PDA

View Full Version : Rollover At The Sandbar

Not So Fast
10-18-2005, 08:23 AM
Any body got the lowdown on this? It was this weekend so the paper states. A 30' Daytona with three people, driver says mechanical failure was the cause. Not much else was said :( NSF

Sleek-Jet
10-18-2005, 08:45 AM
I heard it was a Cheetah.... :rolleyes:
that's sarcasm folks :D

LHC30Victory
10-18-2005, 08:56 AM
No, not a Cheeta...I heard it was an F-29. Just sponsons sticking up about a foot or so... :cry:

Redneck
10-18-2005, 09:01 AM
I heard it was a boat

slowinhavasu
10-18-2005, 09:06 AM
It was a twin engine 30 Daytona "Spun Out " is the name of the boat.....Saw pics this morning, totaly seperated the deck from the bottom, ripped it apart....both drives torn away....not clear on what happened in what order....driver walked away, other in the boat life flightd out.
Positive thoughts go out to the familys involved......

maxwedge
10-18-2005, 09:07 AM
I heard it was a Cheetah.... :rolleyes:
that's sarcasm folks :D
No, I heard It was a mountain goat...fell right off the cliff.

HocusPocus
10-18-2005, 09:09 AM
I heard it was a boat
i heard the same thing... :)
hope everyone involved is ok..

my21advantage
10-18-2005, 09:09 AM
I was at Havasu this weekend and didn't hear about this??????????
I hope everyone is ok, prayers to the family

barbigrl
10-18-2005, 09:10 AM
I was at the Sandbar in Havi this weekend.....did not see this happen. What time?

uvindex
10-18-2005, 09:22 AM
It was a twin engine 30 Daytona "Spun Out " is the name of the boat.....Saw pics this morning, totaly seperated the deck from the bottom, ripped it apart....both drives torn away....not clear on what happened in what order....driver walked away, other in the boat life flightd out.
Positive thoughts go out to the familys involved......Sorry to hear this. Hope the injured person(s) are OK.
Not the greatest time to have "Spun Out" on the transom...

Havasu_Dreamin
10-18-2005, 09:23 AM
other in the boat life flightd out.
That might explain the life flight we saw on Saturday.

OnlyMoney
10-18-2005, 09:35 AM
My guy just called asking if anyone had heard about a boating incident on Sunday since he just bot a call this a.m. about our friends' boat spinning/flipping, etc. It wasn't the first time the boat had done this. Just the first time the current owner had done this. Glad all are ok. One broken rib, one contusion on the back and everyone otherwise ok.

KACHINA KEN
10-18-2005, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=slowinhavasuPositive thoughts go out to the familys involved......[/QUOTE]
Prayers are good too. Us boaters love Jesus.

prosthogod
10-18-2005, 10:02 AM
Those Eliminators are known to do that.

hot_diggity_dog
10-18-2005, 10:06 AM
I was at the Sandbar in Havi this weekend.....did not see this happen. What time?
I only took two pictures of boats at the sandbar and this was one of them!!! :confused: :rollside:
http://www.riverratlife.com/uploads/hdd/10.15.05/DSCN6006resize.jpg
HDD :cool:

my21advantage
10-18-2005, 10:06 AM
My guy just called asking if anyone had heard about a boating incident on Sunday since he just bot a call this a.m. about our friends' boat spinning/flipping, etc. It wasn't the first time the boat had done this. Just the first time the current owner had done this. Glad all are ok. One broken rib, one contusion on the back and everyone otherwise ok.
Were you in Havi this weekend, I think I saw you down by the Springs?

slowinhavasu
10-18-2005, 10:10 AM
"this wasn't the first time" ??????????????????????????????????

BajaMike
10-18-2005, 10:13 AM
Was Honeyman involved??? :confused:
:D :D :D :D

Nord
10-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Was Honeyman involved??? :confused:
:D :D :D :D
lol

OnlyMoney
10-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Were you in Havi this weekend, I think I saw you down by the Springs?
Nope, we were in Phoenix for the Red Wings game. :D :D
But, the 3 weekends prior at the sandbar in pasties, hence the signature. :shift:

OnlyMoney
10-18-2005, 11:05 AM
They bought it after the first accident...redid it...had an accident. We also heard mechanical failure. I'm sure we'll hear more by tomorrow. It's still early for some boaters. :cool:

boater72
10-18-2005, 11:35 AM
They flew by a friend of mine just as it happened. Seems like they were comming from the sandbar going towards Hav. He's not sure how but it was choppy and said he got some air and over it went. Don't know he stuffed it mechanical failure or what. He is going to send me some pictures tonight of it in the water after crash when he gets home from work tonight and I will post them.

Liquid Courage
10-18-2005, 11:38 AM
We saw the sponsons bobbing in the water about half way betweed the sand bar and the river opening to Havasu. We stopped and checked it out for a minute. Two cop boats were there and the sea tow was coming up. The boat looked like it was stuck to the bottom of the river. This was about 4 oclock on Saturday on our way back from the sandbar.

Not So Fast
10-18-2005, 11:42 AM
Damn, some of you guys are hard core for sure, jokes about a boat being turned over and torn up, come on :confused: NSF

Havasu_Dreamin
10-18-2005, 01:12 PM
I was asked to post these by someone else since they do not know how to post pics. So don't shoot the messenger.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6143Spun_Out_1.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6143Spun_Out_2.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6143Spun_Out_3.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6143Spun_Out_4.jpg

Dusty Times
10-18-2005, 01:15 PM
That's UGLY!
Hope everyone was OK

76ANTHONY
10-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

CMATT21
10-18-2005, 01:18 PM
I spoke to the driver of the boat involved. His wife, friend and himself are doing fine, just a little banged up. They were headed down river at 75mph. when the boat lost control. The driver felt something different then lost sterring. The left sterring arm ripped off. The officer who wrote up the incident said that it was the first time he had ever written up a mechanical failure as the cause of an accident. It was very obvious where the sterring arm pulled out. The driver is a very experienced boater, he is gratefull for no serious injuries or death as a result of the failure. No one was air lifted, all were taken back to havasu by boat. The boat is a total loss. Just trying to get the true story out without the rumors and speculation.
MATTO

Havasu_Dreamin
10-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Boat can be replaced, at least no one was seriously hurt.

CMATT21
10-18-2005, 01:22 PM
Thats exactly what the owner said.

Dusty Times
10-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Glad everyone is OK
The boat is replacable. Lives are not!

pjones
10-18-2005, 01:24 PM
WOW...Very fortunate people....
Looks like it was a really nice boat....

OnlyMoney
10-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Oh good, I was hoping their daughter wasn't with them. That boat is WRECKED :eek: , glad to hear no big injuries....thank goodness.

phebus
10-18-2005, 01:25 PM
I think that is a record time for the truth to come out on this board. It must have ruined a lot of peoples day, not be able to come up with a bunch of rig-a-ma-roll stories.
Now the worthless bashing can start, but I'm just glad it wasn't worse!!

MBlaster
10-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Thank God everyone is ok.
Boats can be replaced.
No wonder cats are brutal to insure, not saying the accident was a specific type of hulls fault, but it seem's there are more accidents lately with cats.
My insurance won't even write cats.

CMATT21
10-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Yeah, daughter not with them. Thank God, the little ones never seem to fair as well.

prosthogod
10-18-2005, 01:39 PM
Double the speed and change the brand(HTM) and this thread would be 50 pages by now.

2Driver
10-18-2005, 01:42 PM
I think that is a record time for the truth to come out on this board. It must have ruined a lot of peoples day, not be able to come up with a bunch of rig-a-ma-roll stories.
No kidding huh? How's the back doing?

PlyaPlya22
10-18-2005, 01:42 PM
I saw that about 4:00 pm on Sat. Glad everyone is OK.

