PDA

View Full Version : Lake James Toys For Tots 10/29/05

wideopen545
10-18-2005, 04:25 PM
This Is Our Second Event For The Kids At Lake James
So Come On Out And Bring A New Unwraped Toy Or Two Fpr The Kids
It Is On Sat 10/29/05 At Lake James In Moragton Nc And I Think I Will Be Around 12.00 At The Lynnville Boat Ramp So Come On Down And Have Some Fun
Toys for Tots run (2nd annual)
12 noon Oct 29th Linville access ramp (same as last year)
I have contacted the local national guard, they will confirm with me next week to do the pick up (Marines). Bring one or more toys for the kids, especially during these times in the south when so many have lost so much.
Local newspaper has been contacted and they have confirmed they will be there.

RaceBoat Rus
10-18-2005, 05:32 PM
The 2005 Toys For Tots Tour
It is a gain time to get out that boat to do some good things. This year the 2005 Toys for Tots tour will take place on December 3. This unique event is the worlds only boating Toys for Tots Tour. It is tremendous fun and puts some nice gifts in the hands of some deserving children. .
This event will take place on Dec 3rd at Hickory Point Park in Lake County. Hickory Point Park is on H-way 19 on the shore of lake Harris between Howey in the Hills and Tavares. There will be a pre-tour briefing at 12:00 noon. We encourage all participants to meet early in the day to enjoy lunch and a pretour gathering at the Hickory Point Pavilions. Bring a covered dish a good appetite an unwrapped toy or gift and that great attitude with a big smile.
The in water tour will start at 1:00 pm [13:00 hours]. Previous to 1:00pm we would like the participating boats to be all gathered at one side of the H-way 19 bridge and exactly 1;00 o’clock a signal will be given showing that is 1:00 o’clock and the tour is to start. Please note that this is not a race or a mad speed dash. There are no set speed limits on these lakes and all participants should use the utmost care to assure that event is safe for all concerned. The tour will proceed across lake Harris through the Dead River Canal and the across Lake Eustis to the City Dock right in Down Town Eustis. There you will be received by some sensational smiling faces that will collect your gifts and impart festive greeting to you and your crew. This event will be officiated by the U.S. Marines as this an official U.S. Marine Toys for Tots event.
We would like to extend this invitation to you and all you know to enjoy this sensational event. For more information or suggestions or ideas please contact Rus Matos 5327 Goddard Ave Orl. Fla. 32810 E-mail raceboatrus@aol.com or call 407-760 3481.

RaceBoat Rus
10-18-2005, 05:36 PM
I will try to make it up to your event but this is short notice... best of luck over there ... have you seen my tour in the other magazines

DaveA
10-18-2005, 07:28 PM
I will try to make it up to your event but this is short notice... best of luck over there ... have you seen my tour in the other magazines
Awww. It's not that short! C'mon!
I've seen coverage in past issues of Hot Boat (they've got a magazine??) and it looks like alot of fun. You and I talked a couple of years ago about it on the phone when I called you about a Raysoncraft hull you had. BTW, you still got it?
Send some of your homies up here if you can't make it!
DaveA

RaceBoat Rus
10-19-2005, 02:58 PM
yes I still have the Rayson craft Grand National .. and for the right person with the right plans ... it can be yours ... some guy in my neighbor hood want to hang a clamp on on it ... I said NO... yes I still have the bear hull ... call if interested

wideopen545
10-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Jr Jetter
Change for Toys for Tots drop point.... Canal St bridge access ramps, closest to Hot Boat Island for boaters, Army National Guard, and Newspaper crew.
Mrs Markist is working on local radio stations, as well as contacting the Charlotte media for possible live news coverage !!!!!!
Its all good....MPD/Taggart style

wideopen545
10-21-2005, 07:47 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/176updated_image_map.gif
Me & the wife drove out to Lake James this afternoon to 'scout out th' route' and look at the ramps shown on the map. As you can see, it's only 6 miles from I-40, Exit 94 to Canal Bridge ramp, and it's an easy trip- unlike going to Linville way up the North end of the lake. We went up there, and man, it was a long trip back to I-40! In either case, it's a long ride from the lake to the Hampton Inn at Exit 105, Morganton, but it's alot shorter time-wise from Canal Bridge. The trip over to the island is alot shorter, too, for those fuel-challenged boats (right, John??).
Driving in from Exit 94 is easy because Mountain Harbour Marina has alot of signs posted at every intersection where you would turn, so just watch for them and it'll get you to Canal Bridge ramp.
I stopped by Benfield's Landing and met Scott Hunt at the store. He said if you need fuel, call ahead on the cell phone and he'll come down and unlock the pumps for you. CASH ONLY. The adjacent campground is closed for the season, but you can camp at Lake James State Park if you wish. It's just down the road about 2 miles west of the Hidden Cove ramps. He said, why not just stay on the island? I know some have done it, and, unlike some of the other lakes on down the Catawba chain, they're alot more laid-back about it on Lake James. He remembers the boats from last year, and is looking forward to seeing them again.
Fuel is also available at Mountain Harbour Marina, but I didn't get to stop by there. They're right across from Canal Bridge ramp.
Of course, if you're able to fuel on the trip in & out each day, that's ALOT cheaper.
If the Hampton Inn is full, the Holiday Inn is just South of I-40 from the Hampton. There's also the Red Carpet Inn next to the Hampton, if you're into deep discount motels. My wife's not a fan of camping, and thinks roughing it means staying at Motel 6. She equates the Red Carpet with a Coleman tent....just in case you're wondering. There aren't really any other places along the Interstate further west until you get to Marion. And since it's ten miles in the other direction at Exit 85, it's no further than going to Morganton from the lake.
If anybody has any further information, post away! Print this map out for yourselves if you find it useful to bring along.
All promotional language regarding Paul Fitzgerald, the greatest Inboard Super Stock driver that ever was, and proprietor of Southern Thunder Marine (704 902 7229 Concord, NC) has been removed. But give him a call anyway!! And this link-although allowed, Goes Nowhere. This post is now in compliance with the ***boat Moderator Mandate of 08/19/2004.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by DaveA : 10-18-2005 at 12:15 AM.

MrsMarKist
10-22-2005, 03:53 PM
I contacted WBTV Channel 2 and WSOC channel 9 they were both very interested!! They are suppose to contact me by mid week to confirm. Also contacted Kiss 95.1 and The Kat 96.9. ;) We will see, we might be on TV!!! Everyone come with the BLING BLING, shine those boats boys, don't make us women look bad!!!!!!! :supp: