PDA

View Full Version : termites on my palms

KACHINA KEN
10-20-2005, 11:20 AM
I have 2 palms in the back of my property with termites, how can I get rid of them. I am going to check my home later to see if they have gotten into there as well, hopefully not.

Her454
10-20-2005, 11:32 AM
LOL I have two PALMS I want to get rid of. How deep are the roots? Anyone ever have them removed? They are the realllly tall ones that drop the deadly sharp pieces like they are shedding. I hate them and Im ready to hook a chain up to the truck and lock it in low and see what happens but Im afraid the roots are deep. :cry:

76ANTHONY
10-20-2005, 11:33 AM
I HEARD OF HAIR ON YOUR PALMS BUT NOT BUGS :D

OGShocker
10-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Termites on your palms can affect your woody! :hammerhea

riverracerx
10-20-2005, 11:39 AM
I have my palms on my woody! :D

76ANTHONY
10-20-2005, 11:40 AM
IS YOUR VISION OK STILL? :D

KACHINA KEN
10-20-2005, 11:43 AM
you yuksters arent helping

dimarcobros
10-20-2005, 11:45 AM
LOL I have two PALMS I want to get rid of. How deep are the roots? Anyone ever have them removed? They are the realllly tall ones that drop the deadly sharp pieces like they are shedding. I hate them and Im ready to hook a chain up to the truck and lock it in low and see what happens but Im afraid the roots are deep. :cry:
You should check into selling them. I know some companies pay a lot of money for Palm trees. They would come and take them out for you. Worht looking into.
DMB

prosthogod
10-20-2005, 11:45 AM
Try the "Bug and weed mart", they are knowlegable and can help.

91nordic29
10-20-2005, 11:51 AM
ken,
we have some on our palm tree also, kind of all of a sudden, those mud trail looking things appeared. i will ask randy what he sprayed them with. - cindy :squiggle:

2Driver
10-20-2005, 11:52 AM
There was a thread on this about a week or so ago. Those guys make a move after a big rain and it is nothing to worry about. Ive seen it up here if it is the same thing?. Unless you have dirt tunnels going up the tree I think you are safe, but I am no bug guy either... :D Sure they are termites?

tcook33
10-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Call Terminix (sp?).

Jordy
10-20-2005, 12:08 PM
5 gallons of gas and a match will do the trick everytime. It will even get rid of the flying rats that like to live in the palm trees, as an added bonus. :D :D :D

Jyruiz
10-20-2005, 12:14 PM
You should check into selling them. I know some companies pay a lot of money for Palm trees. They would come and take them out for you. Worht looking into.
DMB
Depends on the type of palm tree, the ones I see alot of in Havi are not worth anything. I am looking for somebody to take mine away as well, I don't even want money for them, I would be happy to give them to who ever romoves them and fills in the holes.

Her454
10-20-2005, 12:20 PM
5 gallons of gas and a match will do the trick everytime. It will even get rid of the flying rats that like to live in the palm trees, as an added bonus. :D :D :D
Rats LOVE to live in those things. :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: I used to love those trees, when I lived in Yuma and Havasu they were lined all down the street. NOW I hate them. :cry: :cry:

Jordy
10-20-2005, 12:23 PM
You should check into selling them. I know some companies pay a lot of money for Palm trees.
I think they only want the good, termite free variety though. :D :D :D
Rats LOVE to live in those things. :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:
I was actually talking about pigeons, the flying rats of the bird world. Don't know if we have rats in Phoenix. I'm sure we do, but I've never seen one. Must hang out in the wrong areas. :D :D :D

Rexone
10-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Ken I'd try some Go-Jo or Fast Orange. It cuts grease real well and I'm guessing will get rid of the termites too. Good luck.

Her454
10-20-2005, 12:25 PM
I was actually talking about pigeons, the flying rats of the bird world. Don't know if we have rats in Phoenix. I'm sure we do, but I've never seen one. Must hang out in the wrong areas. :D :D :D
I know what you were talking about, but up here in the country, Rats burrow under the branches and build nests. Its disgusting. I have this nightmare of one dropping on my head as Im going out to get into my truck in the mornings when its dark. I avoid those trees like the plague.

91nordic29
10-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Ken I'd try some Go-Jo or Fast Orange. It cuts grease real well and I'm guessing will get rid of the termites too. Good luck.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

topless
10-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Rats LOVE to live in those things. :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: I used to love those trees, when I lived in Yuma and Havasu they were lined all down the street. NOW I hate them. :cry: :cry:That reminds me of when my ex was married to his ex and they bought a house that had a huge palm on his property between his house and the neighbors. As soon as he moved in the asshole neighbor comes over and gives him a bill for rewiring the electrical in his car. He claimed that the rats that lived in the palm chewed the wires so said they were my ex's rats. He asked the guy if they had collars on and tore the bill up.

