrs_Wally_Gator
05-11-2006, 12:34 PM
I have the Maytag Neptune series from Sears and I love them. My Dryer is the one with the drying cabnit on top, it is great. Just my 2cents worth of info.

Rod-64
05-11-2006, 12:34 PM
I bought a Maytag last year and have gone through 3 transmissions already. :mad: It still sounds like a jet taking off on spin cycle.
So much for the lonely Maytag repairman.........should have kept my 12 year old Kenmore which never needed repairing.

Rod-64
05-11-2006, 12:38 PM
There's so many dam choices?
There's the problem......This company is made by that company and so on, you don't know what the hell you're buying these days.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-11-2006, 12:40 PM
I bought my washer and dryer from Lowes. It's the Performa Brand which is basically just the Maytag, or maybe Whirlpool I forget, model that is built and labled specifically for Lowes.

a catered life
05-11-2006, 12:49 PM
I bought my washer and dryer from Lowes. It's the Performa Brand which is basically just the Maytag, or maybe Whirlpool I forget, model that is built and labled specifically for Lowes.
thats right i co-own a smalll trucking business that does all the deliveries for a few lowes and that what we were told...same maker better price almost same warrenty.......
and rod if you would stop having crazy sex on top of the dam dryers then the dam trannies would go out... :p :rollside:

pm069
05-11-2006, 12:54 PM
thats right i co-own a smalll trucking business that does all the deliveries for a few lowes and that what we were told...same maker better price almost same warrenty.......
and rod if you would stop having crazy sex on top of the dam dryers then the dam trannies would go out... :p :rollside:
That theres funny. lmao. Don't forget the spin cycle on the washer either. :p

Mrs.Killer
05-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Maytag will rip you off.Not sure about Howards the other choices sound good.

Rod-64
05-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Must be your goofy juice, Willy. :crossx:

bilgewiper
05-11-2006, 02:37 PM
I hope the Neptune series has improved since the 1st generation. My Neptune washer lasted only 2-3 years. Sounded like Rod-64's till the drum bearings burned up. My parents, Aunt, and another friend all bought about the same time, all have had major problems with the washers. Although, the Neptune dryer (elec) is still going strong after 5-6 years even if one of the 3 paddles has broken off the drum. We run between 16-20 loads a week thru it. (Foster Care) . I personally wouldn't buy another Maytag.

cdog
05-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Just got back from Sears. The Maytag Neptune is on sale over there for a pretty good deal. Looks like I'm gonna go that route. I'll save 10% when I buy them with my dad's sears card. Jeeze this stuff is pricy. :eek:
The neptune was the only one with the stainless steel drum inside.

revndave
05-11-2006, 03:16 PM
I own an appliance repair company.I would go with Whirlpool.Top load or front load.Lowes has good prices.I have to work on Neptunes all the time. :yuk: They also have a mold problem. :yuk: Just my thoughts.

BOBALOO
05-11-2006, 03:29 PM
If you dont mind having a small scratch or dent on the machines try the Sears outlet in Corona, Santa Ana or Ontario. They have TONS of new washing machines, refridgerators,ranges,and ovens. I bought a 3k double oven new but no box for 1400$ and there is only one small scratch under the handle that I would have to point out for you to see.
They have 50% off sales all the time and sometimes have an addl 100$ off 399$ or more. Sears card is good there also. I just wish I knew about them before I bought my Kenmore front loaders.
I think the new Neptunes are supposedly better than the old ones. I believe there was a class action suit for those machines. Clothes smelled like mold and the drive or something was always breaking.

revndave
05-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Beware on Sears outlet appliances.Most are junk.Many have been dropped.10% are ok.

cdog
05-11-2006, 03:46 PM
I own an appliance repair company.I would go with Whirlpool.Top load or front load.Lowes has good prices.I have to work on Neptunes all the time. :yuk: They also have a mold problem. :yuk: Just my thoughts.
I think you're right. I've been online doing some research and there is a class action lawsuit against maytag for the older neptune model. It's too bad. It looks like a well built machine.

Cole Trickle
05-11-2006, 03:48 PM
If you dont mind having a small scratch or dent on the machines try the Sears outlet in Corona, Santa Ana or Ontario. They have TONS of new washing machines, refridgerators,ranges,and ovens. I bought a 3k double oven new but no box for 1400$ and there is only one small scratch under the handle that I would have to point out for you to see.
They have 50% off sales all the time and sometimes have an addl 100$ off 399$ or more. Sears card is good there also. I just wish I knew about them before I bought my Kenmore front loaders.
I think the new Neptunes are supposedly better than the old ones. I believe there was a class action suit for those machines. Clothes smelled like mold and the drive or something was always breaking.
I bought a $1500 side by side fridge from the Santa Ana outlet 3 years ago.
I paid $800
6months ago the compressor went out and it cost me $500
2 weeks ago the starter went out and it cost me $200
So basicly I paid full price for a Kenmoore fridge that is gonna take a crap on me and it has a sweet dent in the corner to boot :yuk: :cry:
I have had hand me down fridges that were 20 years old that have never needed to be reparied once. :argue:

cdog
05-11-2006, 04:03 PM
I had problems with my Frigidaire fridge I bought from the santa ana outlet. With the money I saved I bought the 3 year warranty. Sold the POS with the house now I need a new one.
How about the Kenmore washer and dryers. I've read that they are made my whirlpool but have better ratings.

