PDA

View Full Version : Ran outa gas and now wont start!

OliverM5
10-18-2005, 04:42 PM
My blown EFI 502 ran out of gas on the lake the other day and I filled the tank up, but it still wont crank over.....should the fuel pump pull gas through the lines again or does I need to "prime" the lines somehow? I read somewhere that electric pumps push not pull the gas......

Beer-30
10-18-2005, 04:55 PM
My blown EFI 502 ran out of gas on the lake the other day and I filled the tank up, but it still wont crank over.....should the fuel pump pull gas through the lines again or does I need to "prime" the lines somehow? I read somewhere that electric pumps push not pull the gas......
I would prime it.
Leave the fuel tank caps on. Compress air into the tank vent, however easiest. The only route for the fuel to take is into the pump. Make sure your fuel valve is on (you'd be surprised).
If it's easier, depending on your set up, you can duct-tape off the vent and then seal the air hose into the fuel fill. That should get you going.
Another thing that helps is to unscrew the fuel filter and fill it with fuel. Sometimes that is even enough. I doubt it, though.

BadKachina
10-18-2005, 04:58 PM
It should eventually prime itself but what you can do is fill your fuel filter/seperator with gas. Pull it off and see if it's empty.

BADBLOWN572
10-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Take the fuel filter off and fill it full of fuel. That is all that we ever did when we put a new engine in the boats. Just spin it off, fill it up, and put it back on. Once it gets enough fuel in the filter, it will suck enough out of the tanks to keep it running. If the filter is out of fuel, it would take forever to fill it back up.
I also know that on a lot of the older Mercury motors (350 specifically) it would take the oil pressure to come up before it would let the electric fuel pump engage. If it doesn't fire with simply filling up the fuel filter, crank it over until the oil pressure comes up and it will then kick the fuel pump. I am not sure if the 502 needs that or not.

Moneypitt
10-18-2005, 05:20 PM
When you turn the key on, the pump should run for 2 seconds, until, as stated above the oil pressure switch passes current to the fuel pump. I would jump across the oil sender, running the pump until f/ pressure comes up enough to start................at least thats the way the cars do it............MP