Cole Trickle
10-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Scary!!!
Glad to hear the driver and all the passengers came away with nothing more than minor injuries!!! :rollside:

Dave C
10-18-2005, 01:57 PM
that is some scary shiat!
I would be interested to know what specific part on the Power steering failed!

spectras only
10-18-2005, 02:23 PM
My boat took a big hit at 39 mph when an underwater log kissed my sterdrive on the nose :umm: . The bellhousing broke in two but the MM steering and trim rams kept the unit with the boat. Notice the distribution plate the steering rams are mounted through with a same size backing plate.
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/sterndrive%202
I wondered how well some of the boats have these systems mounted . All I see is a small & pretty polished s/s triangular plate on most boats .
Impact load on a hull above 60 is 5K pound/per square foot
, one can imagine the forces above that .

Dave C
10-18-2005, 02:29 PM
Are you wondering about the backing plate? I am too :squiggle:

CornWater
10-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Double the speed and change the brand(HTM) and this thread would be 50 pages by now.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_38.gif

Kilrtoy
10-18-2005, 02:48 PM
WOW those pics are pretty bad, Glad to hear everyone is ok....
So what was the cause, I read a few theories, any hard evidence.

boater72
10-18-2005, 02:59 PM
What I posted was from an eye witness as they were one if not more of the first people to call 911 when it happened beside them on there way back to Hav from the sandbar also. I am also glad everyone was okay.

riverroyal
10-18-2005, 03:57 PM
scary stuff,glad alcohol wasnt involved as usual,boats can be replaced!Maybe keep the motors and start over,,,,,,,by the way,phebus you ok after rig-a-ma-roll,thats a huge word,congrads

Kahuna
10-18-2005, 04:07 PM
My Dad's a TV repairman, he has a killer set of tools, I can fix it! :D

JB in so cal
10-18-2005, 04:18 PM
scary stuff,glad alcohol wasnt involved as usual,boats can be replaced!Maybe keep the motors and start over,,,,,,,by the way,phebus you ok after rig-a-ma-roll,thats a huge word,congrads
gddddamit. you beat me to it!!

riverroyal
10-18-2005, 04:20 PM
on meds,thats a tough word.Fricken jeanous or something

JB in so cal
10-18-2005, 04:22 PM
on meds,thats a tough word.Fricken jeanous or something
:hammerhea

FOUNTAINATLAST
10-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Man those pics look pretty bad, glad to here everyone is OK!!!!

76BARRON
10-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Glad everyone is OK !
I am curious if life jacket's were involved ? or if they were just really lucky?
Somtimes thing's like this don't have a happy ending. Thank God this time
it did.
Again ,Glad all is well!

phuggit
10-18-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm glad to hear no one was hurt too badly. Those pics are awful. I hate to see high dollar hardware all f'd up.

Riverkid
10-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Verbage deleted by request.

riverroyal
10-18-2005, 04:56 PM
that was your brother???

Riverkid
10-18-2005, 05:19 PM
No bro's just a herd of sisters. Lucky man. Hope everyone has a full % complete recovery. Boat looks REAL bad.

riverroyal
10-18-2005, 05:21 PM
lucky day for them

Riverkid
10-18-2005, 05:25 PM
You sure have that right...

Havasu Hangin'
10-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Maybe this is a dumb question...
...but with the props spinning in opposite directions, wouldn't the torque cancel each other out (if the tie bar is still attached)?

DJ Sound Technique
10-18-2005, 06:12 PM
man that is just nuts!! Glad to hear they are all okay!!!

phebus
10-18-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm fine thanks. Nothing some pain killers and beer won't take care of.
I am just an angry hater after my surgery and pain, so I feel much better now. :rollside:

Havasu Hangin'
10-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Unless he hit something that broke a gimbal...even on one ram, I would think the boat would go straight?
Somebody should probably check to see if the hydraulic lines are hooked up correctly...just to be sure.

Kilrtoy
10-18-2005, 06:39 PM
Maybe this is a dumb question...
...but with the props spinning in opposite directions, wouldn't the torque cancel each other out (if the tie bar is still attached)?
Are you sure this is the set up...
I have heard some companys still do the same rotation....
Just asking big guy.....

