PDA

View Full Version : SB Chevy Rebuild

Ned
10-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Way to many many choices!
Crate Motors, Short blocks, cams etc. I have been dealing with Mazda rotary and Honda 125cc for the last 15 yrs. Shifter Kart Racing is starting to hurt me so I purchaced a boat for fun. It is hell to get old. Building my own motor is not a problem.
I have a 21ft. Scarab. 5.7 Chevy. On my last outing I blew a head gasket or worse. Welcome back to the water!!!
All I want out of it would be 60mph. but something I can rely on at extened full throttle operation.
Any suggestions?

Moneypitt
10-21-2005, 04:59 PM
If I were you, I would refresh exactly what you had, Period!! Fix the cooling problem, and go right back to what your boat was intended for......Less headaches, less "bad" days on the water, and more fun days boating..........MP

GofastRacer
10-21-2005, 06:27 PM
I'll second that!..

SmokinLowriderSS
10-23-2005, 05:01 PM
I'll third it.
Must have been some issue to blow the head gasket, overpressure or such. Cure that, rebuild it, maybe up the compression just a bit, work a few minor mods to improve things (but don't loose the low to mid torque or you'll blow your acceleration in search of speed), stay fairly mild for the sake of reliability, and enjoy the next decade of boating, turn-key style.
Minor mods I consider to be the compression bump to mid-9 range, aftermarket dual-plane manifold like an Edelbrock Performer, possible improved exhaust system, MODEST cam increase, especially concentrated toward whatever torque you can get a 350 to produce.

ECeptor
10-24-2005, 12:49 PM
If your shortblock is trashed, I'd do a 383 stroker. If you have the engine out, put on Vortec heads or something that flows better than stock. That should give you plenty of reliable power to push your 21'er into the 60's.
Go to the book store and find a book called "Horsepower Handbook." It is a compilation of articles from HotRod magazines. There is tons of info on SBC build ups and crate engine hop ups.

obnoxious001
10-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Way to many many choices!
Crate Motors, Short blocks, cams etc. I have been dealing with Mazda rotary and Honda 125cc for the last 15 yrs. Shifter Kart Racing is starting to hurt me so I purchaced a boat for fun. It is hell to get old. Building my own motor is not a problem.
I have a 21ft. Scarab. 5.7 Chevy. On my last outing I blew a head gasket or worse. Welcome back to the water!!!
All I want out of it would be 60mph. but something I can rely on at extened full throttle operation.
Any suggestions?
First determine your goals and budget. I tell guys who are doing street rebuilds to consider the stroker crank to make a 383, so I would be even quicker to recomend for a boat where you need torque. The cranks are so inexpensive now, it makes sense to buy one rather than just grind the stocker, particularly if you are going to buy new pistons and rebalance the engine anyway. You can still build a mild 9 to 1 pump gas engine with a torque and horsepower increase to boot. What kind of speed were you running before?

SmokinLowriderSS
10-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Yes, the 383 is always a solid move, especially if the parts situation dictates it's "convenience".
A friend of mine owns 2 Taylor SJ's, a 455 and a 383, They BOTH not only run side-by-side but run arround 60+ with the stock 454 Chevys in the same boats. Quite a testament to BOTH the 455 and the 383 mouse motor. :cool:

ECeptor
10-25-2005, 05:36 PM
From my limited research, a 383 SBC is the cheapest route to 400hp....