PDA

View Full Version : UPS is my friend!

DogHouse
03-15-2003, 04:45 PM
The great brown truck dropped 8 of these off a couple days ago... Now they're down at Larry's getting fitted to a shiny new Dart tall deck. Wooohooo! :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/313piston.JPG

Cs19
03-15-2003, 04:50 PM
are threre any advantages to running a tall deck versus a standard deck? if you dont mind how much is a new dart tall deck i think im in the market. thanks

DogHouse
03-15-2003, 05:00 PM
Kinda depends on what size motor you're building. If you're running a 4" crank, then there's really no need for a tall deck. Biggest crank you can squeeze into a standard deck and retain a reasonable rod ratio and compression height is 4.25". Some folks won't even go that far. If you want to go bigger then you need the tall deck. Once you go to the aftermarket block, the price is the same regardless of deck height. A good price on the Dart block with iron caps is 1800-1900. Steel caps are a couple hundred more.

Tinkerer
03-15-2003, 05:36 PM
Those pistons look like they are coated are they???

DogHouse
03-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Yes they are coated. I went through PolyDyn out in Tx. They will buy from JE or Wiseco, coat the tops and skirts, and sell them at jobber pricing. It's a bit of a savings compared to purchasing retail and then paying for the coatings.

Tinkerer
03-15-2003, 06:58 PM
Can you post a link or some info???
What was the cost.
What engine are they for.CI???
[ March 15, 2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Tinkerboater ]

DogHouse
03-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Polymer Dynamics (http://www.polydyn.com)
These are 4.6 x 1.145 JE for BBC, 5cc solid dome, with pins, double spiro locks, and oil rail supports, about 850 plus shipping. Flat tops and/or Wisecos are slightly less. These will make a 598 with a 4.5 crank and 6.8 rods.

Sleek-Jet
03-15-2003, 07:14 PM
How difficult is it to put a 4.25 crank in a standard block. Looking at doing it in my truck, any experience?

DogHouse
03-15-2003, 08:11 PM
Not sure how much (if any) clearancing is required on a standard block. Assuming you're using steel rods, I'd guess that it would be minimal. I'm sure someone around here has done it so hopefully they'll speak up!

blown23vee
03-15-2003, 08:32 PM
What the heck?? Aren't you tired of yanking that
damn motor in & out yet? Oh, and they're "down
at Larry's?" Perhaps we should be carpooling...
Rick

Infomaniac
03-15-2003, 08:53 PM
Very nice pistons. !!!!
What is it going in?
I come up with .004 in the hole and 10.9:1 with 119 cc heads. Tall deck block. That is a very short comp height. I would definately not use any nitrous or boost with them.
[ March 16, 2003, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Infomaniac
03-15-2003, 08:57 PM
Sleek-Jet:
How difficult is it to put a 4.25 crank in a standard block. Looking at doing it in my truck, any experience? It is not difficult. The rod ratio sucks though. Clearance depends on each individual block, crank, rods etc. Buy the parts and check it before doing any block work.

Hotcrusader76
03-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Nice! eek!
Wow...can't wait to get mine from the Up's truck....
~Ty

Sleek-Jet
03-15-2003, 10:46 PM
Infomaniac:
Sleek-Jet:
How difficult is it to put a 4.25 crank in a standard block. Looking at doing it in my truck, any experience? It is not difficult. The rod ratio sucks though. Clearance depends on each individual block, crank, rods etc. Buy the parts and check it before doing any block work. Thanks Info, will do.
If I understand rod ratio, the higher the ratio, the better, correct?

