PDA

View Full Version : New IMCO Drive

dirty old man
10-26-2005, 12:53 PM
That new #1000 IMCO drive shown in the Nov/Dec Hot boat looks like the answer, has anyone gotten a quote yet. It would save a ton of weight and cost to not have to go to SSM #6's. My cig is ready for new drives and I don't want to cut the transom

phebus
10-26-2005, 01:47 PM
Fuuny, I was going to ask if anyone was building a boat with the new drive in mind. Whatever the cost is, it might be the only viable alternative out there for those with high horsepower and torque that can't keep a Bravo together.
Both the ***boat write up, and the F&PB article make it look very impressive.

Havasu47
10-26-2005, 04:48 PM
It is only sold as a "complete" kit. Drive, gimbal, stand off box, full hyd steering, helm, tranny, coupler, bellhousing, flywheel, etc., even all the hardware you'll need.
Retail is $35,586.51 - single $69,764.85 - twin

dirty old man
10-27-2005, 07:23 AM
Like I said, lighter and cheaper. Probably more steamlined too

Boatlesss
10-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Cheaper than what?
For that amount of $$ I can buy new SSM#6's or Arnesons for less.
Not a deal at all.

dirty old man
10-28-2005, 11:18 AM
You mean gimbals, drives, transmissions, stand off boxes and steering?

Boatlesss
10-28-2005, 02:20 PM
A complete Mercury SSM#6 Dry Sump Drive unit. Might I remind you that a complete drive unit is not just a leg or just a transom assembly like everyone keeps referring to with a Bravo, rather a drive unit is everything that is the drive. Transom Assembly which has the steering in it, and the leg with a spacer only cost $33K ea..
There is no way in Hell that this little IMCO can compare to a SSM#6.
An Arneson ASD8 cost $28K complete with steering and such.
So IMCO or the rest? The choice is pretty obvious especially when you look at the sky high price of a Bravo copy.

ECeptor
10-28-2005, 05:54 PM
I can't believe designing a 1000hp, 1000ft-lbs capable outdrive for a reasonable price would be that difficult. Now, where did I put my AGMA reference books.....

Havasu47
11-01-2005, 02:27 PM
A complete Mercury SSM#6 Dry Sump Drive unit. Might I remind you that a complete drive unit is not just a leg or just a transom assembly like everyone keeps referring to with a Bravo, rather a drive unit is everything that is the drive. Transom Assembly which has the steering in it, and the leg with a spacer only cost $33K ea..
So IMCO or the rest? The choice is pretty obvious especially when you look at the sky high price of a Bravo copy.
First of all Imco never claimed it was a #6 replacement. They claim it to be between the Bravo style and the #6.
$33,000.00 does not buy every thing you need for a #6 install. $33,000.00 is basically dealer cost for the drive and transom assy. No, they dont' come as a unit. The drive is bought seperately from the transom assy. The transom assy does not come with the steering in it. Only the steering cylinders. You still need the helm, wheel, hoses, and fittings. It also does not come with the transmission, drive plate, bellhousing, etc. When you compare EVERYTHING needed to complete the install, the #6 is a fair amount more.
The Imco 1000 is an alternative when you dont have the HP that demands a #6, but will kill a Bravo style.
I am not pushing one over the other, only trying to give a little insight.
The #6 is the king (actually the #7 now). The 1000 is just a good alternative for an engine like a very large CI normally aspirated engine that would kill a Bravo and the #6 would be heavy and absorb more HP.

HP350SC
11-01-2005, 06:04 PM
Hopefully the new drive will be better than the 4X4. :notam:
If I was looking to build a tough drive (short of a #6), I would go with a B-max with Max machine worx shafts. That would combine the bigger gears, and the torsional "give" of the MMW shafts.

