PDA

View Full Version : Legal or not?

topless
10-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Is it legal to pass on the right when there are not two lanes? A co-worker says it is as long as they don't pass in the dirt. I was making a right turn into our parking lot and someone passed me on the right. I almost had a wreck. Who's fault would it have been?

76ANTHONY
10-18-2005, 11:48 AM
your fault, just cause

SHOCKENYALL
10-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Is it legal to pass on the right when there are not two lanes? A co-worker says it is as long as they don't pass in the dirt. I was making a right turn into our parking lot and someone passed me on the right. I almost had a wreck. Who's fault would it have been?
I am pretty sure this is ILLEGAL.... :eek: glad to hear you didn't get hurt!

topless
10-18-2005, 11:50 AM
I am pretty sure this is ILLEGAL.... :eek: glad to hear you didn't get hurt!I would have been really pissed off. I thought it was illegal too?

MsDrmr
10-18-2005, 11:51 AM
It is NOT legal, it's legal to pass on the left if it's not a double yellow, but passin on the Right,,,BIG NO NO!!!!
co-worker better read the handbook on this one.

76ANTHONY
10-18-2005, 11:52 AM
I would have been really pissed off. I thought it was illegal too?
dont they know who you are?? wtf are they crazy :D

Riverjet502
10-18-2005, 11:53 AM
Where I live it is illegal to pass on the right for the reason you decribed.

topless
10-18-2005, 12:00 PM
dont they know who you are?? wtf are they crazy :D
Maybe I should have my name painted on my car. :jawdrop:

76ANTHONY
10-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Maybe I should have my name painted on my car. :jawdrop:
i can get that done for ya if you'd like :D

carreraelite
10-18-2005, 12:04 PM
I now that here it's illegal to pass on the right if your vehicle has to leave the pavement to do so.

Creator
10-18-2005, 12:06 PM
As long as there is enough room for both vehicles, the lane doesn't have to be marked so legal it is and it would have been your fault, unless of course you had your 'blonde' wig on then it wouldn't matter if you spun figure-8's in the middle of the intersection BUT I might caution you not to do that in front of anything with 18 wheels as that might be hazardous to your pretty lil a*s.
Rio
where did you read/learn this. It is illegal to pass on the right except for the last 200 feet before an intersection, only if there is room. You can use the last 200 feet to pass ONLY if you are makeing a right turn.

Havasu47
10-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Dont they know they would end up with a horses head photo chopped on their body all over the internet?? :D

SHOCKENYALL
10-18-2005, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=Havasu47]
Good day to you!!!! :rollside:

WYRD
10-18-2005, 12:10 PM
You can only cross a SOLID LINE when entering or leaving the road way. the line in the middle is a yellow line and the line on the right is a white solid line. On older roads that don't have a line the edge of asphalt is considered an implied solid white line. So if the other driver had to cross a white solid line or drive off the asphalt in order to pass you while you were waiting to turn left then it was not legal.

Creator
10-18-2005, 12:12 PM
From the DMV website
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs22thru25.htm
PASSING LANES
Before you pass, look ahead for road conditions and traffic that may cause other vehicles to move into your lane.
Never drive off the paved or main traveled portion of the road or on the shoulder to pass. The edge of the main traveled portion of the road has a painted white line on the road’s surface. Passing other vehicles at crossroads, railroad crossings, and shopping center entrances is dangerous.
Pass traffic on the left. You may pass on the right only when:
An open highway is clearly marked for two or more lanes of travel in your direction.
The driver ahead of you is turning left and you do not drive off the roadway. Never pass on the left if the driver is signaling a left turn.
Right turns. To make a right turn, drive close to the right edge of the road. If there is a bike lane, drive into the bike lane no more than 200 feet before the turn. Watch for bicyclists or motorcyclists who may get between your vehicle and the curb. Begin signaling about 100 feet before the turn. Look over your right shoulder and reduce your speed. Stop behind the limit line. Look both ways and turn when it is safe. Do not turn wide. Complete your turn in the right
lane.

