PDA

View Full Version : Tankless Water Heaters - Again

LHC30Victory
10-21-2005, 01:58 PM
I have read the old posts on the tankless water heaters because our conventional heater is leaking and will be replaced. I have wanted to use the tankless for awhile, and now is the time. I am ready to change gas lines and run a new circuit as well as soldering the pipes around to make a clean install.
BUT which is the best for home use (1600sq ft w/4 people) and who has the killer deal????
AND who can get it to me on the 29th because we are leaving for Hawaii tomorrow morn and I need to replace it when we return. >>>>>

redi4fun
10-21-2005, 02:13 PM
When MrsFlyingVee was around I remember her saying that these were the best in her opinion and experience. http://www.takagi.com/index.asp
I have also found these, http://www.tanklessforless.com/index.html.
I do not know how good they are, but they come with a lifetime warrenty.
Let us know how the system work for you.

al cole'holic
10-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Takagi TK2 is the one!

Jetdriver
10-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Just installed a Takagi on my new place! :D

LHC30Victory
10-21-2005, 02:47 PM
OK, Takagi it is, but WHO HAS THE DEAL!!!

Sportin' Wood
10-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Been through this before.... Noritz. 6.9.

ChumpChange
10-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Call my buddy Matt, he owns DrainMaster Plumbing(626.201.6427) in our area. Just drop my name and see what he can do for you. Sometimes he is on the expensive side but that's because he's good. He also lives in Glendora so he might give you a deal if you write of some tickets(although he doesn't have any) for him.

ChumpChange
10-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Been through this before.... Noritz. 6.9.
That's what Bill Handel is paid to recommend.

Sportin' Wood
10-21-2005, 04:33 PM
That's what Bill Handel is paid to recommend.
Me too..... :wink:
Honestly I have had bad luck with the bosch and Takagi, but I have been slinging Noritz for about 5 years. They all have there down side including Noritz. Ranii is Good if you are going for an outside install. My first choice in that application.

ChumpChange
10-21-2005, 04:40 PM
From what I've heard about tankless, drop the coin and get a good one. The cheap ones give out either really hot or really cold water, never the warm stuff.

LHC30Victory
10-21-2005, 05:14 PM
OK, OK, Ok, Noritz or Takagi it is. I found a Takagi Tk1s at about 850$ dont know what the noritz are going for. Any help out there?
I will install it myself, or with help if they want a good BBQ baby back and steak dinner :idea:
I need to decide quickly, cause this isn't going to bother me in Hawaii....

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Heres another wrench in your choice.
www.rinnaina.com
Thats the Rinnai unit, real nice unit for the outside application. You have to use there vent which is expensive, unless you mount outside.
Keep in mind you will need to upsize the gas and supply a new vent for both the rinnai and Noritz units. I am not sure about the Takagi but you should check it out before you buy.
You might consider mounting the unit near the gas meter out side and piping the water lines to it. This is sometimes easier then piping a larger gas line to the exsiting location and replacing the vent pipe.
Sorry I don't do retrofits.
SW on the wifes computer.

Man-de-lone
10-21-2005, 05:40 PM
I put a Rinnai in my house a few months ago. It has been awesome. I did the install myself, and thus I get no warranty....something to think about. We used to run out of hot water at 2.5 showers, now all four us can go and we have plenty of hot water to go around. With the price of natural gas going up, and my growing need for more hot water as the kids get older it made sense to pay the extra $$$.
So far so good. They recommend a vinegar flush once a year.
http://www.foreverhotwater.com/

NorCal Gameshow
10-21-2005, 05:51 PM
anyone have the formula for gas supply lines?
those tankless heaters burn a lot of btu's when they're on. throw in a gas dryer and a 80,000 btu furnace .... that's alot of gas
found one on www.tanklesswaterheaters.com.
i'd be pushing it...
http://www.tanklesswaterheaters.com/lib/lowenergysystems/sizing1.gif

al cole'holic
10-21-2005, 06:02 PM
I got a line on TK2's for around 800 bucks... :D
They only require a 3/4" gas supply btw...and yes they can push up to 185,000 btu

BADAXE
10-21-2005, 07:11 PM
I got a line on TK2's for around 800 bucks... :D
They only require a 3/4" gas supply btw...and yes they can push up to 185,000 btu
The TK2 is the one you need. The TK1 does not make enough hot water to run two things at a time. i.e. washer and shower or two showers at the same time. I have the TK2 and it makes enough to run two at a time. $800 is a good price, I'd jump on it.

Shi-ada Be Running By Now
10-21-2005, 07:47 PM
I run the Noritz and it works great....

Cas
10-21-2005, 09:52 PM
I just installed a Takagi TKS1 for a customer a couple of weeks ago....they love it and the install was pretty easy. We're definitely going to do the switch real soon ourselves.

novaguy
03-09-2006, 09:51 PM
OK,
I know this thread is a few months old now, and was wondering what LHC30Victory had decided on. I am sure one has already been installed. I too live in Upland and in need of a new water heater. I have two heaters (one for each side of the house) and one is going out. Those hot showers are getting shorter and shorter :cry: . I want to replace both heaters with one tankless heater. I plan on having the water heater on the outside of my house and have read on threads that Noritz, Takagi and Rinnai are the ones to chose. I already have 3/4" lines and a new gas meter installed. Anyone have any hook-ups on the system and who to use for install? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Rob

Flying Tiger
03-09-2006, 10:50 PM
Heres another wrench in your choice.
www.rinnaina.com
Thats the Rinnai unit, real nice unit for the outside application. You have to use there vent which is expensive, unless you mount outside.
Keep in mind you will need to upsize the gas and supply a new vent for both the rinnai and Noritz units. I am not sure about the Takagi but you should check it out before you buy.
You might consider mounting the unit near the gas meter out side and piping the water lines to it. This is sometimes easier then piping a larger gas line to the exsiting location and replacing the vent pipe.
Sorry I don't do retrofits.
SW on the wifes computer.
There it is,, Ya usually need to upsize the vent pipe.
If it's in the garage usually thats a simple change out,, but If ya need to go through walls,, that's a big drink of water.
Home Depot sells them.
The Bosch has some goofy problems with install

lewiville
03-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Call my client Advanced Water Heaters. Ask for Jason. They do the best job and have the best price bar none. Look them up on the web at www.advancedwaterheaters.com Tell him Dan Lewis sent you. He's a really good guy and will take care of you.

LHC30Victory
03-09-2006, 10:58 PM
I decided to go back to a tank - I had to replace it quickly and didn't have the full day to re-route the water pipes and upsize the gas line. Otherwise I would have gone Tankless.....

INSman
03-10-2006, 03:23 AM
After all that, you are too funny Ted. Have a great vacation in Hawaii !! :)

novaguy
03-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Call my client Advanced Water Heaters. Ask for Jason. They do the best job and have the best price bar none. Look them up on the web at www.advancedwaterheaters.com Tell him Dan Lewis sent you. He's a really good guy and will take care of you.
I called yesterday and was not not allowed to speak to Jason. The salesman said he is the owner and does not take "these" types of calls anymore. I mentioned your name, however, it did not help. They quoted me a price of $2198.00 + $149.00 for electrical:jawdrop:. I think that is a little too much....

YeLLowBoaT
03-11-2006, 03:11 PM
I called yesterday and was not not allowed to speak to Jason. The salesman said he is the owner and does not take "these" types of calls anymore. I mentioned your name, however, it did not help. They quoted me a price of $2198.00 + $149.00 for electrical:jawdrop:. I think that is a little too much....
for a good tankless water heater thats cheap. just wait til you get the bids for installs......