PDA

View Full Version : NW Boaters: What Lake for NewYears day??

Tahiti350
12-31-2005, 09:55 AM
They fellow Nor'Wester's, are we going to try to get some boats together and make some noise on New Years Day?? If so what lake/river/pond, and what time?
A quick check of the weather says: 50% chance of rain and mid-high 40* .. I'm good with that, it's not snow or below freezing!!! :cool:

1978 Rogers
12-31-2005, 10:21 AM
I'm out, since its going to rain. No place to let it dry out if it does rain. We need a clear day. :mad:

malcolm
12-31-2005, 10:31 AM
Your engine doesn't hold water at the moment either does it? :p
I don't think I can do it either, probably be working. :(

1978 Rogers
12-31-2005, 11:04 AM
just have to put the plugs back in and logs on. :cry:

48OFF
12-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Wimps

malcolm
12-31-2005, 03:31 PM
Hey Eric, it's difficult to 'runner hard' with shrinkage! :D

48OFF
12-31-2005, 09:29 PM
I tell ya you need to get a junk heater

Tahiti350
01-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Well,
I didn't make it out either :rolleyes:, got busy working on my most recent project, adn then the wind kickked up. Also had no one to go out with me, and don't like going out solo. Will see what it looks like tomorrow, maybe a quick run at Spanaway, just to piss off the locals. :crossx: :220v:

jrork
01-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Too damn wet and windy for me. NWOffshore.com had their New Years day run today and I sat and watched those guys spend half of the time out of the water on the way past our place and knocked on wood that we didn't get some crazy idea like that :rolleyes:
Did look like alot of fun though.........

malcolm
01-01-2006, 09:50 PM
I woke up to that nasty wind this morning. Kinda figured it would have made for a bad day on the water. :skull:

1978 Rogers
01-02-2006, 03:48 PM
I woke up to that nasty wind this morning. :skull:
Sorry to hear something you ate last night didn't agree with you. :)
I've got a sinus cold. I wouldn't have gone out either way. I would have looked like Jim Carey from Dumb & Dumber, when he hops off the scooter. Not a pretty sight. Anyways who says we have to go out right away, maybe next weekend. :idea:

malcolm
01-02-2006, 06:21 PM
I think I'm just going to focus on my new engine for now. I got the cam and lifters, now the wife says I'm getting a timing chain for my B-day. That puts me pretty close to building this thing. :)

jrork
01-02-2006, 08:03 PM
I think I'm just going to focus on my new engine for now. I got the cam and lifters, now the wife says I'm getting a timing chain for my B-day. That puts me pretty close to building this thing. :)
That's what I like to hear :)

malcolm
01-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Yep, mee too! :rollside:

jrork
01-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Did you ever find some logs for the new motor?

malcolm
01-03-2006, 08:14 AM
I was in an eternal holding pattern for the set that n8dog guy had, but aparently he decided to keep them. Maybe I'll try to find some t/t headers.

Tahiti350
01-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Chris,
If the weather is decent this weekend I may go out on Saturday. Have to work Sunday. Maybe have dinner at Porter's Place to appease the Domestic Goddess's afterwards?? :argue: :rolleyes:
I have to get it out and get it wet asap, as there is no stabilty in my job right now. Long trip starting to pop up to often to stay home :yuk:
Malcom,
Get'r done... we have lakes to terrorize.
All,
How about Lake Chelan this summer :idea: ?? Launch from the south end and trip up to Stehekin. I heard they have a Lodge there. I can check on cost and availability if anyone is interested..

jrork
01-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Lake Chelan. One of our favorite places on earth but not a good lake for minimal freeboard boats. Seen many a boat have a scary time there.
That wind comes up every afternoon like clock work and you'd think you were on the ocean.
As much as I'd love to, our boat isn't set up for that one.
Good thinking trying to get something organized now though Gary. Summer will be here before we know it (hope, hope)

malcolm
01-03-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm kinda thinkin about staying mostly on this side of the mountains this season. There's lots of neat places to check out around here without having to go 150+ miles over a mountain pass. Having said that, we'll still need a weekend at Moses. ;)

jrork
01-03-2006, 08:44 PM
That boat would look bitchin with a little salt splash on it Malcolm....... :idea:

