PDA

View Full Version : thermostat holes

moomba
01-08-2002, 05:07 AM
Has any one ever heard of drilling 3 small holes somewhere in the thermostat to get more water flow through before the therostat opens? Where do i drill the holes and what size?

DOHARA
01-08-2002, 07:59 AM
MOOMBA, ya you can do it. drill in flat area towards middle, just beside the center part of therm.

01-08-2002, 10:30 AM
Try drilling 1 small hole first such as 1/16". Anymore will flow too much water and the thermostat will not work right.

Tinkerboater
01-08-2002, 03:20 PM
Why do you want more flow? All the thermostats that I have seen already have a small bypass to let a small amount of water flow whan closed.

US1Fountain
01-08-2002, 06:21 PM
The holes are usually added to reduce water pressure when using a crossover tube instead of a water pump when the stat is still closed. Many end up with three 3/16 holes. If you have to much pressure, use a restrictor instead of a t-stat.
[This message has been edited by US1Fountain (edited January 08, 2002).]

snappertapper
01-09-2002, 09:06 AM
i would take the thermostats completely out if i were you

Tinkerboater
01-09-2002, 08:45 PM
If you just want to get rid of water pressure and not cool the engine off to much at low speeds with a merc i/o you can drill the housing to bypass the water to the exhaust without going tru the stat. I run the hoses that went to the riser ells overboard and spray it on the outdrives since it is almost lake temp. This doesn't give any water to the exhaust untill the thermostat opens so I started to burn the connector hoses. First try was drill the stat. Then the engines ran too cold at slow speed. Second try was the bypass holes (two 1/4') drilled between the inlet side and discharge side. Everything runs great.
[This message has been edited by Tinkerboater (edited January 09, 2002).]