PDA

View Full Version : FOMOCO alternator hell

AZKC
09-18-2003, 02:25 PM
1990 F350 460 4x4
Alternator had no output and was hotter than hell. Charged battery and slapped on a reman, no output :o swapped it for a new, still no output and it started getting pretty hot also and under high RPM a few sparks come flying out of the alternator area. burningm WTF
Anyone??
KC

HP350SC
09-18-2003, 05:14 PM
AZKC- First off, did you get a decent reman. alt.(you get what you pay for). Assuming the battery and alt. are good, are you sure the sparks came from inside the alt? Basically,the two heavy gauge black/orange wires should have battery power at all times. The small yellow/white wire is also hot at all times. If you disconnect the voltage regulator plug and turn the key to run you should light a test light dimly on the light green/red wire.The small white/black wire should have 1/2 battery voltage with everthing connected and engine running. Now some other questions: did you have to re-index(rotate) the back of the new alt. so the connectors would line up? If so did you get the brushes back together properly? One other thing, it was fairly common for the connector with the black/red wires to get hot and melt with age. There are replacement plugs available if so. Let me know what you find...HP out.

AZKC
09-19-2003, 06:35 AM
Alot of things are pointing at the belt, it is extremely dry and hard I'll bet its slipping on the new pulley. Because the voltage creeps up the hotter the belt gets. I'll slap one on and see what that does.
KC

HP350SC
09-19-2003, 08:24 AM
All that explaining for nothing??!!haha

AZKC
09-19-2003, 09:45 AM
burningm Belt fixed it, over the years I have been burned by the alt belt slipping on quite a few cars, you would think I could remember smile_sp
Thanks for your reply HP350SC
pig_flyi
K"back to basics"C