PDA

View Full Version : TRIVIA: Name this campground

Kurtis500
10-23-2005, 08:08 AM
HINT: In Memorial Day 1990, before the Forest Service remodeled (ruined) this campground, there were over 4000 people and 1500 cars on site. Can you say PARTY :rollside:
BTW, I did some great skiing here yesterday.. Water is just fine!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/7bc.JPG

soupersonic
10-23-2005, 08:36 AM
i cant remember the name of the campground,but im jealous, i love that lake

a catered life
10-23-2005, 09:34 AM
i got one!!!! worst ramp in parker expensive as hell and sucky customer service..........................BML :frown:

XTRM22
10-23-2005, 10:16 AM
HMMM could it be.... Burnt Corral, nothing like the days of sundown drag racing! Or watching Gary Smith (of Predator Fame) make 120 mph passes in his 22 Daytona.
Chuck :)

2Driver
10-23-2005, 10:34 AM
The one at apache? forget the name? Give it up.
Yep the forest serivce F'd up every lake around Phx with their so called enhancements. How about the hundreds of picnic and cabana sites at Pleasant and Roosevelt that are so far from the lake that no-one has ever used them - ever. Or the ramp at Roosevelt that is so far up the wash the water never gets there. Dry ramp 99.99999999999999% of the time, oh yeah and the cabanas there to.
F'em. I never buy a day pass and have never been ticketed. I just sing " this land is my land" as I pass by the self pay booth and figure I am good to go : :D
Thank Bill Clinton for all that governement waste. THat whole charge to use public land $hit cluster Fuk is FEMA in a brown ranger suit.
Off soap box :D

Boatcop
10-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Yep the forest serivce F'd up every lake around Phx with their so called enhancements. How about the hundreds of picnic and cabana sites at Pleasant and Roosevelt that are so far from the lake that no-one has ever used them - ever. Or the ramp at Roosevelt that is so far up the wash the water never gets there. Dry ramp 99.99999999999999% of the time, oh yeah and the cabanas there to.
F'em. I never buy a day pass and have never been ticketed. I just sing " this land is my land" as I pass by the self pay booth and figure I am good to go : :D
Thank Bill Clinton for all that governement waste. THat whole charge to use public land $hit cluster Fuk is FEMA in a brown ranger suit.
Don't blame the Forest Service for the improvements, or lack of, at Phoenix area and other Arizona lakes. For example, Lake Pleasant is part of the Maricopa County Park System, the Feds have nothing to do with it. The improvements on most Arizona Lakes are made through State Lake Improvement Fund Grants. In the past 20 years the following Counties/Cities have received grants for their Lakes:
Gila: 1.6 million (San Carlos, Roosevelt, Seneca)
Maricopa: 2.8 Million (Pleasant, Canyon, Saguaro,Apache)
Mohave: 7.6 Million (Davis Camp, Lake Mead, Lake Mohave)
Lake Havasu City: 8.1 Million (Channel, Mudshark Beach, Rotary Park)
La Paz County: 2.5 Million (Parker Strip, Lake Havasu)
That's just for lake facility improvements and doesn't include any improvments done by the State Park System, such as Windsor, Buckskin, Cattail Cove or any of the other State Parks.
The money in the grant funds (administered by Arizona State Parks) comes from a portion of Boat Registration Fees and taxes paid on Marine Fuel, and Motor Vehicle Fuel attributed to Marine use.
Even on Lakes under control of the Federal Government, such as Mead, Mohave and Powell, that fund does the majority of the improvements. Most of Katherines Landing, Princess Cove, Telephone Cove, Temple Bar, and other improvements on the Arizona side of those lakes were paid for almost entirely through State Grant funds, and not Federal dollars.
It is interesting that Lake Havasu City has sucked up the most money, for the smallest waterway area. Basically Thompson Bay, Site Six, and the Channel. Although 5.1 million of that was to buy London Bridge Beach. Since they bought it from the State Land Department, all that did was shift money around from the grant fund back to the State coffers.

AZKC
10-24-2005, 07:00 AM
When is the last time you were at Roosevelt :idea: All the ramps are in the water and have been most of the year. All the cabanas by the water were full every weekend. This is a pic of the lamp at the top of the 4 lane ramp at Windy Hill. Its about 25 ft tall.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/256-11-20050089-med.jpg
But your right its horrible up there I wouldn't recomend it to anyone ;)

AZKC
10-24-2005, 07:06 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/7bc.JPG
Good ole Burnt Coral. Yeah the made a mess of the main campground thats for sure. Still some primitive camping on the far south end right of the ramp looking from the water. Also the North Burnt Corral which is the turn before Burnt Coral(coming from Rosy) is also primitive camping. I've been going there since the late 70's still my favorite lake.