Jordy
10-20-2005, 12:29 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Think palms, as in not trees, but on your hands. Those are hand cleaners. Capiche? :D

KACHINA KEN
10-20-2005, 12:31 PM
ken,
we have some on our palm tree also, kind of all of a sudden, those mud trail looking things appeared. i will ask randy what he sprayed them with. - cindy :squiggle:
Cool Thanks!

ROZ
10-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Her454... there are not many palms that will survive transplantation after they become very mature.. also, unless it's a really rare or slow growing tree, the growers/brokers won't even bother.
The root system of a palm is pretty simple, it's a ball... Instead of cutting the tree down and then removing the trunk, you can cut it down to the 6ft mark and pay someone to carve a tiki out of it :D
Rats have been known to make home unter the petticoats(dead dried out frawns that hang down) of fan palms like the Washingtonia. If you have someone come out and remove the petticoat AND clean the trunk, the tree looks really nice.
Ken, are you sure they're termites? Palms are know to have certain fungus, mites, and other bugs that burrow eat em up...

Jordy
10-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Her454... there are not many palms that will survive transplantation after they become very mature.. also, unless it's a really rare or slow growing tree, the growers/brokers won't even bother.
I don't know there Mr. Audio Guru, but my mom had a couple of date palms in her front yard that are now up at a hotel in Vegas. Had some guys going door to door in her neighborhood asking if anyone wanted to get rid of their palms. These were date palms with the big long narrow fronds, not the regular palm trees with the round fan style fronds. They pulled the trees out, gave her a couple hundred bucks and down the road they went. ;)

91nordic29
10-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Think palms, as in not trees, but on your hands. Those are hand cleaners. Capiche? :D
i got it as soon as i submitted my reply DOH!
i think the tiki/totem pole is a good idea, or even a seat or table of some sort.

Her454
10-20-2005, 12:42 PM
The root system of a palm is pretty simple, it's a ball... Instead of cutting the tree down and then removing the trunk, you can cut it down to the 6ft mark and pay someone to carve a tiki out of it :D
Rats have been known to make home unter the petticoats(dead dried out frawns that hang down) of fan palms like the Washingtonia. If you have someone come out and remove the petticoat AND clean the trunk, the tree looks really nice.
I dont want to do anything with it except get rid of it! I considered torching it when I first moved in.........the pyro in me I guess ;). How large of a ball, the tree is about 75 to 100 feet tall? I dont want a big hole either but if they are easy to take down I'll fill the damn hole. You are exactly right, the rats hang under palms but to me its not worth cleaning up, I'd rather just stick to the pine trees. Although they all have their drawbacks LOL.

ROZ
10-20-2005, 12:47 PM
I don't know there Mr. Audio Guru, but my mom had a couple of date palms in her front yard that are now up at a hotel in Vegas. Had some guys going door to door in her neighborhood asking if anyone wanted to get rid of their palms. These were date palms with the big long narrow fronds, not the regular palm trees with the round fan style fronds. They pulled the trees out, gave her a couple hundred bucks and down the road they went. ;)
They still aren't guaranteed to survive, though. The plus is that the area they were moved to has the same soil, temperature, and weather conditions.
A hotel going door to door hoping someone is willing to part with a mature Phoenix dactylifera (hardy edible date palm from the midle east) for a couple hundred bucks is a no brainer. That tree from a grower is going to be over 2k and the good looking trees are short of supply and in hot demand... The loss of a couple hundred bucks is no big deal if it doesn't survive transplantation shock.

Jordy
10-20-2005, 12:48 PM
a mature Phoenix dactylifera (hardy edible date palm from the midle east) for a couple hundred bucks is a no brainer.
Look at the big brain on Roz. :D :D :D

Her454
10-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Think they'll grow in New York? ;) :(

Jordy
10-20-2005, 12:49 PM
Just say no. I hear they like Phoenix much better. :D :D :D

ROZ
10-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Look at the big brain on Roz. :D :D :D
lol... It just so happens that I've spent too much money on transplanting slow growing palms that have died... I'm a glutten for punishment, but I love the pinnate palms...

ROZ
10-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Not cold hardy enough to survive under 20 degrees...

Her454
10-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Not cold hardy enough to survive under 20 degrees...
IM not going to survive under 20 degrees.................... :( :D

Jordy
10-20-2005, 01:07 PM
IM not going to survive under 20 degrees.................... :( :D
2 words for you: Fee Nicks. :D

Her454
10-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Or Fo Ho Nix? That commercial cracks me up.

KACHINA KEN
10-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Ken, are you sure they're termites? Palms are know to have certain fungus, mites, and other bugs that burrow eat em up...
Yeah I saw the lil bastards, i am going to get some stuff tonight and now I am going to have to inspect the house as well, I will kill all the lil fukers.
BTW I am intalling the amp tomorrow so the other will be sent back to you this week your pimpness.

KACHINA KEN
10-20-2005, 01:58 PM
lol... It just so happens that I've spent too much money on transplanting slow growing palms that have died... I'm a glutten for punishment, but I love the pinnate palms...
I dont know much about trees but I've buried my root quite a bit in my time :D