Tahiti350
01-04-2006, 06:13 AM
Okay then, how about the Riffe lake/Mossyrock lake area. Supposed to be really nice, not too far away, and several campgrounds... Located about 20 miles East of I-5 exit 68 on Hwy 12, or about 50 miles from Tacoma taking Hwy 7 south to Hwy 12.
John,
I'm not totally against a little salt spray, would just have to fresh water rinse the motor and drive (which I can do on a garden hose) :rolleyes:

jrork
01-04-2006, 06:39 AM
Hmmm, Riffe might be kinda nice.

1978 Rogers
01-04-2006, 08:52 AM
We'll be going to Chelan June 2 - 4, staying in my folks time share at Wapito Point.
We'll be going to Lake Roosevelt 4th of July weekend, camping at River Rue by Keller Ferry. To us its worth the drive for MILES of lake and no one around. The 4th falls on Tuesday, so this will be a long weekend.
Moses Lake is a definate. Should we let Vern pick the weekend or just tell him when we will show up. :rollside: We'll probably camp at Cascades Park.
Mayfield lake or Riffe lake would be fun. Nice campgrounds and their both close drives from Puyallup.
And of course the River. I have to make it up this year to Malcolm Country. :cool:

malcolm
01-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Never heard of it, but that may be it's charm. :D
I think Alder is worth a second look also. Seems there was a campground over by the dam. :idea:
And yes! The river! The water highway is waiting for us!!! :p

1978 Rogers
01-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Alder has a nice campground and they have docks that the boats could be tied up to. Riffe & Mayfield are a little further south past Elbe & Morton. This is the ways we'd go, not down I-5.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latlongtype=&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&cat=&address=&city=Morton&state=Wa&zipcode=

malcolm
01-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Looks like we'd have a good seat to watch the mountain rumble. :crossx:

1978 Rogers
01-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Looks like we'd have a good seat to watch the mountain rumble. :crossx:
Yes, and no place to go. What to do with 5 min left on the clock? If that. hmmmm.

Konabud
01-04-2006, 10:39 AM
I was talking with a new jetboat friend about a Riffe / Mayfield trip. He says that there is a river between the two and you can run from Mayfield clear up to the Riffe dam. Sounds pretty cool. :idea:

1978 Rogers
01-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Hard at work again? Me too. Yeah, you drive across a bridge over part of the canyon. Nice emarld green water. Riffe is huge. I bet it can get choppy when the wind picks up.

Konabud
01-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Somebody's got to do it! :D :D (work hard or hardly work? I can never get that straight) :confused: Last time I was on Riffe there were whitecaps in the middle so we just stayed on the outsides!

jrork
01-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Priority #1 for us this year is the famous Malcolm River Run. I hear that boats from all over come but you do have to watch out for the drunks. :cool:
Any of the other runs will be just icing on the cake......

malcolm
01-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Now yer talkin'! :D

jrork
01-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Now yer talkin'! :D
:D :D :D

malcolm
01-04-2006, 08:36 PM
:D :D :D
Are your guys a different color? :D

malcolm
01-04-2006, 08:39 PM
And have more teeth? :D
WHOOHOO, post 1500!!!

jrork
01-04-2006, 08:50 PM
[QUOTE=malcolm]And have more teeth? :D
WHOOHOO, post 1500!!![/QUOTE
and better looking.........

Tahiti350
01-04-2006, 10:04 PM
So what weekend for the Riffe/Mayfeild trip? This would be a good one to bring my other 2 kids (16 girl & 13 boy) on if we can do it in June or July. I may have to make a weekend trip up there and check out the campgrounds, ramp, and boat facilities (yes I know, pictures!!)

Tahiti350
01-06-2006, 04:50 PM
WOOHOO, I got the Tahiti out for a quick run today, finally!!! :rollside:
54*, no wind, glass water, NO RAIN, and only one other boat out (fishing). I stirred up the water a little for them, and made a couple of WOT passes, but could only get 4400rpm. Only had about 3 gallons of fuel on, and may have had a little water (condensation) in the tank. Had a little bit if the pop and spit problem when the secondaries tipped in again.
Tried to get a picture at speed, but April snapped the pic just as I was rolling off the throttle and starting to turn, so can't use it to see how wet I'm running. Need someone on the water so I can make a fairly close pass and see where it's riding. I'm thinking trim plates/ride plates may help considerably.
I'm also going to swap the cam (280 Comp grind) and valve springs later this month, along with installing the Bassett's (before they go to be refinished), and will take it out again in that configuration. I want 65+MPH this year (really want 70+, but have to be realistic :rolleyes: ). I'll have to figure out my water lines also. Can't dump everything thru the headers, so will have to have an overboard dump line.
Ya'all better watch out for the Half-Whacker this year, I may have something for you.... :crossx: :220v:

malcolm
01-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Don't worry about any heat from me. I'll be lucky to hit 60 this year. :)

Tahiti350
01-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Yeah right Malcom, who's building the 455? not me , I'm sticking with the SBC 1/2 whacker :) Here are a couple of the pic's April took.
Warming it up .. Just started and waiting for the water to pump thru (notice the water in the background!!)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266warming_up.JPG
Glass water, until I got on plane... :crossx:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266glass_water.JPG
A little too late on the button, already off throttle and starting to turn:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/22666_jan_05.JPG
All in all a good day, hell any day on the water is a good day, right??

El Prosecutor
01-06-2006, 11:39 PM
any day on the water is a good day, right??
Well said, and what a beautiful day by the pics! Really makes me want to hurry up and get finished with my rebuild and get out on the water, even in January.

malcolm
01-07-2006, 10:41 AM
I'm not jerking your chain Gary. I really don't expect to pass 60, even with the 455. It would be nice if I was wrong though. :D Most 455 powered Spectras topped out around 55-58 if I remember correctly.
Looks chilly! Were was that? I started videoing you at Blue last year, but it was after your run around the lake. I just got you idling in. :(
How heavy is your hull? The Spectra 18s were published to be around 2050 lbs with the engine. Add to that a bunch of waterlogged plywood (seats) and you have a recipe for low numbers. :boxed:

Tahiti350
01-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Malcom,
Those were taken at Spanaway, long enough for about a 45 second run, just enough time to get on plane and play with the trim a little, then back out and turn left. It was nice out, 55* +, and no wind. Today looks even better, but I'm the designated kid watcher :cry: . Would really like to go out again today adn play with timing and trim adn see if I could pick it up a little more.
Not sure what the Tahiti weights, I suppose I need to run it over the scales and see. I can have it off the trailer (carport hanger) in about 15 minutes, now that I know how to support it.
I could probably pick up a fair amount of speed by working the bottom, it's got several bubblegum type patches on it that could/should be reworked. I just don't feel like pulling th emotor and drive right now, too much else going on. I do need to rework my stringer mounts though, so who knows?

Captain Assin' Off
01-07-2006, 07:02 PM
What is it, 6;00 ish on Sat Eve? I just got the engine pulled on the Hondo. I'll get into the jet tomorrow. I'll be blown this year, and I can't wait! Malcolm is O.K. with selling me the spare intake for his boat, so with a bearing kit, and a bronze or S.S. impeller I'll be good to go. Man we're busy! There isn't a moment to spare, it's W.O.T. all day long. I'm just driving that "96 Trans Am to work, the Corvette swap won't happen 'till next year at this pace. Is anyone looking to hit Potholes this year? We got our confirmations for Memorial/Labor and we're not sure how to answer. I'm with you guys on staying around this side of the mountains, as time off this summer will be limited for me this summer. Chris, how's your new addition? And to the other Chris, how's things going? Wow I've got to go have Kim massage the wrinkles out of my....er, uhh forehead for a while! See you guys!..Be Safe! Thanks Malcolm!... :skull:

jrork
01-07-2006, 07:23 PM
I'll be blown this year,
Uh Oh!
Matt is raising the bar way up there for the rest of us. Damn, I'm jealous. :cry:
I got the pump back together and buttoned up today. Also pulled the carb off today to clean and freshen it up a bit and we should be good to go. I may pull the motor and drop the pan just for giggles but other than that it's ready
I don't think a Pothole run is in the cards for us this year but you can count us in on some weekend shots at the river or lakes.
Good luck with the projects Matt.

Tahiti350
01-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Not sure about Potholes either, would like to get to Moses at least once, but not sure when. Will probably just stay at the hotel just up from Vern's if we do go over, proably about the same cost as dragging the portable house and having to run 2 rigs to get there. :yuk:
When is the majority headed over to Moses??

malcolm
01-07-2006, 09:59 PM
I usually let Vern help decide when the best dates are. Some weekends can be pretty busy over there. I know I have to stay clear of June 24th this year. My buddy was really disappointed that I chose my boat over his birthday last year. :)

Captain Assin' Off
01-08-2006, 03:46 PM
No doubt about it, Vern's place rocks. Not to mention Vern and Kim Rock as hosts, as well as their neighbors. The only drawback to Moses is the drinking on the beach rules, but we can drink @ Verns' I guess, and stay at one of the motels. The water quality of Moses last time was algeaed up, and the water @ Potholes was great. Plus no cops. I'll not bitch, if Vern will have me back after last years' performance... :220v:

Tahiti350
01-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Oh Vern...
Are you listening?? :crossx: :rolleyes:

malcolm
01-08-2006, 11:01 PM
He's out there somewhere..... :)

Captain Assin' Off
01-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Transfering the image was cake, now I just have to come up with a program to edit sizes, we probably already have it but I just haven't found it. Onward, I'll pull the jet as soon as I have a day off again. I gotta get that motor 'dynoed too! :skull:

jrork
01-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Looks good Matt.
As far as Moses, "if" we can make it we'll probably do the motel routine also. Jan swore off tenting forever after Blue Lake which would mean us bringing two rigs so I could drag the trailer.

malcolm
01-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Alright! I made one where the boat was level, but then I couldn't re-crop it to make the outside square again. Oh well, it looks good. We had fun last night. The Kitchen is coming along nicely and that blower should really add to the cool factor as well as a few MPH. ;)

1978 Rogers
01-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Looks good Matt.
As far as Moses, "if" we can make it we'll probably do the motel routine also. Jan swore off tenting forever after Blue Lake which would mean us bringing two rigs so I could drag the trailer.
You can cut the camping that quick and anyways i doesn't get windy in Moses Lake. :crossx:

jrork
01-09-2006, 07:21 PM
I mentioned the tent thing to Jan and she swore to shove those tent poles somewhere up my....... Even worse, she threatened to unfold them first. I'm thinking our camping days are gonna be limited to the travel trailer.
Besides, Malcolm snores too much.......

1978 Rogers
01-09-2006, 07:40 PM
We should plan some time in June for Moses Lake. Hopefully it will be nicer than last June. Rain every day. Emily wants to be a stay at home mom now with Claire instead of both of them going to daycare. :argue: This is going to be interesting. :argue: So we could pretty much go any time or not afford to leave the driveway at all. :cry: :cry: :cry:

malcolm
01-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Oh man! I knew that would come back to haunt me. :220v:

1978 Rogers
01-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Blower, I keep thinking of Mad Max in his black car with the blower as he'd flip the switch to engage it. Then take off after the bad guy. that was a pretty cool scoop he had too.