Kurtis500
10-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Don't blame the Forest Service for the improvements, or lack of, at Phoenix area and other Arizona lakes. For example, Lake Pleasant is part of the Maricopa County Park System, the Feds have nothing to do with it. The improvements on most Arizona Lakes are made through State Lake Improvement Fund Grants. In the past 20 years the following Counties/Cities have received grants for their Lakes:
Gila: 1.6 million (San Carlos, Roosevelt, Seneca)
Maricopa: 2.8 Million (Pleasant, Canyon, Saguaro,Apache)
Mohave: 7.6 Million (Davis Camp, Lake Mead, Lake Mohave)
Lake Havasu City: 8.1 Million (Channel, Mudshark Beach, Rotary Park)
La Paz County: 2.5 Million (Parker Strip, Lake Havasu)
That's just for lake facility improvements and doesn't include any improvments done by the State Park System, such as Windsor, Buckskin, Cattail Cove or any of the other State Parks.
The money in the grant funds (administered by Arizona State Parks) comes from a portion of Boat Registration Fees and taxes paid on Marine Fuel, and Motor Vehicle Fuel attributed to Marine use.
Even on Lakes under control of the Federal Government, such as Mead, Mohave and Powell, that fund does the majority of the improvements. Most of Katherines Landing, Princess Cove, Telephone Cove, Temple Bar, and other improvements on the Arizona side of those lakes were paid for almost entirely through State Grant funds, and not Federal dollars.
It is interesting that Lake Havasu City has sucked up the most money, for the smallest waterway area. Basically Thompson Bay, Site Six, and the Channel. Although 5.1 million of that was to buy London Bridge Beach. Since they bought it from the State Land Department, all that did was shift money around from the grant fund back to the State coffers.
Lake Pleasant is within the Maricopa County parks system. It is the only one, and probably a reason for the various dollar numbers you see. Apache and all other Phoenix area lakes are under Tonto National Forest. The decision to tear down and rebuild was made by the US Forest Service. The man who actually pulled the trigger on the event sat in Deming New Mexico, a long ways from Apache Lake. Many of our friends had organized the campaign to stop the FS back in the late 80's. And recently when all the owners of the homes on the premise of the Apache Lake resort were ordered to vacate the land and thier leases would not be renewed, that also came from the Forest Service. Its thier land, nothing-including the 'ramps to nowhere' and the cabanas in the middle of the desert get erected without thier consent and approval. Local improvement funds were added over 10 years ago or so as a 3 year pilot program, well, its been three years and we are all still paying. The Phoenix area lakes dont have city,county,state and federal converging into one place like the Colorado River. These all sit squarely in the middle of the Tonto National Forest with county agencies providing emergency services, the state maintaining the roads and the Bureau of Reclamation/SRP with the 6 Dams.
I will give them this, 4000 people in one campground with one point of access is an emergency workers nightmare. Imagine going to the city of Tolleson and walking up to the first (drunk) person you see and asking him where the guy having the heart attack is..

2Driver
10-25-2005, 07:55 AM
When is the last time you were at Roosevelt :idea: All the ramps are in the water and have been most of the year. All the cabanas by the water were full every weekend. This is a pic of the lamp at the top of the 4 lane ramp at Windy Hill. Its about 25 ft tall.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/256-11-20050089-med.jpg
But your right its horrible up there I wouldn't recomend it to anyone ;)
Talking about the newer ramp and site WAY north west up Tonto creek (up the wash as you drive into Roosevelt from Punkin Center). Hard to believe that would ever get water unless it was a 100 year rain or flash flood passing by in the wash. As for the cabana's, Man I have been there and there are a sea of unused cabanas in areas where I doubt anyone has ever stayed. Hey, it's just goofy that they pull funds in and waste it to that degree. I can image what it cost to put in so many covered cabana's.
I just got back from Hiking Sedona with my son. $5 for a red rock pass so I can park on the side of the road and $7 to park at "call of the canyon" trail head. I disagree wth governemnt charging citizens to use their public land. Pretty soon you will need a $5 pass to pull over and change your tire.
Take a look at Bartlett. Plenty of unused sites there too, too far back from the water to use. Everyone goes down to the beach and the sites are empty. Yet they collect your money and leave the boat ramps full of drift wood and logs from ths past winter's storms. They still have not move the logs and wood. I asked the forest serivce guy and he said they did not have the funds to have someone clean the ramp, but they found a few mill to put in campsite improvements that few will ever use. :rolleyes:
Thanks BOATCOP for the detail on revenue and fund allocation....very interesting. It would be nice to skip a few so called "improved" campsites that will rarely see a camper and give you guys a raise or a few extra men. ;) Bottom line is that these lands used to be open and fee free for the american public and now it is burdened with petty user fees, and waste. I am sure there is some good in it somewhere.

DeepVee
10-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Lake Mary, outside Flagstaff, is also under Forest Service Control.
Freakin Idiots.
The lake was full this year for the first time in three years. All kinds of people were trying to use the lake and we had no boat docks and most of the buoys were in the wrong place. I called and asked about the docks and they said they didn't have money to put the docks out, so the docks sat in the parking lot all summer until they came and removed them. Well who paid for them to be removed?

2Driver
10-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Lake Mary, outside Flagstaff, is also under Forest Service Control.
Freakin Idiots.
I called and asked about the docks and they said they didn't have money to put the docks out, so the docks sat in the parking lot all summer until they came and removed them. Well who paid for them to be removed?
They were to busy at an awards dinner with FEMA Director Michael D. Brown.

Sleek-Jet
10-25-2005, 12:57 PM
I thought the fee demo program was set to expire???
I don't mind paying to use the camp grounds (and as full as Roosevelt is, there isn't any camping anywhere else now), but the day fee is BS... :devil:

Kurtis500
10-25-2005, 04:20 PM
Yes, the day use fee was touted as a 3 year pilot program. That was 10 years ago or so. It has yet to disappear, and quite frankly after dealing with the F.S. 15 years ago its not worth the time asking. You will do as they say and thats final. Next to nothing has been added to the sites since the fees came that wasn't there 20 years prior except the high tech toll pay booths. They are much nicer than the porta jons still at some of the campgrounds. Crab tree wash is just that, a wash, but now with a pricey toll booth in it and nothing else. :rolleyes:
It is very frustrating to know we ALL pay tax dollars to the Forest Service and etc and THEN get charged to use it. Its like forcing us to give them a bonus check after we pay the normal wages.

AZKC
10-25-2005, 04:54 PM
They are charging to camp at Crab Tree now :( That sucks. :lightsabe