PDA

View Full Version : Online scam

1Shockwaveguy
10-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Does anyone have a link to that site that explains the online scam about people from other countries buying cars/boats in other countries that offer to wire the money and/or send the bogus cashiers check? A friend of the family is about to get scammed by a guy in South Africa and I wanted to send the info to him so he has all the knowledge reguarding this scam. I tried to search for it here because I know it has been discussed but wasn't able to find it.
Thanks in advance.
1SWG

1Shockwaveguy
10-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Does your friend not believe you?
He's not my friend. Barely knows me but is friends with one of my family members. In his case they are offering the wire transfer. I found the one about the cashiers check but nothing about how they pull the wire transfer

uvindex
10-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Yes, what ShockwaveBob said.
Also...
This is from the US State Department. It has lots of details about the advance fee fraud that you're describing.
http://www.state.gov/www/regions/africa/naffpub.pdf :)
This is from eBay's Security Center:
"Some sellers of high priced goods receive requests from bidders in foreign countries (often in Africa) to accept foreign cashier's checks as payment for their items. Some of the requests offer to "overpay" for an item, and ask the seller to wire the overpayment back to the buyer through services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. We urge all sellers to use extreme caution when accepting foreign cashier's checks for high priced items, as such foreign checks may take weeks or months to clear and may be counterfeit.
Note: Some checks may appear to be from a US bank but, upon closer inspection, include foreign country or city names.
Furthermore, sellers should never accept overpayments from buyers for items where the buyer is asking to be reimbursed for overpayment. "

1Shockwaveguy
10-21-2005, 06:54 PM
He's probably gotten the details of the scam confused. They usually offer to send a MO or Cashier's Check and then you wire them the difference.
Also, when somebody wants to wire you money, you're giving them your bank account and routing info. Not something you want to do with somebody you don't know.
Here is where it is at so far. He is selling an airplane. He was contacted by someone in outh Africa saying they want to buy the plane. Worked out a price and the guy requests his account info so he can wire the money. That is where it is now.
I found something on the website for the CIA that this is usually requested only to make sure the seller is "hooked" then they ask if a cashiers check is ok. Like I said before, it hasn't gone this far yet.

DJ Sound Technique
10-21-2005, 07:28 PM
I had the same thing happen to me from my Expedition listed in the Autotrader:
here is one of the many emails as I played along with this dumb ass:
justice smith wrote:
>
> DEAR,
> I have forwarded your vehicle information to my client and after evaluation and due to time constraint on the fact that we are runningshort of time. He has left for his trip to Brussels.
> I'm delighted to tell you that my client has recommended your vehicle, with full interest and he has instructed me to carry on with his transaction, Hope the eugine and body is in perfect condition?
> He also instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $20000, which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client. Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you, Because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier cheque.
> So you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle ( car) $12000payment gets to you and refund balance $8000the Agent ( our shipper ) for him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs.
> After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up (of vehicle & signing of title papers), make some cosmetic touches and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer.
> Please confirm this and forward the following informations;
> Names:
> Address:
> Phone number:
> For payment to be made and send to you as soon as possible.
> Your honesty, understanding and co-operation will be highly appreciated.
> Regards,

Wmc
10-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Does anyone have a link to that site that explains the online scam about people from other countries buying cars/boats in other countries that offer to wire the money and/or send the bogus cashiers check? A friend of the family is about to get scammed by a guy in South Africa and I wanted to send the info to him so he has all the knowledge reguarding this scam. I tried to search for it here because I know it has been discussed but wasn't able to find it.
Thanks in advance.
1SWG
It happened to me (3) times. Here is the most recent email. Show your friends. It is a huge scam. He wants my mobilehome & HTM isn't that amusing... It happend yesterday. Oh and 2 weeks ago I received a $57,000 Cashier's check that was counterfeit.... It sucks, but happens. Good Luck!
David Michael is inquireing about a listing you placed in the ***boat.com classifieds title 1997 HTM SR 24.
Comments:
Hello, I am DAVID MICHAEL from panama city in florida and using this medium to contact you on behalf of girlfriend to purchase this item and it will be send to UK as a gift.Would you please email me with the final asking price of the item for immediate purchase? 1. Do you accept a ( Cashier Check / Money Order ) as a mode of payment? 2. What is the final asking prize you can go at last? 3 Will you let our shipping company to come to you house for the pick up of the item cos we don't want you to worry yourself about the shipping of the item. 4 You are to send your NAME,ADDRESS,TEL # to mail out the payment today. 5. Will you be able to send the excess fund back to the shipping company via western union money transfer same day you recieve and cash the check for the arrangement of the home pick up from your house down to my client .shippment. i'll like this transaction to be kept in utmost trust Thanks
Phone:() -
E-mail:deemikki_inc02@keromail.com
David Michael is inquireing about a listing you placed in the ***boat.com classifieds title 2003 Fleetwood Mobile Home 4 Sale.
Comments:
Hello, I am DAVID MICHAEL from panama city in florida and using this medium to contact you on behalf of girlfriend to purchase this item and it will be send to UK as a gift.Would you please email me with the final asking price of the item for immediate purchase? 1. Do you accept a ( Cashier Check / Money Order ) as a mode of payment? 2. What is the final asking prize you can go at last? 3 Will you let our shipping company to come to you house for the pick up of the item cos we don't want you to worry yourself about the shipping of the item. 4 You are to send your NAME,ADDRESS,TEL # to mail out the payment today. 5. Will you be able to send the excess fund back to the shipping company via western union money transfer same day you recieve and cash the check for the arrangement of the home pick up from your house down to my client .shippment. i'll like this transaction to be kept in utmost trust Thanks
Phone:() -
E-mail:deemikki_inc02@keromail.com

