PDA

View Full Version : fuel leaks

iceman
06-13-2002, 07:59 PM
what is a good way to check for fuel leaks? I have the motor out of the boat right now to fix a water leak near my exhaust plate and I figured it would be a good time to find it and fix it.I have been looking every where on moter and hoses for some time now and can't locate a leak. I 've ruined two bilge pumps now,plastic warping
help always apreciated !!!

Craig
06-14-2002, 05:04 AM
I've had some recent experience with fuel leaks. First what kind of boat and where are the tank(s) located, in the sides, floor etc?
Craig

mister460
06-14-2002, 08:06 AM
Look for CLEAN spots. Oil will be dirty and fuel will be clean.

gnarley
06-14-2002, 09:01 AM
If you need to you can clamp off the ends of ALL your lines & hoses & put a small amount of pressure into you tank,'s full of fuel with about 3-4 PSI and do it for about a minute. Have someone watching if possible if not you will either smell it or when you go look you will see it, if any of it is leaking at all. Be careful to not over pressurize your system!

iceman
06-14-2002, 06:32 PM
boat is a 86 chap. vilian 2 , tank is in the floor and I just replaced the floor about two years ago.I sure would hate to cut in the floor again.I thought about plugging the vent hose and putting my air line in the fuel hose that go's to the engine,but I was a little nervous and didn't know what psi. thanks for the info gnarley, I'll try what you said.