THOR
10-18-2005, 06:45 PM
Just asking big guy.....
Doesnt make any sense Miguel. You would either have a strong tendency to pull to the left or right depending on your rotations of the props. With one LH and one RH hand, they should cancel each other out just like HH said.

Havasu Hangin'
10-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Just asking big guy.....
No...I'm not sure. Nothing more than speculation on my part.
I was just thinking outloud that those transoms are a couple inches thick- damn near impossible to pull a ram bracket out of one (unless the transom is rotton, the boat hits something underwater, or maybe even if the rams were working against each other).
Although I have never personally seen an inboard cat with the props rotating the same way (Bravos are very easy to reverse the rotation), I'm sure it's done.
But what the hell do I know....I'm an idiot.

bigkatboat
10-18-2005, 06:51 PM
I saw the boat today. The port (left) rear cover was torn off the upper gearcase by the tie bar. The port propeller (4 blade) has one blade broken off, and both gimbals are broken off. I've done a lot of 'rebuilding' of boats, it's NOT a total. Just a broken starboard (right) side, deck broken and pulled loose along starboard (right) side, 'some drive work', and "desinking" of the motors and gauges. Hull bottom looks good. If it's a 'total', I'll give $5000.00 for the wreck, without the parts. Just glad to hear all will be OK, and hope the guy doesn't loose his a$$ with the insurance co.

Havasu Hangin'
10-18-2005, 07:03 PM
I saw the boat today. The port (left) rear cover was torn off the upper gearcase by the tie bar. The port propeller (4 blade) has one blade broken off, and both gimbals are broken off.
So it looked like he hit something with the port drive? :confused:

dregsz
10-18-2005, 09:34 PM
The boat is a total loss. MATTO
Well maybe not a total loss, I'll buy the Bolsters.
Glad everyone is OK

Kilrtoy
10-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Although I have never personally seen an inboard cat with the props rotating the same way (Bravos are very easy to reverse the rotation), I'm sure it's done.
Ok, I was thinking of outboards....... Sorry

JetBoatRich
10-19-2005, 03:48 AM
Those pictures are very ugly :mad:

MellowYelloW
10-19-2005, 07:16 AM
can anyone tell me who the owner of this boat is? I have heard several names....was wondering if anyone could confirm?
thanks
glad everyones okay...
brian

Dave C
10-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Interesting thought!
But I was wondering if you loose the attachment point of one ram, then would the other ram push it hard over???? I am not that familiar with how that works?
I agree with you that it would be difficult to pull out the mounting bracket. Maybe another part failed? who knows??
That is some scary shiat!!
Unless he hit something that broke a gimbal...even on one ram, I would think the boat would go straight?
Somebody should probably check to see if the hydraulic lines are hooked up correctly...just to be sure.

boater72
10-19-2005, 08:25 AM
Don't know what happened but my friend that saw it happen, said that it got some air and turned hard left like someone in the boat had said. Just glad everyone will be able to go boating another day.
http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/43110d51z36df0468/edf3/__sr_/3d12.jpg?phzE9VDBZIJR0Hw0

spectras only
10-19-2005, 09:15 AM
Interesting thought!
But I was wondering if you loose the attachment point of one ram, then would the other ram push it hard over????
knows??
No. The rams work in unison . The ram that breaks loose will have the rod extend without the resistance provided by the mounting .The drives should stay put with the tiebar still attached . When I broke my drive the boat kept going straight ,even with the drive just dangling. My fiasco happened at 40 , not 75 what theese peeps claim. Things et more ugly once over 60 . I'm curious how is that hull and deck joined ? Plexus only , or some through bolts as well ? In the past boats took the beating a lot better than drivers. Are the drivers tougher nowdays :D or the boats lighter , faster or weaker :idea: :hammer2: :D

sxpilot
10-19-2005, 09:19 AM
I saw the boat earlier that day, looked real nice...
Very sad to see, were just glad everyone made it out of the wreckage
It would be good if we could find out the facts on this, guessing just dont cut it for me, would like to here from the pilot

