PDA

View Full Version : Rocks in pump GRRR!

maxwedge
10-18-2005, 07:03 AM
So I finallly got out to the lake to try my new GPS Sat. Its goes about 10.7 MPH @ 2000 RPM, before the really bad vibration starts. My gifted brother, in an attempt to beach the boat "just a little farther", gave it a huge burst of throttle with the intake just inches above these rocks. These two were still clinging to what's left of the impellor after we idled back 7 miles to the boat ramp and trailered 30 miles home. Judging by the number of rocks I heard hitting the backside of the pump from 50 feet away on the shore, I'd guess there are a few in the bowl side as well. My brother seems to think that all the nicks, and the large chunk now missing from this impellor can be fixed. I say he owes me a new one. What do you guys think?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/2890impellor_004-med.jpg

1978 Rogers
10-18-2005, 07:35 AM
How close are you and your brother. They can only be re-sharpened a couple times. I say new impeller. If he likes driving on the rocks, go stainless and put the rock grate back on.
I don't start mine is shallow water because of this. Some will say its no big deal, its a jet, what can happen? The picture you posted is what can happen. Good luck.

1978 Rogers
10-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Also, instead of beaching on a rock shore. Invest in an anchor. This will save on the hull from banging on the rocks.

79Challenger
10-18-2005, 07:45 AM
I wonder... how do the shallow water aluminum guys keep the rocks out. I have a grate, but the fins are all one direction and are atleast an 1 1/2 apart. I won't usually start the boat unless the water is 3' or more. Even then it really should be a sandy bottom.

maxwedge
10-18-2005, 07:57 AM
How close are you and your brother. They can only be re-sharpened a couple times. I say new impeller. If he likes driving on the rocks, go stainless and put the rock grate back on.
I don't start mine is shallow water because of this. Some will say its no big deal, its a jet, what can happen? The picture you posted is what can happen. Good luck.
Yeah Umm...I used to like him ok, but he lives 300miles away and I won't see him again until christmas, so a good ass kicking is not out of the question. LOL.
I know the nicks can be filed out, it's the large chuck missing near the shaft on the one blade that has me concerned. Sombody told me to use JB weld epoxy and then file it to shape. Said it worked on their Jet Ski. Has anyone tried this?

maxwedge
10-18-2005, 08:02 AM
I have a grate on this boat too, but it's way bigger than these rocks. To give my brother some credit, it looked deeper than it was, and it's mostly mud with a few rocks mixed in.

hack job
10-18-2005, 08:07 AM
i would not jb weld it. that could come off at speed and go through the pump
i would invest in a new impellor and keep your brother away from the boat. just my .02 no jb weld.

H2OT TIMES
10-18-2005, 08:17 AM
I would get a new one. If your brother didn't know better I'd forgive and forget. If he knew better I'd ask him to pay for it.

maxwedge
10-18-2005, 08:36 AM
I would get a new one. If your brother didn't know better I'd forgive and forget. If he knew better I'd ask him to pay for it.
Oh yeah...He damn well should have known better. He's been around boats for 20+ years. Just that he knows it's not his, so he dosn't really care as much. Of course, I have no love for his wacker powered bass boat, but I wouldn't try to run it up on the shore with the motor either.

1978 Rogers
10-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Oh yeah...He damn well should have known better. He's been around boats for 20+ years. Just that he knows it's not his, so he dosn't really care as much. Of course, I have no love for his wacker powered bass boat, but I wouldn't try to run it up on the shore with the motor either.
If this is the case, have him get you a new impeller or you could beach his boat next time. "Oh crap, I forgot to raise the drive. Sorry bro." :D

Ultra Compulsive
10-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Don't let you brother drive the boat again.

Tahiti350
10-18-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm with '78Rogers on this one (hi Chris).
Borrow the fish chopper, and make a good run at the shore with the whacker down (and your brother in the boat), and then after you "beach" it, look him in the eyes and tell him "my bad, sorry", then just get out and drive home.
I don't like beaching, but if I do I shut down and raise the 1/2 whacker (outdrive) BEFORE I pull it up.
Your Bro needs to pay up.

SmokinLowriderSS
10-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Assuming you are not running enough HP to beat an Aluminum impeller, your bro owes you $250 IMO. That'll just about get you a new impeller. 'course, you COULD upgrade to S. Steel and stick him with half of $900, just in case you let someone LIKE him drive it. :D
Make him PERMENANT "shotgun rider", passenger seat only. :hammerhea
The nicks could be filed but the chunk missing is "terminal". Put a fork in it, it's done.