BOBALOO
05-11-2006, 04:07 PM
I have had hand me down fridges that were 20 years old that have never needed to be reparied once. :argue:
Yeah but they were Avocado green or Mustard orange :rollside:
They dont make crap like they used to do they but I think if stuff was going to have a problem it would show up before 2 1/2 years.
NEW ADVICE.... DONT buy from the outlet.

Flying Tiger
05-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Consumer Reports said the Maytag Neptune Sux the month after I bought my set and they are right.
Paid 2K.
At least 6 major, unresolved problems.
After a class action lawsuit in Chicago,, I got a check from Maytag for $500.
Stick with WhirlPool, though I think the two companies merged.
If COSTCO sells units, ya have 6 months to return them if they suk.

Cole Trickle
05-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Yeah but they were Avocado green or Mustard orange :rollside:
They dont make crap like they used to do they but I think if stuff was going to have a problem it would show up before 2 1/2 years.
NEW ADVICE.... DONT buy from the outlet.
Avocado and mustard fridges are doing a great job cooling beers in alot of peoples garages!! :cry:
It was great for 3 years so I am glad I skipped on the warranty.
The washer and dryer are still going strong so I guess I am ahead of the game;)
<------ knocks on wood
When I sell the vett I can affoed to upgrade to a Sub Zero :p

Danhercules
05-11-2006, 05:23 PM
I have a Kenmore Cylipso. Works killer. I get real dirty and the wife loves this washer. Only bad thing, is GET THE WARRENTY!! We have used it a few times. The repair man told us to keep the warrenty.

gnRacer98
05-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Whirlpool builds Kenmore (maybe others) and owns Maytag. In case you missed the news the other day Maytag is being discontinued in the next year or two, probably due to all the waranty issues over the last 5 yrs.

brianthomas
05-11-2006, 06:12 PM
I have a three year old set of Maytag Neptune. Other than breaking, leaking and molding they are great. Never again.

2Driver
05-11-2006, 06:24 PM
warm and fuzzy feeling just reading all the good responses without anyone jumping your crap :rollside: :) :rollside: What's this place coming to?

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-11-2006, 06:25 PM
I just got a set of Fridgidaire front loaders in December. I wouldn't recommend the brand. Computer on the washer went out after the first load and since it was now "used" I had to wait 4 weeks to get a replacement. And I got it from Standards of Excellence. You'd think a higher end store would stand behind what they sell better than that. The only reason I got a new one is because, thankfully, I used the credit card and had them cancel the charges. I'll always do that on big ticket items from now on.
I do love the front loaders, though.

sorry dog
05-11-2006, 08:25 PM
I just got a set of Fridgidaire front loaders in December. I wouldn't recommend the brand. Computer on the washer went out after the first load and since it was now "used" I had to wait 4 weeks to get a replacement. And I got it from Standards of Excellence. You'd think a higher end store would stand behind what they sell better than that. The only reason I got a new one is because, thankfully, I used the credit card and had them cancel the charges. I'll always do that on big ticket items from now on.
I do love the front loaders, though.
That's what I got 6 months ago, but I guess I got lucky - read a lot about the boards burning up, but mine is the less complicated model. Some folks also complain about the mold from the seal trapping water, but mine has a drain to the boot they added and I leave the door open sometime so no problems there. Also heard the drum bearings go bad, so I run the spin on medium. On high you barely need the dryer afterwards but it sure sounds like a plane on takeoff...can't be good for the bearings.
It's cleans damn good so for $450 I think it's hard to beat.
The LG's look sweet but I don't know much about those...

david_396
05-11-2006, 08:58 PM
On my Maytag Neptune I had Replace the tub bearings, the tub Shaft and the plasic outer tub. The the bearing had frozen onto the shaft. :cry:
My old Maytag is still in the barn as a backup. Not problem with the old one that is 20 years old beyond a hose or two during it's lifetime.

ROZ
05-11-2006, 11:19 PM
We bought our Kenmore elite He4 front loading chingaderas year ago from the scratch and dent... Wouldn't have spent so much and went for it since we were saving about 800.00... nothing was wrong.. they customer didn't like the color super effecient washer..that practically spins dry on it's own.. dryer only needs about 25 mins to dry my jeans... my ohter half works at a hospital, so the super sanitize mode was a plus..
great luck so far... my parents have the same but older version that have been working great for atleast 8 years..
We do big loads of laundry, too.. what use to be 5 or 6 loads is now 3 or 4...

Kilrtoy
05-12-2006, 12:27 AM
Boring topic I know. But what brand is good and where should I buy? I'm looking at the whirlpool Duet front loads at costco. Home depot? Lowels? Howards? Sears? Maytag? Anyone Anyone?
Sears outletif you have one close by 50 miles or less...
otherwise lowes or home depot