1Shockwaveguy
10-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Well, I sent him all the info from here and a few things I found. Hopefully he is careful and doesn't get the shaft

H2OT TIMES
10-21-2005, 10:25 PM
It was posted by Wmc on 10-12-05 in the Sand Bar

obnoxious001
10-21-2005, 10:47 PM
It does not take very careful inspection to see that most of the current inquiries seem to be based on a "form" letter, if not typed by same people. I have had literally dozens of inquiries about a few different items I have advertised at recycler.com, many of them wanting to buy my "item" without even bothering to list it by name in the email. Note that the grammar is not very good for someone who is supposed to have quite a bit of money, and they don't bother asking any intelligent questions about what you are selling, but more importantly want personal information immediately, address, phone, full name, etc. Whenever I reply to one of these now, I don't put even my first name in my email, or I use a fake name,, like "Zeke".
On a separate note, earlier this year I sold a pair of aluminum heads to a serious enthusiast in Canada, who wanted to wire me money. I talked to my bank and they set up a free, temporary account so that I would not compromise my regular account information. That transaction went fine, but I had spoken to him on the phone, supplied numerous photos, etc, etc. Once the deal was completed, I transferred the money to my other account, and closed the temporary one. In that respect, a wire transfer might be safer than all of the counterfeit cashier's checks.
It all comes down to what sounds too good to be true, usually is. Think about how many rational people would buy something sight unseen, with few or no details, for a large amount of money. I have had these guys (or maybe it is one very busy, ambitious guy) even claim they have seen photos of my "item", when I had no photos posted. Some who have been wanting to buy an electric gate opener that I have, I do send a reply, asking if they know what it is that I am selling.
Good luck to your friend.

N2Lake
10-22-2005, 04:33 AM
So what about just the opposite? There was a 2002 or 2003 BMW X5 4.4 with about 24000 miles on it listed for $10,000.00 in the Auto Trader. I thought it sounded to good to be true but it would not hurt to ask some questions, and the pics looked great. This is the reply I got.
Hello and thanks for taking and interest in my car.
You are surprised by the price of this great car, but belive I have no
other alternative. Allow me to get right to the point: I just got of a divorce setellment,
from wich I got HALF of the house plus the car. I sold my part of the house to
my ex and with the money from my part of the house plus the 10000$ i'm getting
from selling this car I can afford to buy a new home (for as you can understand I'm practically HOMELESS at the moment). But enought about my problems,let me tell you some more about the car: I've bought it in one of my holydays spent in the US but as Y have no drivers licence I never registered here in London ( the car is not in USA the car is in LONDON, UK)so it's stil registered in the USA and made for the US market (I was waiting to get my drives licence before registering it here). Do not worry you will not have to pay for it in advance you will pay the full amount only after receving and inspecting the car. The shipping will be fast and the car will be deleverd to your door.
As you can see from the add's photos the paint on it is flawless,never been involved in any accidents,the engine has never been tampered with... to make a long story short this baby is
in excellent running and looking condition.If you have decided to go forward with this transaction please email me back for more info all I can say for the moment is that this transaction will be made via a secure 3-rd party wich will hold the money untill you receive and inspect the vehicule.
Thank you for your time
With the proper 3rd party/ escrow company could a person still get scammed? I would have put a link up to the ad but it is no longer up.

Red Horse
10-22-2005, 05:42 AM
The internet is great and powerful tool. It has also opened up an entire new avenue to the less than honorable people out there. If you dont see someone face to face or if you buy or sell internationaly, then it is buyer (or scamee) beware.
I wouldnt do it.

pjones
10-22-2005, 05:44 AM
Well, I sent him all the info from here and a few things I found. Hopefully he is careful and doesn't get the shaft
You might want to suggest he contact his bank for more info
on the receipt if wire transfers. Also, He should not give out his bank acct #
under any circumstances.....
PJ

OGShocker
10-22-2005, 06:14 AM
WARNING! PLEASE READ THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION!
Before you respond to this interested buyer
Unfortunately Classified web sites are a target for scammers.
The usual scams are:
1. From Overseas Customers.
2. Offer you more money than your asking price but expect you to send them the balance.
3. Say they are purchasing this vehicle for a client.

imirsh1
10-22-2005, 08:01 AM
I am selling some doors on the recycler and I have received 2 of those just today
Hello, and gooday ,I am interested in buying your item,I want to inform you that the payment will be remmited via a postal money order drawn in us funds to you from a client of mine thats owing me.In order to conclude this transaction as soon as possible, the postal money order that will be sent to you will include the money for the item and the shippers fees for organising a home pick up service from you end.You do not need to worry as my shipping company will come to pick the item up from you for shipment. What I want to clarify is that will you be able to send the shipping charges to the shipping agent through Western Union Money Transfer to the shipper as soon as you get the check cashed and you deduct the payment for the sales of your item?If you agree to assist in this capacity , send your full name,your address and phone number so thanks a lot and await your response soonest
regards
Linda
Hello
My name is Roy Albert,I am locating in london,so on my way surfing on the web,i came accross your advert that you want to sell your item which am interested in buying.for the price you called it, And also scan the pics for me for proper verifycation(if available) . as for the shipping,i have a liablem shipper that takes goods care of all my shipping .so about payment i have prepare a CASHIERS CHECK for you,so pls email me back if its still available for sales,so that we can discuss further. email ASAP.......pls reply back. REGARD