Boatlesss
11-01-2005, 09:08 PM
First of all Imco never claimed it was a #6 replacement. They claim it to be between the Bravo style and the #6.
$33,000.00 does not buy every thing you need for a #6 install. $33,000.00 is basically dealer cost for the drive and transom assy. No, they dont' come as a unit. The drive is bought seperately from the transom assy. The transom assy does not come with the steering in it. Only the steering cylinders. You still need the helm, wheel, hoses, and fittings. It also does not come with the transmission, drive plate, bellhousing, etc. When you compare EVERYTHING needed to complete the install, the #6 is a fair amount more.
The Imco 1000 is an alternative when you dont have the HP that demands a #6, but will kill a Bravo style.
I am not pushing one over the other, only trying to give a little insight.
The #6 is the king (actually the #7 now). The 1000 is just a good alternative for an engine like a very large CI normally aspirated engine that would kill a Bravo and the #6 would be heavy and absorb more HP.
The SSM#6 does come with the steering cylinders in the gimbal and the plumbing to the get the steering through the transom. No there is no helm, internal hydraulic hoses, nor transmission and such. The Arneson Bravo conversion kit comes with all the things you listed and at half the price of the IMCO.
The SSM#7 was made as a Diesel drive unit back in the late 90's it is no longer being made.
You can argue that the drive units come in sub assemblies but one is useless without the other so it is a mute point.
Point is for a Bravo copy, the IMCO is way overpriced.

Havasu47
11-02-2005, 08:30 AM
The SSM#6 does come with the steering cylinders in the gimbal and the plumbing to the get the steering through the transom. No there is no helm, internal hydraulic hoses, nor transmission and such. The Arneson Bravo conversion kit comes with all the things you listed and at half the price of the IMCO.
The SSM#7 was made as a Diesel drive unit back in the late 90's it is no longer being made.
You can argue that the drive units come in sub assemblies but one is useless without the other so it is a mute point.
Point is for a Bravo copy, the IMCO is way overpriced.
It is not a moot point. That is how they are sold from Mercury.
You compare retail (Imco) to Dealer cost (#6). Hardley a fair comparison.
I am not here to argue that the Imco is competition for the SSM. If you read my post again you will see that. If you have seen the Imco in person you will see it is not a "Bravo copy".
Again, it is an alternative.
The Arneson conversion is rated to 750 ft. lbs. of torque. How does that compare to the 1000 rating of the Imco? Arneson drives have a limited application that is different from a Bravo or SSM. One example is you will not pull a speed skiier with an Arneson
Once again, it is an alternative that has a place in its application.
To be totally fair compare the #6 at retail: Drive $33,375.00, T/A $18,004.00, Tranny $10,601.00, drive plate $632.00, etc.
I've used #3, #5, & #6 drives, as I said the #6 is the King. If some one needs more than a Bravo and less than a #6 it is a great alternative with some advantages for a normally aspirated engine.
What type of experience do you have with Imco drives and #6 drives? It sounds like you have Imco on the chopping block.
Just curious.

Boatlesss
11-02-2005, 09:36 AM
It is not a moot point. That is how they are sold from Mercury.
You compare retail (Imco) to Dealer cost (#6). Hardley a fair comparison.
I am not here to argue that the Imco is competition for the SSM. If you read my post again you will see that. If you have seen the Imco in person you will see it is not a "Bravo copy".
Again, it is an alternative.
The Arneson conversion is rated to 750 ft. lbs. of torque. How does that compare to the 1000 rating of the Imco? Arneson drives have a limited application that is different from a Bravo or SSM. One example is you will not pull a speed skiier with an Arneson
Once again, it is an alternative that has a place in its application.
To be totally fair compare the #6 at retail: Drive $33,375.00, T/A $18,004.00, Tranny $10,601.00, drive plate $632.00, etc.
I've used #3, #5, & #6 drives, as I said the #6 is the King. If some one needs more than a Bravo and less than a #6 it is a great alternative with some advantages for a normally aspirated engine.
What type of experience do you have with Imco drives and #6 drives? It sounds like you have Imco on the chopping block.
Just curious.
Apparently you were not at Catalina ski race this year where an individual named "Tony Adams" placed second overall and his boat had Arneson Surface Drives and his motors make well more than 750. The Arnesons do not break! If you look at the overall picture, IMCO is the one with the limited market as there are Arneson Surface Drives on boats from 18’ to over 200’. The power loss and the power limitations are both against IMCO also.
Not hating on IMCO, just stating the obvious. Why pay that much $$ for a, yes Bravo copy, (Even the article says one would be hard pressed to see a difference between the two) when one is far better off with Mercury. Not to mention IMCO does not have a reputation of standing behind their product.
Once again, you can try and separate the SSM#6 into pieces, but the boat needs both pieces of the drive in order to be functional. No matter how you look at it, it takes both halves to make whole. As for Mercury's pricing marketing strategies, no one pays list. No one. Mercury has more pricing breaks than Evil Knivel has broken bones. $10K for a transmission? Look at what BAM or Huber charges.
You work for IMCO?