Rampager
10-18-2005, 06:08 PM
The "aluminum boat guys" usually run a rock grate with 8-9 bars in them spaced about 1/2" apart.
Of course having a SS impeller helps a ton too!
That comment about 3' of water made me laugh, I'd say the same about 3" maybe LOL
(you gotta do it to understand.......)
Cheers

Aluminum Squirt
10-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Anything that makes it through my grate gets shot out the back. Haven't looked at my impeller recently but I seldom see any change in top RPM/speed, even after some heavy rock abuse-Aluminum Squirt

Rampager
10-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Wish I had access to a digital cam before i put the pump back together Squirt. My alum imp was trashed pretty good. Still looks like crappola but at least its somewhat sharp!?!?! I was shocked how bad the trailing edges looked but musta had a rock half between bowl and imp, NOT good!
Cheers

Jeanyus
10-18-2005, 07:03 PM
I wonder... how do the shallow water aluminum guys keep the rocks out. I have a grate, but the fins are all one direction and are atleast an 1 1/2 apart. I won't usually start the boat unless the water is 3' or more. Even then it really should be a sandy bottom.
Starting in shallow water with a sandy bottom is not good either. The sand gets sucked up and run through the engine block, where it settels, and iterupts cooling flow.
I push my boat out and row a little, but sand still comes out when I drain the block for winter.

79Challenger
10-19-2005, 07:35 AM
Starting in shallow water with a sandy bottom is not good either. The sand gets sucked up and run through the engine block, where it settels, and iterupts cooling flow.
I push my boat out and row a little, but sand still comes out when I drain the block for winter.
Good point. I should of thought about the guy I saw try to "tune" his blower boat on the trailer in the water. His chiller filled up with sand in about 3 minutes.

Aluminum Squirt
10-19-2005, 07:51 AM
I respect these guys with pristine razor sharp SS impellers and tight tolerances, but with all the rocks and sand I've sent through my pump and no loss in actual GPS speed or RPM's, I don't pay that much attention to what I run over or what my impeeler looks like. Probably makes a little more difference if you are drag racing or going 100MPH. Unless you are racing, get a rock grate, maybe replace that al impeller with a new one and leave it alone. Good point with the sand though, try to keep that out of there or get a sand trap/sea strainer-Aluminum Squirt

maxwedge
10-19-2005, 08:29 AM
I respect these guys with pristine razor sharp SS impellers and tight tolerances, but with all the rocks and sand I've sent through my pump and no loss in actual GPS speed or RPM's, I don't pay that much attention to what I run over or what my impeeler looks like. Probably makes a little more difference if you are drag racing or going 100MPH. Unless you are racing, get a rock grate, maybe replace that al impeller with a new one and leave it alone. Good point with the sand though, try to keep that out of there or get a sand trap/sea strainer-Aluminum Squirt
So you don't think this impellor looks that bad? I know the edges had a few nicks on them but the chunk is definitly new. Also the rock in the upper corner fell through to the backside of the impellor when I was removing it. Anyone got a suggestion on how to get it out without taking the bowl apart?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/2890impellor_004.jpg

Rampager
10-19-2005, 03:18 PM
I used some steel skid strapping material and bent a hook in the end to dig around in the bowl
Make sure whatever you do you get that rock out cause anything thats caught between the bowl and imp when you start the boat does some funky damage in there. Ask me how I know!
(I would say that impeller doesn't look brutal to me no. Mine looked way worse but then again my boat with 500 Hp was also having trouble getting on plane LOL)
Cheers

Aluminum Squirt
10-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Hey max, I didn't say your imp looked good either :smile: . I'm just mentioning that more is repairable than you think and unless you have a very fast, finely tuned set up, make the minimum repairs and run it. I totally understand the drag guys or guys looking for that last 1% of performance, but for your run of the mill family orinted jet boat, some nicks and dings aren't that big a deal. SS is not the be all/end all of impellers, you still have to take care of it and keep the rocks out. SS will not get you much performance unless you are running a lot of HP and the extra money could probably go to more beneficial mods, gas, or beer. If you are running an extreme set up, then by all means go stainless and have a reputable company set the sucker up tight and get it flowed, stuffer, good shaft, all the goodies-Aluminum Squirt