PDA

View Full Version : i have a few good questions:::::

Riverat84
10-17-2005, 05:36 PM
hey all, hows everything going?...i just bought that eliminator in the ava. and the muffler inserts he had were blown out basically, so i didnt take em....where can i get some real good inserts for my bassets?? and also, is it possible/smart to install twin tranny coolers on my suburban in front of my radiator instead of the usual 'one'?
thanx for the future info... :hammer2:

sanger rat
10-17-2005, 05:38 PM
What wrong with the cooler you have now.

Ralph Brunt
10-17-2005, 05:41 PM
boat dont weigh that much, maybe upgrade to a bigger one if you are concerned my .02

Riverat84
10-17-2005, 06:00 PM
i just have the stock bs one that goes inside through the radiator...kragen has a universal one for 60 bucks...im just asking if its smart to hook up two thats all.

myoung
10-17-2005, 06:50 PM
You don't need two, just an efficient one. Don't get the old antiquated tube and fin type, get the plate style one. Sorry, I don't know the actual name for the style it is. The plate style ones don't let the fluid travel through as fast as the tube ones and can cool the fluid more. It also doesn't require the same size plate cooler to accomplish what an equivalent tube one does. This works out great for when you have the room to go to a bigger one than you really need. I put one in my Suburban that is actually ment for motorhomes, but it is still small enough that I was able to squeeze it in between the condensor and my auxiliary fan. If you have the 454 as well, you should have the auxiliary fan too, small blocks don't usually have them. Also, go ahead and run the fluid through the radiator cooler before running it through the other cooler, this basically does what you're thinking of doing, two coolers.
One question for you, are you running a 4L80 trans? If you are, you can go ahead and tow in overdrive and you wont have the problems you would with a 700R or 4L60. Running a 4L80 in overdrive will actually keep it cooler.

Riverat84
10-17-2005, 06:57 PM
You don't need two, just an efficient one. Don't get the old antiquated tube and fin type, get the plate style one. Sorry, I don't know the actual name for the style it is. The plate style ones don't let the fluid travel through as fast as the tube ones and can cool the fluid more. It also doesn't require the same size plate cooler to accomplish what an equivalent tube one does. This works out great for when you have the room to go to a bigger one than you really need. I put one in my Suburban that is actually ment for motorhomes, but it is still small enough that I was able to squeeze it in between the condensor and my auxiliary fan. If you have the 454 as well, you should have the auxiliary fan too, small blocks don't usually have them. Also, go ahead and run the fluid through the radiator cooler before running it through the other cooler, this basically does what you're thinking of doing, two coolers.
One question for you, are you running a 4L80 trans? If you are, you can go ahead and tow in overdrive and you wont have the problems you would with a 700R or 4L60. Running a 4L80 in overdrive will actually keep it cooler.
haha, no man i have a 350 w/ a 700r4....the only prob. a weak tranny...okay, im down for the other plate-styled ones. i do not have the auxilary fan though...do you know where exactly i can find a plate-style one???

Riverat84
10-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Rex Marine Home /// Rex Online Store /// PowerSilencers
Riverrat 84, There's this good ol' boy that hangs around this website and he can hook you up with whatever you might need including inserts for your headers. His name is Mikey but you can just call him 'HERO". Go to www.rexmar.com
Rio
right on bro, but is that his site? how do i get ahold of him directly? thanx alot.

myoung
10-17-2005, 08:35 PM
haha, no man i have a 350 w/ a 700r4....the only prob. a weak tranny...okay, im down for the other plate-styled ones. i do not have the auxilary fan though...do you know where exactly i can find a plate-style one???
Yeah, most are 350's, just throwin out info if you had the 454. You can get the Hayden coolers at any Pep Boys or you can take a run over to Team-C in Bellflower and see what they carry. I run the Hayden on mine.

Aluminum Squirt
10-18-2005, 07:43 AM
If you run an external cooler separate from your radiator one, make sure it is plumbed in after the radiator cooler, so that the fluid sees a real cooler before heading back into the trans. The radiator cooler isn't bad but you need to realize it is also a warmer when you start your motor, it warms your trans fluid up fast, probably to around 210, but later on when you are towing and your fluid is on the + side of 210 (or 180...whatever)it is acting as a cooler. That's a little confusing even to me, does that make sense? If you are towing a lot and stay in california, you may not want to use the radiator cooler at all, as you don't need anything adding temperature to your trans, even at start up. Realize that it is possible to over cool a transmission and that is bad too-Aluminum Squirt

Sherpa
10-18-2005, 01:21 PM
make sure when/if you mount an accesory cooler that the bracketry allows
movement of the cooler.....
I did a kick-ass job of mounting a cooler on my f250 diesel with really nice
custom brackets, only to find the cooler somehow got a crack in it from
engine vibration in the following year...........
so, mount it using rubber grommets or the like so it can move without
rubbing/touching anything.......
--Sherpa

lucky
10-18-2005, 01:49 PM
right on bro, but is that his site? how do i get ahold of him directly? thanx alot.
you can usually get a hold of him by the ears , but becarful , he bites :coffeycup