PDA

View Full Version : Waste water dumped into Mead??

Not So Fast
10-18-2005, 08:19 AM
A story in Todays News Herald states a meeting is underway in Kingman,AZ today to discuss the possible dumping of effluent waste water into Lake Mead from the Las Vegas area. It will be introduced into the lake 2 miles from shore at a depth of 250 ft. and the amount was 150 million gallons or so, they did not state over how long of a period it would be though. I have worked around some of the big s--t plants in So Cal and the engineers at the plant on Terminal Island, Long Beach say the state of the art facility there produces water that is 99.99% pure :idea: It just seems that it will be a hard sell to the public to convince them its cool to drink,cook,swim, boat ect. in treated sewer water :confused: For people that are not aware, the water from Lake Mead feeds other lakes down stream such as Mohave & Havasu via the Colorado River, also the main supply of water for AZ, So Cal for everything. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THIS IDEA, pretty skeptical myself. Supe Buster Johnson wants extensive tests done before this happens, long term tests!! ME TOO!! :idea: NSF

ACCEPTENCE
10-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Hummmmm???
Not likin the idea of drinkin a glass of twice retreated sewage water.
That would be the reality of it though.

spectratoad
10-18-2005, 08:35 AM
Why don't they make some money then and sell it to Perreir or something? :eek:

Magic34
10-18-2005, 09:04 AM
That's one way to bring the lake up. :idea:

sorry dog
10-18-2005, 10:01 AM
150 MGD is a lot, but that's a big lake too.
I've seen lots of effluent that you'd never be able to tell the difference except for it being really "dead." As long as it's diluted enough and monitored a lot then I would think it's OK. There are lots of water supplies around the country that have multilple effluents dumping upstream.

dirty old man
10-18-2005, 10:10 AM
They've been dumping grey water into Mead for years. ask any ranger

Outnumbered
10-18-2005, 10:13 AM
Probably better than drinking all of that piss water flowing down from the sandbar :D

Dusty Times
10-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Vegas has always dumped treated waste water into Lake Mead via Vegas Wash. It runs like a rapid river and its only source is the sewer plant. Funny thing is that Vegas' drinking water pickups are barely downstream from where the afluent dumps into the lake.
Are they talking about dumping more or even untreated into the lake now?

Not So Fast
10-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Vegas has always dumped treated waste water into Lake Mead via Vegas Wash. It runs like a rapid river and its only source is the sewer plant. Funny thing is that Vegas' drinking water pickups are barely downstream from where the afluent dumps into the lake.
Are they talking about dumping more or even untreated into the lake now?
No, No not untreated please, that would be very gross. I've worked on sewer spills and the EPA takes this thing very serious. I assume the meeting is concerning new amounts above what ever is happening now. Also the plant I mentioned on Terminal Island had a very elaborate R.O. system to achieve the 99.9% pure rating so I dont think all treated water would qualify for that rating. :idea: NSF

Chico&Zeus
10-18-2005, 02:15 PM
I build water and waste water plants along with water reclaimation plants for a living...the water coming from a "Sewage" plant is very clean, it has been run through at least two stages of clarifiers then filtered then sometimes blasted with U.V. light and then finally chlorinated...trust me it is cleaner than any natural water existing in the south west lakes or reservoirs.

termiteguy
10-18-2005, 02:51 PM
i have heard that some of the mobile home parks along the river are on septic tank that are not that far away from the river and they leach back into the river with high levels of contaminents(sp) :hammerhea

GHT
10-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Like many said before.... They have been dumpin sh1t in Mead for years. Just now they want to put it farther and deeper because they say the sh1ts going to double in the next few years. :hammerhea :hammerhea
Good thing I don't swim 250' below the surface. :confused:

Chico&Zeus
10-18-2005, 03:18 PM
They have been talking for years about piping reclaim water lines up the mountain in Flagstaff and using that water in snow machines to make snow. The people are having a hard time accepting that, along with the tribes that say that would be polluting their sacred land. It would generate a lot of revenue for the town, and ski season would be a sure thing every year.