ELIMINAT THIS
11-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Apparently you were not at Catalina ski race this year where an individual named "Tony Adams" placed second overall and his boat had Arneson Surface Drives and his motors make well more than 750. The Arnesons do not break! If you look at the overall picture, IMCO is the one with the limited market as there are Arneson Surface Drives on boats from 18’ to over 200’. The power loss and the power limitations are both against IMCO also.
Not hating on IMCO, just stating the obvious. Why pay that much $$ for a, yes Bravo copy, (Even the article says one would be hard pressed to see a difference between the two) when one is far better off with Mercury. Not to mention IMCO does not have a reputation of standing behind their product.
Once again, you can try and separate the SSM#6 into pieces, but the boat needs both pieces of the drive in order to be functional. No matter how you look at it, it takes both halves to make whole. As for Mercury's pricing marketing strategies, no one pays list. No one. Mercury has more pricing breaks than Evil Knivel has broken bones. $10K for a transmission? Look at what BAM or Huber charges.
You work for IMCO?
Speaking of Tony Adams boat I was told by Seaton marine here in disco bay ( he put the arneson's bravo conv's on that boat) you can get a arneson bravo conv. for around $14,000 - $15,000.

acatitude
11-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Well I would agree ARneson is the way to go. I had one on my 1981 carrera elite and it has 23 years service. my question is has anyone seen one or know of one on a 25/26 single motor cat????
ALso Im not sure an arneson 10 will adapt, its quite big and a 8 isnt rated at 1000 hp. would be interested to hear of anyone using an arneson on a single cat. I cant keep my imco extreme from breaking with 1000 hp, and 32k is a little out of my price range for the new one. Id take an old, in perfect shape b-max if anyone is throwing one out :D

Boatlesss
11-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Well I would agree ARneson is the way to go. I had one on my 1981 carrera elite and it has 23 years service. my question is has anyone seen one or know of one on a 25/26 single motor cat????
ALso Im not sure an arneson 10 will adapt, its quite big and a 8 isnt rated at 1000 hp. would be interested to hear of anyone using an arneson on a single cat. I cant keep my imco extreme from breaking with 1000 hp, and 32k is a little out of my price range for the new one. Id take an old, in perfect shape b-max if anyone is throwing one out :D
Reading Arnesons web site, the ASD8 is rated at 1200 lbs of torque, higher than a SSM#6 even.
You can probably contact them as ask them what they think.
Whatever they say, it can't cost no where near what IMCO is wanting.

HP350SC
11-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Ken, I think Robbie Racer has looked into the Arneson but don't you have to move the motor forward?

acatitude
11-03-2005, 07:06 AM
yea Mike you have to add the tranny in there. My arneson on my old carrera was stamped #001, hows that for longevity. its still on boat and was first production one made. I believe last time Keith talked to rick at Arneson there was an issue with the #8 adapting or thr HP rating. I'm not sure now which it was. Taking my imco apart this weekend, what fun.
Is it true that the imco is xr gears inside?

Boatlesss
11-03-2005, 09:45 AM
I saw that boat the Tony Adams has. They did not move the engine forward.

deltarat
11-03-2005, 09:52 AM
yea Mike you have to add the tranny in there. My arneson on my old carrera was stamped #001, hows that for longevity. its still on boat and was first production one made. I believe last time Keith talked to rick at Arneson there was an issue with the #8 adapting or thr HP rating. I'm not sure now which it was. Taking my imco apart this weekend, what fun.
I was told that the IMCO does use the XR gears, and that the difference was that the IMCO uses a set of bigger shafts.

HP350SC
11-03-2005, 01:11 PM
I saw that boat the Tony Adams has. They did not move the engine forward.
I wonder how they made room for a tranny? Maybe they just start it in gear or something.

don johnson
11-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Call Ron at Bad Attitude Marine, I believe he has a used B Max for sale. He is the West coast dist for B Max.
Ron's number is 928 669- 8870

HP350SC
11-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Yes it does have XR gears. To my way of thinking, the bigger shafts may not break as easily but they transfer more shock load to the gearset. That is why Max machine worx(and maybe others now) designed larger shafts that have some torsional "give" to help absorb torque spikes.

acatitude
11-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Hp, don johnson, delta rat. thanks for the info, wanted to make sure what I was told was correct. being new to the outdrives im learning. taking my top plate off this weekend and see if I can see if the upper is ok or what. thanks for the info # on the b-max. probably out of my range but will check it out

acatitude
11-03-2005, 02:21 PM
HP i had the small shafts before worked grerat. upgraded to the big shafts and pow, lol. I think it had more to do with the setup. Ive found out a little by asking and it seems that they say to leave an extra 3 thousands clearence and it helps the backlash on the gears and Im sure mine didnt have that so we start over

acatitude
11-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Craig supposedly there is a carrera 257 up north here with an arneson but I have never seen it nor has Keith and we have tried to find the guy. Well I broke the vertical shaft right at the lower gears . took the lower off and the shaft kinda wiggled right out in my hand . guess I will make some calls and see how much this will be.

Riverkid
11-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Here's a shot of the Arnesons on a 63 footer with 1300 MTU Diesels...
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2880Baia_Azzura_63_007_Large_.jpg

acatitude
11-06-2005, 01:30 PM
that swim platform looks bigger then my patio

acatitude
11-06-2005, 01:33 PM
test test

acatitude
11-06-2005, 01:33 PM
think someone has the time wrong on their pc or something

Riverkid
11-06-2005, 01:42 PM
The admin's mentioned that the site should be better after 5PM today. The server clock/date was wrong...
That step is like 7' long. The boat still leaves a roost like crazy though!
http://www.riverratlife.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=929&stc=1

Craig
11-06-2005, 02:59 PM
I spoke with Arneson when I broke my Bravo last year. The conversion kit was about 14 grand and the trans went in the stand off box, that's why you didn't have to move the engine forward. Downside was that my center pod has a notch in the back and that would have had to have been filled in to work with the Arneson. I guess really not that big of a deal, but I had to question dumping that kind of coin in a 22' boat. The tech guy on the Arneson site was pretty responsive when I wrote them. He said at the time they were putting one of their drives on a Carrera cat with big power. Wonder if they ever finished it?
Craig

HP350SC
11-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Oh so that's how they do it. I had thought about that but couldn't visualize how they connect the output shaft of the tranny, to a suface drive shaft. I have never seen an Arneson up close, I guess they must look different than I thought.

acatitude
11-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Mike the normal arneson uses what they call a drop box with a chain drive to connect the tranny and drive together. I think some had belt drives also, but mine was chain driven

OGShocker
11-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Reading Arnesons web site....
So basically, you have "googled" your entire boat building and mechanical education. :idea:

Boatlesss
11-09-2005, 08:35 PM
So basically, you have "googled" your entire boat building and mechanical education. :idea:
Are you saying that it is an inaccurate education or that you know more?

OGShocker
11-10-2005, 09:31 AM
Are you saying that it is an inaccurate education or that you know more?
From what I have read in this thread, I see two things.
1. You should change your name to C L U E L E S S.
2. A potted plant has a better grasp on this subject than you do. :hammerhea

Boatlesss
11-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Once again, what is it that is in-accurate other than your tone and opinion?

OGShocker
11-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Your grasp of the English language in the following quotes for one.
Whatever they say, it can't cost no where near what IMCO is wanting.
An ASD8 is $28,000.00 (the only accurate thing you've said). But it is FAR from complete. It is ONLY the drive unit with external trim and steering cylinders. No trans, driveline, bellhousing, drive plate, steering helm and hoses, etc. Not minor details.
Have a nice day! :idea:

