PDA

View Full Version : Carb and Intake combo question

Bitz
04-09-2003, 05:31 PM
Have been thinking of upgrading my carb and intake on my BBC jet. Am currently running a very old torker(angled carb mount) and a holley 3310 with the metering block(jets) in the back. Max RPM now is around 4700.
Question is around what carb to consider on a Edelbrock Performer AIR gap. Have been thinking of something like a 830 holley like the 9381 model and adding a 2" spacer. But I am not to sure about how the annular boosters would get along with a dual plane. I suspect this carb would better match a vic jr intake but thought I would get some experienced opinions.

HammerDown
04-09-2003, 08:20 PM
Contact this man Hotcrusader76 (Ty)http://www.tpcracing.com ...he's got All the answers for you carb/manifold questions.
[ April 09, 2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

wfodude
04-10-2003, 01:32 AM
Hey Bitz...I'll trade you info for one of your bitchin boats....maybe one of those awesome hydros for my blown alky motor...Sweet.....

BK
04-11-2003, 01:17 PM
I was running an 830 holley and victor jr on my BBC and had great results.

Bitz
04-12-2003, 05:20 PM
Just own a bitz I don't build them.
Thanks for the info BK how did you find it for fuel consumption with that combo. I do a fair amount of time dragging a tube around and thought the victor was more in line with pedal to the metal ....

BK
04-12-2003, 05:45 PM
I do alot of the same, mostly dragin the family around and some occational wide open runs. The combo worked great from a dead stop to top rpm (5200) and wasnt bad on fuel, I only have 2 12 gallon tanks and could run around for a couple of days on them. Hope this helps. :)

Tunnel Vision 110
04-13-2003, 12:24 PM
The manifold & carb don't sound bad but I would
not use a 2in. spacer on a jet boat motor.
The 2in. spacer is for high RPM & most jet boats
don't run 6000 much less 7000 plus RPM.
If you want to run a spacer run a 4 hole 1 in.
that is venturied. It has been proven to increase
torque in the mid range & hp. too. Just my .02

stix818
04-14-2003, 02:30 AM
That's kind of funny to see both you and the real Bitz (boat builder) is from Canada. I just laugh hysterically when I see the name Bitz.

Hotcrusader76
04-14-2003, 09:40 AM
Bitz:
Have been thinking of upgrading my carb and intake on my BBC jet. Am currently running a very old torker(angled carb mount) and a holley 3310 with the metering block(jets) in the back. Max RPM now is around 4700.
Question is around what carb to consider on a Edelbrock Performer AIR gap. Have been thinking of something like a 830 holley like the 9381 model and adding a 2" spacer. But I am not to sure about how the annular boosters would get along with a dual plane. I suspect this carb would better match a vic jr intake but thought I would get some experienced opinions. For your general application...
You're basically right on track with those combos.
That single plane intake coupled with an HP830 Annular would perform great. If you wanted to add a spacer for an power increase you can start with a 1.5" then maybe move up to a 2.0". I know that's an empirical form of tuning but it should prove to be advantageous for this application.
For the dual plane consider staying with an 750DP,850DP or even the tame HP950 with down-leg boosters. For added torque and improved fuel atomization consider opting for stepped downleg boosters if you have the carburetor custom built. With this combo you too can add a spacer but in 4-hole configuration.
Alot of testing has been done by the folks at Edelbrock, Wilson manifolds, and Dart on the advantages to special design spacers that had contoured dividers and what not. The added cost to owning one of those might not be worth it on the common lake boat.
~Ty