TimeToBurn
10-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Those Eliminators are known to do that. What is your expertise? What FIRST hand knowledge do you have? Please watch the accusations, unless you have first hand information based on fact.

mondorally
10-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Please watch the accusations, unless you have first hand information based on fact.
Yeah! This is the INTERNET after all. Keep it to the facts or I won't be able to believe all I read online..... Shame on prosthogod...... Gosh......
Justin

Sleek-Jet
10-19-2005, 12:58 PM
What is your expertise? What FIRST hand knowledge do you have? Please watch the accusations, unless you have first hand information based on fact.
Easy turbo.... it's called sarcasm...
Prostho has an HTM... and HTM's have taken alot of heat for doing their best imitation of "flipper"... :rollside: :D

BajaMike
10-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Just asking big guy.....
Virtually all twin engine boats have counter-rotating props.
:idea:

Dave C
10-19-2005, 01:17 PM
maybe I don't understand.
If one ram breaks loose and then extends AND if its not holding onto anything will the opposite ram extend if there is nothing pushing it the other way? (i.e. push it hard over?) or does the ram that is intact stay put (unless the wheel is turned)?
in other words, say the left rams breaks completely off, if it doesn't grab onto anything will the right ram extend all the way? (and turn both drives?)
This whole thing sucks!! :yuk: :cry:
No. The rams work in unison . The ram that breaks loose will have the rod extend without the resistance provided by the mounting .The drives should stay put with the tiebar still attached . D

welk2party
10-19-2005, 01:35 PM
maybe I don't understand.
If one ram breaks loose and then extends AND if its not holding onto anything will the opposite ram extend if there is nothing pushing it the other way? (i.e. push it hard over?) or does the ram that is intact stay put (unless the wheel is turned)?
in other words, say the left rams breaks completely off, if it doesn't grab onto anything will the right ram extend all the way? (and turn both drives?)
This whole thing sucks!! :yuk: :cry:
I would think that the wheel would have to be turned. Unless the hydraulic fluid or the system leaked causing no pressure and making everything non hydraulic. Does that make any sense?

spectras only
10-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Dave C , the ram that breaks loose extends immidiately ,leaving the good ram in its original position ,providing all the hoses are intact.
Steering is left to the good ram .

MR.Mercruiser
10-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Having some knowledge and history about the boat that rolled i wentand viewed the boat afterwards.And in my viewing I had found that the starboard drive had a stock gimbal ring on while the portside had a High performance gimbal ring, I believe that the impact of the boat hitting the water broke the starboard stock gimbal ring causing the stearing ram to break away from the port side and causing him to loose control. this is not the first incident for this boat prior to this accident the portside bolts had broken out of the drive but causing little damage and allowing the driver to maintain contorl even traveling at a higher rate of speed, reaching up to 100mph.
But the main thing is that they were all okay very lucky.

sxpilot
10-21-2005, 06:37 AM
Having some knowledge and history about the boat that rolled i wentand viewed the boat afterwards.And in my viewing I had found that the starboard drive had a stock gimbal ring on while the portside had a High performance gimbal ring, I believe that the impact of the boat hitting the water broke the starboard stock gimbal ring causing the stearing ram to break away from the port side and causing him to loose control. this is not the first incident for this boat prior to this accident the portside bolts had broken out of the drive but causing little damage and allowing the driver to maintain contorl even traveling at a higher rate of speed, reaching up to 100mph.
But the main thing is that they were all okay very lucky.
Thanks for your reply...
And yes the main thing is they are alive... :clover:

total loss
10-21-2005, 03:10 PM
does any body haveany more pics of the boat?

Bre
10-23-2005, 05:52 PM
I've heard from a reliable source that this boat has had another similar incident in the past. Is it possible that this accident is a result of the first incident not being repaired correctly?
A lil birdie told me this boat was already a salvage boat. Eliminator had already considered it totaled. Someone repaired the boat...... guess they didn't do too good of a job???

franky
10-23-2005, 09:32 PM
I've heard from a reliable source that this boat has had another similar incident in the past. Is it possible that this accident is a result of the first incident not being repaired correctly?
that's how the boat got it's name