Havasu47
11-10-2005, 12:03 PM
I can help with this.
OGShocker beat me to the ASD8 pricing/complete in-accuracy.
Might I remind you that a complete drive unit is not just a leg or just a transom assembly like everyone keeps referring to with a Bravo, rather a drive unit is everything that is the drive. Transom Assembly which has the steering in it, and the leg with a spacer only cost $33K ea..
Remind me???? Are you a Mercury rep? Because when ordering drives from Mercury there is a part number for the drive, and a part number for the transom assy. Period. It is not a "kit". You will also have to order the trans seperately also. As well as the steering. No, the steering cylinders on the transom assy are not the steering. Still not sure what a "spacer" is.
This little Imco? Have you seen one? Please, enlighten us as to a detailed description of the size and type of the gears and shafts.
You work for Imco?[
No. I do work in the Marine industry. You continue to not answer my question of what experience do you personally have with any of these products to post your very strong judgements that could influence someones decision on powering their boat? So far they sound like a biased OPINION.
Apparently you were not at Catalina ski race this year where an individual named "Tony Adams" placed second overall and his boat had Arneson Surface Drives and his motors make well more than 750.
You're right, I was not there this year. So how on Earth could I know anything about this boat? The only boat in the Catalina race with the Bravo/Arneson conversion. Maybe you should do some research and find out how much time and money went into that boat building shields (multiple attempts) so they were able to pull a skiier much less see him after they were on plane.
How much power did his engines make? I know, do you? Are you sure "well more"?:notam: :notam:
You really should READ all my posts. Unlike you, I do not put down drive systems with no real knowledge about them. I point out advantages of each.
If you get a boat, put an Arneson on it, then go pull a wakeborder or take the kids out on the tubes. It will be a blast.
Every drive has plus sides as well as drawbacks.

Boatlesss
11-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Your grasp of the English language in the following quotes for one.
An ASD8 is $28,000.00 (the only accurate thing you've said). But it is FAR from complete. It is ONLY the drive unit with external trim and steering cylinders. No trans, driveline, bellhousing, drive plate, steering helm and hoses, etc. Not minor details.
Have a nice day! :idea:
Exactly, I stated that the cost of the Arneson is as you repeated to be. Where did I lead you a-stray?
I cannot see your blurred point of inaccuracy?
I did not include the price of the inside the boat parts are they are not included and I did not infer they were included.
Lets see: A BAM 1350 transmission: $ 3,428 (list)
Drive Plate: $350.00
Bellhousing for transmission: $100-120 (Not an Eickert bellhousing with coolers)
Internal Hoses &Fittings: $250-300
Helm Unit: $400
Total: $4,248.00 (1/2 of the helm and ½ of the hose plumbing as that is for a boat complete) + 28,000.00 = $32,248.00 per drive unit minus drive lines which are priced per application but normal driveline applications cost $1,200.00 ea. so $33,448.00 per side.
1,500 lb torque rating and a one year warranty.
How was that IMCO again?
What are you inferring to then????
The Arneson Bravo Conversion Kit has these parts in it and its cost is even less.
As for what I stated, the IMCO is not in the same league as the Mercury SSM#6 drive unit.
No mis informed information, no misleading statements.

Boatlesss
11-10-2005, 03:56 PM
I can help with this.
OGShocker beat me to the ASD8 pricing/complete in-accuracy.
Remind me???? Are you a Mercury rep? Because when ordering drives from Mercury there is a part number for the drive, and a part number for the transom assy. Period. It is not a "kit". You will also have to order the trans seperately also. As well as the steering. No, the steering cylinders on the transom assy are not the steering. Still not sure what a "spacer" is.
This little Imco? Have you seen one? Please, enlighten us as to a detailed description of the size and type of the gears and shafts.
No. I do work in the Marine industry. You continue to not answer my question of what experience do you personally have with any of these products to post your very strong judgements that could influence someones decision on powering their boat? So far they sound like a biased OPINION.
You're right, I was not there this year. So how on Earth could I know anything about this boat? The only boat in the Catalina race with the Bravo/Arneson conversion. Maybe you should do some research and find out how much time and money went into that boat building shields (multiple attempts) so they were able to pull a skiier much less see him after they were on plane.
How much power did his engines make? I know, do you? Are you sure "well more"?:notam: :notam:
You really should READ all my posts. Unlike you, I do not put down drive systems with no real knowledge about them. I point out advantages of each.
If you get a boat, put an Arneson on it, then go pull a wakeborder or take the kids out on the tubes. It will be a blast.
Every drive has plus sides as well as drawbacks.
My point about the Mercury SSM#6 drive units is that no matter how you order it, you NEED both assemblies to make a whole. So follow me here, who cares how you get the drive assembly, one part# two part# or more, you still need the assemblies in order to have a complete SSM#6 drive unit. How hard is this to understand?
The SSM#6 Transom assembly comes with TWO Stainless Steel Steering Cylinders attached to the gimbal assembly. No this is not the internal steering system, BUT I stated that in my previous post!
IMCO did not include a mechanical tie bar assembly in their pricing either so that is a mute point. BUT IMCO does make a mechanical tie bar assembly for the Mercury SSM#6 drive unit.
For a boat to function you will need the internal steering hoses. (See my previous post on cost)
Call up a high performance Mercury dealer (such as TNT, Dollar Marine, BAM) and check the pricing. If you pay list then god bless you.
The spacer in the SSM#6 is what is used to set the propeller shaft height on the boat as this is adjustable by ½” increments under the Cav plate above where the oil fill hole is.
The article in HB (Hot Boat) stated one would need a tape measure to be able to tell the difference between the IMCO 1000 and the standard Bravo they make. That says enough for me.
You made the statements about the Catalina race. I pointed out your inaccuracies. You have a problem with that then you should not have posted it in the first place.
As for what Mr. Adams did with his boat to race, that is his business not mine and if he has a problem with it then he should call up whomever he spent his $$ with and complain to them. Or are you his public speaker?
Funny your comments do not influence peoples buying decisions but mine do? I gave a fair analysis of the competition in that price range. IMCO faces strong competition in the 30+k price range from Mercury, Arneson, I forgot Weismann, Buzzi, Konrad and more. This is exactly what I have point out.
There, I backed up my statements with facts.
What I do for $$ has no effect on the facts and might have no correlation to experience with boats. Not everyone that has a boat or is into boating is in the “Marine Industry” such as yourself.
I know you are dying to know so I’ll tell you. I am a janitor at a developmentally disabled school. I sweep floors and read Mags all day.

Havasu47
11-11-2005, 09:38 AM
First you say this:
An Arneson ASD8 cost $28K complete with steering and such. Then you say this:
Whatever they say, it can't cost no where near what IMCO is wanting.Then you say this:
I did not include the price of the inside the boat parts are they are not included and I did not infer they were included.
Lets see: A BAM 1350 transmission: $ 3,428 (list)
Drive Plate: $350.00
Bellhousing for transmission: $100-120 (Not an Eickert bellhousing with coolers)
Internal Hoses &Fittings: $250-300
Helm Unit: $400
Total: $4,248.00 (1/2 of the helm and ½ of the hose plumbing as that is for a boat complete) + 28,000.00 = $32,248.00 per drive unit minus drive lines which are priced per application but normal driveline applications cost $1,200.00 ea. so $33,448.00 per side.
Accurate pricing puts them within $500.00 of each other. Not "no where near".
I only questioned the exageration and accuracy of your statements. I did not say the Imco 1000 would withstand the horsepower or torque that an ASD8 would. The Imco 1000 was NEVER COMPARED TO THE ASD8. The fair comparison would be the ASD8 to the #6. I only pointed out the advantages of it over the ASD6.
As for your suggestion to call a Mercury Marine High Performance Dealer, I am one.
I got involved in this thread to help people. My advice is with 30 years experience in the marine high performance industry. I have seen people make many, many mistakes in engine or drive choice and they either spend huge amounts of money correcting it or they just sell it and start over. Magazines are great entertainment, and sometimes educational. They very seldom give you all the pieces to the puzzle.
One other thing, I NEVER ASKED WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING. I asked what your hands on experience is with these drives. If you really are a Janitor at developmentally disabled school, I applaud you. My daughter is a teacher and I fully support any one employed in the education system at any position.
My intention was not to get into a pissing match with you.
This will be my the last response to this unless someone would like to ask a question regarding the application of ANY of these drives. AGAIN, I am a fan of ALL these drives.
To answer one of the earlier questions. The Imco as well as the "other" Bravo modified drives use the XR gears. The 1000 uses gears very similar the the #6.

Boatlesss
11-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Listen, I do not work for Mercury, Arneson, Weismann, Konrad or anyone else of importance.
For the cost, regardless of what is included, excluded or overlooked. The IMCO 1000 is not in the same strength league as the others so I feel it is greatly over priced.
Some are hyping it, and for a drive unit that for all apparent reality has not even been seen further than a picture in a magazine, I do not think it is justified until I see something on people’s boats.
I don't even think it’s better than an ASD6 as Arneson seems very conservative with their ratings and everyone is saying great things about it. Even Mr. Adams who has them on his 38’ Formula.
So time will tell. I could be completely wrong but then again the in Feb. at the Miami boat show, Mercury might have their new "Bravo" out which is rumored to be the king of kings and this will throw another curve into the market.