PDA

View Full Version : Updated Lake James Map

DaveA
10-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Here's more info on this map:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/176updated_image_map.gif
Me & the wife drove out to Lake James this afternoon to 'scout out th' route' and look at the ramps shown on the map. As you can see, it's only 6 miles from I-40, Exit 94 to Canal Bridge ramp, and it's an easy trip- unlike going to Linville way up the North end of the lake. We went up there, and man, it was a long trip back to I-40! In either case, it's a long ride from the lake to the Hampton Inn at Exit 105, Morganton, but it's alot shorter time-wise from Canal Bridge. The trip over to the island is alot shorter, too, for those fuel-challenged boats (right, John??).
Driving in from Exit 94 is easy because Mountain Harbour Marina has alot of signs posted at every intersection where you would turn, so just watch for them and it'll get you to Canal Bridge ramp.
I stopped by Benfield's Landing and met Scott Hunt at the store. He said if you need fuel, call ahead on the cell phone and he'll come down and unlock the pumps for you. CASH ONLY. The adjacent campground is closed for the season, but you can camp at Lake James State Park if you wish. It's just down the road about 2 miles west of the Hidden Cove ramps. He said, why not just stay on the island? I know some have done it, and, unlike some of the other lakes on down the Catawba chain, they're alot more laid-back about it on Lake James. He remembers the boats from last year, and is looking forward to seeing them again.
Fuel is also available at Mountain Harbour Marina, but I didn't get to stop by there. They're right across from Canal Bridge ramp.
Of course, if you're able to fuel on the trip in & out each day, that's ALOT cheaper.
If the Hampton Inn is full, the Holiday Inn is just South of I-40 from the Hampton. There's also the Red Carpet Inn next to the Hampton, if you're into deep discount motels. My wife's not a fan of camping, and thinks roughing it means staying at Motel 6. She equates the Red Carpet with a Coleman tent....just in case you're wondering. There aren't really any other places along the Interstate further west until you get to Marion. And since it's ten miles in the other direction at Exit 85, it's no further than going to Morganton from the lake.
If anybody has any further information, post away! Print this map out for yourselves if you find it useful to bring along.

MarKist
10-18-2005, 05:03 AM
now why can't Huffer find this shit out he's lives rite there???are you learning anything Huffer??? :rolleyes: my hats off to you Dave Great job :wink:
Markist

Huffer
10-18-2005, 09:43 AM
GREAT JOB DAVE!RIGHT AT YOUR FINGER TIPS,A WORLD FULL OF KNOWLEDGE,AMAZING ISN'T IT!DONE MINE LAST YEAR!NO COMPUTER
BEHIND THE WHEEL OF THE TRUCK I DRIVE EVERYNIGHT!

MarKist
10-19-2005, 08:03 AM
GREAT JOB DAVE!RIGHT AT YOUR FINGER TIPS,A WORLD FULL OF KNOWLEDGE,AMAZING ISN'T IT!DONE MINE LAST YEAR!NO COMPUTER
BEHIND THE WHEEL OF THE TRUCK I DRIVE EVERYNIGHT!
Huffer, I don't think you read his post rite! becauce if you did you would have read the part about him and his wife was out "RIDING" around Lake James,not sitting there hitting the keys :eek:
Markist

shirkey4750
10-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Not fuel challeneged this year Dave, I have two 20 gallon tanks in the Howard, one of the new guys coming, has a Cole hydro with a 7 gallon T tank. Hell I may even go on a tour of the lake in the welfare boat.

Jr Jetter
10-19-2005, 03:20 PM
Excellent job Dave !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MarKist
10-19-2005, 05:13 PM
Not fuel challeneged this year Dave, I have two 20 gallon tanks in the Howard, one of the new guys coming, has a Cole hydro with a 7 gallon T tank. Hell I may even go on a tour of the lake in the welfare boat.
that's what i'm talkin bout!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Markist

DaveA
10-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Yea, I know you're not, anymore. John from Jacksonville FL would probably be, tho. He's the one I was thinking about- if he brings the dragster again. Hope he can run it.
With the map, you ought to enjoy a looong tour of Lake James! I plan to do the same thing, esp if the wife decides to come along. She'll have to wear the earplugs full time in the Raysoncraft, tho! :D

shirkey4750
10-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Gives us out of staters a good view of the lake plus different ways of getting there. You did a very good job on the research. I think Johns boat is out of commison right now.

MarKist
10-28-2005, 09:11 AM
bump :p :p
Markist