Havasu47
10-18-2005, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=Havasu47]
Good day to you!!!! :rollside:
:D :D

Huckleberry
10-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Here's what the law is straight out of the Vehicle Code:
21650. Upon all highways, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right
half of the roadway, except as follows:
(a-e)
(f) When the vehicle is necessarily traveling so slowly as to
impede the normal movement of traffic, that portion of the highway
adjacent to the right edge of the roadway may be utilized temporarily
when in a condition permitting safe operation.
21754. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the
right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left
turn.
(b) Upon a highway within a business or residence district with
unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of
moving vehicles in the direction of travel.
(c) Upon any highway outside of a business or residence district
with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and clearly marked for
two or more lines of moving traffic in the direction of travel.
(d) Upon a one-way street.
(e) Upon a highway divided into two roadways where traffic is
restricted to one direction upon each of such roadways.
The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of a
slow moving vehicle from the duty to drive as closely as practicable
to the right hand edge of the roadway.
21755. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass another
vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement
in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off
the paved or main-traveled portion of the roadway.

WYRD
10-18-2005, 12:20 PM
21755. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass another
vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement
in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off
the paved or main-traveled portion of the roadway.
same thing
You can only cross a SOLID LINE when entering or leaving the road way. the line in the middle is a yellow line and the line on the right is a white solid line. On older roads that don't have a line the edge of asphalt is considered an implied solid white line. So if the other driver had to cross a white solid line or drive off the asphalt in order to pass you while you were waiting to turn left then it was not legal.

topless
10-18-2005, 12:24 PM
Dont they know they would end up with a horses head photo chopped on their body all over the internet?? :DWhat were they thinking???????? :idea:

Havasu47
10-18-2005, 12:50 PM
What were they thinking???????? :idea:
LMAO!!

Kilrtoy
10-18-2005, 12:50 PM
Better find a motor cop and ask him..... :)

Creator
10-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Creater, go back and reread her original post and then come back and quote me all the laws you can find THAT PERTAIN TO THE ORIGINAL POST!
She did not stipulate what type of area she was in. She did not stipulate whether anyone crossed a solid line. She did not stipulate that the other driver DROVE OFF THE ROADWAY OR "IN THE DIRT". She was not in the correct position to execute her right turn if infact someone had the room to pass her on the right without crossing a line or driving in the 'dirt'.
We'll let Huckleberry make the call since he's the expert here BUT the next time I have an accident I hope it's with someone that thinks like you do!
Now you wanna discuss "right-of-way" ?
Rio
WOW, wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Calm down there chief. I asked where you read or learned it, seems like everyone is in agreemant here except you....Now take a deep breath count to 10 and Have a nice day. Try to avoid driving around me....

Dave C
10-18-2005, 12:53 PM
for you and I: NO
but for the illegals with no driver's license or insurance: YES. :notam:

ROZ
10-18-2005, 01:00 PM
It's a no and this is why I never forgot about it...... Back in highschool a buddy went to pass cars on the right and the car's drover changed his mind. The result was an accident that my buddy was written up for.

Creator
10-18-2005, 01:27 PM
I use to drive semi's and people always thought because there is room it's ok to pass....Obviously not, WIDE RIGHT TURNS, although I never wrecked anyone many truckers do and it is rarely the trucks fault. You pass anytime you want though. :cry:
BTY, Nearly everyone on here has stated they thought it was an illegal move. Your right about one thing though she didn't give all the facts. However, you’re the only one speculating about the situation as the rest of the people, including me are generalizing.
Those laws are also up for interpretation by a judge and the police given the situation. It's not just a black and white situation; rarely a ticket ever is unless it's speeding. Road conditions have a factor as well as the traffic conditions.
Now I'm done with this thread and you. I didn't comment to get into some childish pissing match...I asked you a question.
Have a nice day. :argue: :)

topless
10-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Let me explain a little more clearly riodog. BITE ME. :devil: I asked a simple question.

lucky
10-18-2005, 01:46 PM
thats it , ban her ass , such disrespect :crossx: