PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean-ride plate, shoe, drop snoot?

caribbean20
10-21-2005, 12:25 PM
So . . . it is that annual re-evaluation, "Do I bother to drop any more cash into this 17 year old boat?" My project is a 1988 Caribbean 20.5' Sport semi-vee hull. Top end is 64 on GPS and I am looking for another 4 or 5 MPH, just enough to stay ahead of those pesky PWCs. The motor is a crate 502 (50 hours, 3 years old) with the aluminum heads, EMI Thunder exhaust, MSD ignition spinning a Berk JGA (aluminum impellor cut to an AB or B, not sure) at 5,200 + RPMs with hydraulic Place Divertor.
I am looking for any advice from someone who may have this, or a similar hull, as to any benefit to top end that I may get from all, or some combination of, a ride plate, drop snoot and/or a shoe (I have none of these). I have a stuffer grate on the intake.
GS Marine did the pump rebuild about 5 years ago and did all of the rigging on the re-power (nice job, by the way). The boat airs out and takes a nice set with the Divertor at 7/8ths up, very stable. Unfortunately, I can only use the boat about 4 times a year (live in LA, keep the boat in Boulder City, NV and use it on the river) so it is so tough to justify doing it right and just buying a new boat. The gel still looks great and has a new interior.
So, any words of wisdom, freshen up the pump with all of the goodies, NOS, new cam? I would hope to get some more MPH out of hull/jet work because this motor has been 100% reliable. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Doug

Squirtin Thunder
10-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Doug maybe I can help clarifie some things for you. Give me a call and we can go over your list of goodies.
Jim