Craig
03-16-2003, 07:35 AM
Brian, WTF? What was wrong with the "little" motor? Tony put that 540 in his Baja. He fired it up and said, "It was making a strange noise" Went over and we played around with it. Ended up yanking it back out and dinging the oil pan ever so slightly where 6 of the 8 rods were just hitting the pan by the rail. It was hitting just enough to make noise and take off the anodize from the pan but not dent it :D
Craig

DogHouse
03-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Craig, the "little" motor was never quite right. It was built on a very old block and never had good oil pressure. Add in all the water/oil problems that I've had and it was just time to do it right from the ground up, for peace of mind if nothing else. You won't believe this but the boat is fast enough as-is... I don't really "need" a blower, and would never get one past the CFO, especially after replacing a block and pistons! So, I decided to optimize the naturally aspirated combo and be happy with it. Larry tells me that his Dart block motors have been making over 90 psi oil pressure, and that he's been having to use lighter springs in the oil pumps. That is music to my ears!

blown23vee
03-16-2003, 11:16 AM
Hey Brian, when are you going down next??
(Tucson that is!!)

DogHouse
03-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Blown25Cat (hint hint), I'm guessing two weeks, probably on a Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. He said there was a chance of getting it done in one week but that sounds a little quick to me. You still have stuff to pick up?

blown23vee
03-16-2003, 06:16 PM
Yea, but mine is supposed to be done end of this
week or next weekend. I'll let you know...even if
mine's done sooner & I pick it up, I'll still go
for the drive if you want someone to yak with on
the drive down. Let me know...
Rick

DogHouse
03-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Rick, sounds good. Yeah, if you're not in a hurry to pick yours up then maybe we could carpool. I imagine it would be tough to get your blower motor in the back of your Tahoe, so we can take my truck if you want. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
-brian

blown23vee
03-17-2003, 06:59 PM
Larry is putting the motor IN the boat, so we
have to tow it, not carry it!! Didn't like the
thought of halfway disassembling the motor to
crane it back in the boat, so I towed the boat
there to have him drop it in...then I decided
what the hell, it'll come out better if he does
the whole damn thing-I need a bunch of gauges re-arranged & new ones cut & installed so I'll have him to it all.
If it was going back in the same boat I'd have
done it myself, but I don't have the time or the
patience at this point to deal with it on the
chance theres some retro-fitting & custom bull
sh*t to do. (gee, what are the chances of that?!)
Keep in touch & we'll hook up for the next trip!
Rick

DogHouse
04-01-2003, 06:09 PM
Getting closer:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/313598_3_small.jpg
Now if that brown truck would show up again and drop off more stuff, I could finish up this little baby chevy and go boating!
:D

GofastRacer
04-01-2003, 06:21 PM
Very nice!. :cool: What is that coating on your pan?, don't remember ever seing one like that, kinda cool, different!. :confused:

DogHouse
04-01-2003, 06:35 PM
Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing how this thing runs...
The pan is a Dooley, and the coating is their standard stuff, just a black wrinkle finish paint of some sort. I really don't know exactly what it is, but it's tough as nails. Speaking of Dooley, I have to give them some credit here. Last year I bought a new pan from them and had problems all season with leaks along the rail on the windage side. We sent it back to them recently after a full year of use, not really knowing what to expect. With no arguments, they acknowledged that the stroker notches had been ground too deep and sent a brand new pan. Gotta love customer service like that!

GofastRacer
04-01-2003, 06:46 PM
Wow, that's something new, they always had the usual gold irridite just like everyone else has!. Dooley has always been one of the better people to work with, they treat their customers well!.. :cool:

Infomaniac
04-01-2003, 07:16 PM
Very nice :D

Hotcrusader76
04-02-2003, 01:19 PM
Wow! That short block looks clean. It's always a good feeling when a new motor is ready to be bolted up, specially one such as that.

DogHouse
04-11-2003, 07:53 AM
Brown truck came again yesterday. I was busy last night... :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/313598_longblock-med.jpg

Craig
04-11-2003, 08:36 AM
I see you're running that same "spensive" $$$ seawater pump I am wink I had Phil Bergeron machine the back plate to accept AN fittings. Blew a hose at full throttle almost ruined my day!