PDA

View Full Version : THIS is what I love about boating.....

rrrr
10-24-2005, 07:05 AM
SHARING.
My wife's Aunt Lois and Uncle Ross came down from Okleehoma to visit for the weekend. My mother-in-laws family grew up poor. I'm talking P-O-O-R. They had five girls and two boys, dirt farmers in Kansas. My mother-in-law is one of the hardest working people I know, and she saves every penny she can.
Anyway, I found out a couple of years ago that Aunt Lois had never been in a boat. So, we drove up to Lake Ft. Gibson with the boat (it's a beautiful lake near Tulsa) and we took her and her husband out riding around. She loved it. Just had the greatest time ever. She hurt her back a year ago, now has to use a walker and never gets out of the house.
So Friday they drove down here to visit my M-I-L, and yesterday afternoon we took 'em out on our big Chapparral bowrider. It was a freekin' beautiful day, 75 degrees, no clouds, no wind. We helped her into the boat at the marina, and headed out to cruise.
The lake was like glass, not another boat around. We just cruised around for two hours, following the shoreline and enjoying the day. The boat rides like a big ol' luxo sedan, and man you should have seen how much fun she was having just riding around.
I'm still in a good mood this morning, just had a great time sharing the fun of boating with those folks and enjoying their reaction to the beauty of the day.
Isn't it great when you can spread the fun around?? :cool: :rollside: :)
EDIT: And just to make it more special, a cold front blew in last night. It's 53 degrees with 35 MPH gusts out of the North :jawdrop: . What a beautiful day of Fall boating.

dmontzsta
10-24-2005, 07:08 AM
Hey Ron,
That is what its all about. I remember my dad taking a marine for a ride, he had just got back from serving. He would not stop thanking him, but we kept telling him "THANK YOU". The guy was so damn jazzed. Its all about having a good time and showing people a good time, thats what makes boating and boaters a good time. :D
Hope to see you at CBBB next year.

core attitude
10-24-2005, 07:53 AM
That's a great way to make some memories, and it's so easy to do for those who might not have the chance otherwise. Very cool for all involved. http://www2.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif
Pete

Mohave Vice
10-24-2005, 08:59 AM
That is just great!! Boats are what keep family and great friends together. Way to gooooooooooooooooo! Have you been to Tenkilleror on Grand lake?

Bling Bling
10-24-2005, 09:34 AM
SHARING.
Ditto, the smile on there faces after a great day of boating is worth it all. Pat yourself on the back, that was a great gesture.(sp)

Sane Asylum
10-24-2005, 08:38 PM
SHARING.
My wife's Aunt Lois and Uncle Ross came down from Okleehoma to visit for the weekend. My mother-in-laws family grew up poor. I'm talking P-O-O-R. They had five girls and two boys, dirt farmers in Kansas. My mother-in-law is one of the hardest working people I know, and she saves every penny she can.
Anyway, I found out a couple of years ago that Aunt Lois had never been in a boat. So, we drove up to Lake Ft. Gibson with the boat (it's a beautiful lake near Tulsa) and we took her and her husband out riding around. She loved it. Just had the greatest time ever. She hurt her back a year ago, now has to use a walker and never gets out of the house.
So Friday they drove down here to visit my M-I-L, and yesterday afternoon we took 'em out on our big Chapparral bowrider. It was a freekin' beautiful day, 75 degrees, no clouds, no wind. We helped her into the boat at the marina, and headed out to cruise.
The lake was like glass, not another boat around. We just cruised around for two hours, following the shoreline and enjoying the day. The boat rides like a big ol' luxo sedan, and man you should have seen how much fun she was having just riding around.
I'm still in a good mood this morning, just had a great time sharing the fun of boating with those folks and enjoying their reaction to the beauty of the day.
EDIT: And just to make it more special, a cold front blew in last night. It's 53 degrees with 35 MPH gusts out of the North :jawdrop: . What a beautiful day of Fall boating.
That's a great story...........Thanks for posting....
I love seeing the look on folks faces when they're experiencing what you've described.......
Makes my day......

phebus
10-24-2005, 08:44 PM
It's nice to read a thread about the joy of boating with family and friends, without complaints of: they didn't give gas money, they drank all my beer, they didn't help wash it, etc.
They were your guests, they had a good time, you had a good time and left feeling good. Hell, I feel good. Enough said, bravo!!

bunny 166
10-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Great post...Sounds terrific!! Glad you all enjoyed your time together!! ;)