PDA

View Full Version : Pulled the Boat - Thanks

Avenger 1975
10-25-2005, 08:05 PM
Here in NH its past the end of boating season. I went for a last ride today and pulled and partially winterized the boat. Thanks for answering my foolish questions, all the help here is much appreciated, it kept me on the water having a blast getting used to a jet.
My winter question is whether to work on this boat, it needs a ton of work, or to look for something in better condition. I see all the boats for sale on the west coast, some great deals, but transport is too expensive so I need to find something closer to home if I go that route. I think I'd like to move up to a 21 ft. boat from my 18 ft., would enjoy the extra room and better rough water handling. I guess I'll decide which way to go in the next few months.

skipr
10-26-2005, 02:54 PM
Avenger 1975,
Where in NH are you located? I also have a 75 avenger, and I'm located in western MA.
Steve

SmokinLowriderSS
10-26-2005, 03:30 PM
Personally, if you are willing to sell at any time, I'd do whatever winter projects will enhance the value of the boat while taking a minimum outlay of cash.
Two people's winter project plans:
My Taylor SS was bought new by my father and worn out over 25 years by both of us, She became mine 2 winters ago and is a winter project every year (but of course, she is NOT for sale). :boxed:
I've done interior work and a repaint on top to restore her appearance, an engine rebuild (which was certainly due) and engine upgrade program was begun with cam, intake, and proper beefing of related parts in prep, all new cables (exc. throttle), stereo replacement, trailer lighting, wiring on both, and new loader (replaced 1979 model).
This winter is carpet, upholstery on the engine cover, jacketed thru-transom headers, lighting upgrades, pump rebuild & impeller replacement (bronze to eventually take 600 HP), Nitrous upgrade (old system 1979), and ignition replacement of worn out prestolite with MSD ready-to-run boxless ditributor.
Next winter looks like head porting and the engine will be done. Very nearly 500 HP Nat Aspirated 454, and reduce the Nitrous to 100 HP likely.
A friend of mine has bought his first jet and I am helping him out. An Omega with a rod-thrown 460, a Dominator pump (good pump and just rebuilt too), 2 rebuildable 460's for parts, and a boat that has been short-cut and "rednecked" at every turn while the previous owner had it 10 years. We are straightening it out and he will be enjoying the heck out of it next year, for sale the whole time. If he sells it, it is upgrade opportunity. It should sell when we are done for a good bit more than he has in it. If it doesn't sell, then next winter will be another winter to improve it with "sweat-equity" and make it even more desireable for the following year. He bought it as a stepping stone to learn about jets and to enjoy feeding the monkey that jumped on his back after a ride in my Taylor a year ago.

Avenger 1975
10-26-2005, 07:22 PM
I don't have a lot of time I can spend on the boat right now, so I have to focus on what it needs most. I plan to re-wire, new gauges, might have pump work done. I haven't looked at cost yet but would like to put a diverter on it.
I'm not too concerned about value vs. work at this point. I bought it for $1,500 and have put another $2,000 in to get it running. I looked at this boat as a way to learn about jet boats, see how much I like jets. It wouldn't bother me to sell it for what I have in it or even a bit less, then spend more to get more boat, something larger, in good cosmetic shape, already with diverter, etc.
I guess where I'm at is if I see something I like, I'll buy it and sell my boat. If not I'll continue to work on it this winter.