PDA

View Full Version : probable a REALLY stupid idea

keithmenard
10-19-2005, 04:25 PM
here is my intake: http://static.flickr.com/33/53868063_a9648de2ee.jpg
this is the intercooler I am putting on it:
http://static.flickr.com/27/52693090_5149a6192a_o.jpg
what if I plumbed water from the pick up under the boat to the outside ports of the intercooler, and then from the inside ports into the 2 ports of the intake crossover (on either side of where the thermostat would go)
T it off that center hold (currently blocked) and then out to the exhaust risers and into the exhaust pipes
would 1/2 inch just not be big enough to carry all that water? Would the water start reversing flow at a certain point? Or is this actually a good idea?

Beer-30
10-19-2005, 04:29 PM
All who try to answer will need more info.
Are you putting this in a jet? If so, water will be fed by the jet.
Outdrive? With sea pump?
V-Drive? With sea pump?
Strainer(s)?

keithmenard
10-19-2005, 04:53 PM
jet.
actually, the second pic is my boat, just not my engine.

Beer-30
10-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Ok, well, I am not a jet guy, but I know that the pump normall feeds the engine cooling water via a "bleed line".
What I don't know is if this provides enough volume for the intercoolers, turbo housings, engine and exhaust. I believe it will, but you would have to get a Jet guru to back that up.

keithmenard
10-19-2005, 05:04 PM
the pump would still feel the engine, and pick up still feeds the intercooler...its just that both exits would be from the intake.
Ok, well, I am not a jet guy, but I know that the pump normall feeds the engine cooling water via a "bleed line".
What I don't know is if this provides enough volume for the intercoolers, turbo housings, engine and exhaust. I believe it will, but you would have to get a Jet guru to back that up.

BUSBY
10-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Well ... it was about 10 years ago ... but we had a twin turbo dealio on a jet ...
As I remember, it left the pump, went to the block (water pump inlets) I beleive there was a tee in both lines that also went to the turbos ... the water through the block came back through the heads/intake ... both exited through the transom ...
But like I said ... this was 10 or so years ago ... a lot of Silver Bullets and boats have gone through my garage since then!

BUSBY
10-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Some of the marathon ski racers should have a good answer here ... or SuperDave???

Unchained
10-20-2005, 03:40 AM
Kieth,
Are you going to plumb that manifold for EFI ?
Otherwise you're going to be running you're fuel / air mixture through the intercooler which is real undesirable.
All the water that does my engine and intercooler comes off the jet pump.
I restricted the fitting down to 5/16 at the pump and it works good.
From the jet pump it goes to a 4 way / 1/2" npt fitting that then feeds the engine / intercooler / and a pressure bypass.
I dont have water cooled exhaust manifolds though.

Red Horse
10-20-2005, 05:55 AM
Also watch pump pressures. Get the pump bluprinted and you could be pushing quite a bit of PSI. SOmeone said water in the oil. Gotta make sure you are running enough pressure to supply everything and not enough to blow gaskets. If you bleed too much pressure off you will get hot spots as the water hit certain areas, like heads.

keithmenard
10-20-2005, 06:16 AM
No EFI for at least a few more years. I have to say though my uncle has been running a 580 twin turbo, running the mixture through the intercooler for going on 20 years now, and never had a problem...is it the BEST way to do it? Probably not, but it seems to work pretty well.
I have a ball valve right after the pump to regulate pressure.
What is the proper pressure for the block?
I already have the pickup under the boat, so I will be feeding the intercooler off that.
The comments about what the water will do at idle vs at speed, etc make perfect sense, and was kind of what I figured...but hey, you never know :)
Kieth,
Are you going to plumb that manifold for EFI ?
Otherwise you're going to be running you're fuel / air mixture through the intercooler which is real undesirable.
All the water that does my engine and intercooler comes off the jet pump.
I restricted the fitting down to 5/16 at the pump and it works good.
From the jet pump it goes to a 4 way / 1/2" npt fitting that then feeds the engine / intercooler / and a pressure bypass.
I dont have water cooled exhaust manifolds though.

superdave013
10-20-2005, 08:40 AM
... or SuperDave???
I'm with Rio that if he is going to force feed the cooler with a pick up then it should have it's own dump line too. I don't know what size the pick up is but I'd run a -10 at the min and would rather see a -12 or -16 pick up and branch off to each cooler from there.

keithmenard
10-20-2005, 08:48 AM
It will have its own dump.
I am going to dump the engine through hull and the intercooler into the pipes...which I still need.

superdave013
10-20-2005, 08:58 AM
It will have its own dump.
I am going to dump the engine through hull and the intercooler into the pipes...which I still need.
No No, do it just the other way. You need constant water flow in those alum logs when the engine is running. If you are force feeding your cooler it will have no flow when the boats not moving. If you are running the engine with no water flow in the logs you will melt them quick.

keithmenard
10-20-2005, 09:49 AM
right, maybe I didn't make myself clear.
the water from the block will be coming from the jet to the exhaust to the block out of the intake and out through the hull
the water from the pick up will go through the intercooler then out through the exhaust pipes (hoping to get water jacketed pipes to go from the turbo over the transom) or the old banks over transmom pipes.

MKEELINE
10-21-2005, 09:23 AM
You may want to think about plumbing the intercooler by itself. Make sure you use the same size lines going in as coming out(either -10 or -12). One problem you might have with running the water from the intercooler to the tailpipes is heat. If they're force fed you won't have any flow at idle. Also,
if you need, and I'm sure you will, hose and fitting give superdave013(Sweet Performance) a call. He'll treat ya right.
Did you get the Banks diagrams i faxed you? Some of that info may or maynot be helpful.

keithmenard
10-21-2005, 09:43 AM
I never did get that diagram :(
You may want to think about plumbing the intercooler by itself. Make sure you use the same size lines going in as coming out(either -10 or -12). One problem you might have with running the water from the intercooler to the tailpipes is heat. If they're force fed you won't have any flow at idle. Also,
if you need, and I'm sure you will, hose and fitting give superdave013(Sweet Performance) a call. He'll treat ya right.
Did you get the Banks diagrams i faxed you? Some of that info may or maynot be helpful.

Red Horse
10-21-2005, 09:50 AM
No more than 15 PSI for the block.

MKEELINE
10-21-2005, 09:51 AM
PM me a fax #, and I''l shoot them over to you.

83nordic
10-22-2005, 09:16 AM
I am setting up a twin turbo deal now with some help and it is my understanding that the intercooler should be force fed with a pickup so cooling only happens under way/load to avoid condensation. I would and am plumbing the intercooler with a seperate pickup and dump through the transom, dump your engine/manifold water through the exhaust and as mentioned before use the largest line possible and the pickup and dump should be of the same size. Mine is a #16 for the intercooler.
good luck

keithmenard
10-22-2005, 09:20 AM
as I said, I am doing something slightly different. the water from the engine will go to the risers, but then out the transom. The intercooler will dump into the pipes after the turbo.
This way when you are idling you don't get a bunch of water through the exhaust ditto with reverse.

SmokinLowriderSS
10-23-2005, 05:29 PM
If the only water you have going into the exhaust at the snails is the intercooler water, then don't sit idling very long, or you'll melt the rubber hoses connecting the snails to the outlets. Those are cooled by the used "coolant" water from the engine normally and I would keep that, just adding a seperate overboard line for the intercooler.