PDA

View Full Version : Towing a 5th wheel???

OutCole'd
10-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Do you want or need a long bed truck to tow a 5th wheel trailer? Does it matter?

riverroyal
10-26-2005, 05:00 PM
what size trailer,what kind of truck are you thinking,lets start there.My personnal thought is anything over 30ft you will want a long bed,dont have to,but that trailer will be long compared to the tow vehicle.What type trailer,toy hauler?or just basic live in?This is important because toy haulers have a bunch of hitch/bed weight to compensate for loading toys in the back.So that will make your choices from 3/4 ton to 1 ton,again your choice,I tow a 37ft weekend warrior with a F250 long bed crew cab 4x4 deisel,I did need airbags on the rear,around 500$ installed.That is because the hitch weight is around 2100pds with out toys in it,also f350 just ride bad,let me know

OutCole'd
10-26-2005, 05:12 PM
The reason I ask is I have 04 Duramax with the short bed. I'm tired of it. Mileasge is nothing special, can't get diesel at every intersection, and I only tow my boat about 1/4 mile to and from the launch ramp. Nothing a 1500 with a 5.3 could not do. And diesel is .50 more than regular. :220v:
My brother in law is looking for a new truck with the diesel and I was thinking of offing my truck to him. He wants to get a 5th wheel. I would guess about 30' toy hauler.

Jordy
10-26-2005, 05:25 PM
Shouldn't have any problem with the short bed, unless you have a tool box in it, and sometimes that's not even an issue. Back in a past life, I had a bunch of friends with short boxes that used to pull goosenecks/5th wheels. Wheelbase is everything with a big trailer though, that's why my last 3 trucks have been crew cab longbeds, not to mention I actually use my bed for quads and dirtbikes. ;)

phebus
10-26-2005, 05:53 PM
My personnal thought is anything over 30ft you will want a long bed,dont have to,but that trailer will be long compared to the tow vehicle.
Darn it, I was considering Toby's trailer, but I only have a short bed. Oh well.
J/K :D

riverroyal
10-27-2005, 09:17 AM
you will be fine,I think tobs trailer around 10 to 11k in weight,so you will be ok.If it was loaded with bikes and crap like a toy hauler then it will be a weight issue.Outcoled,youll be fine with that set up

TOBTEK
10-27-2005, 09:20 AM
NO PROBLEM WITH A SHORT BED! I used to pull my 32ft weekend warrior to Glamis all the time with my SHORTBED F250. Just have to be carefull when you do a full jack knife. It will touch the cab on EXTREME jack knife back up's. I never had a issue.

Red Eye
10-27-2005, 02:23 PM
no.

TOBTEK
10-28-2005, 07:14 AM
Do you want or need a long bed truck to tow a 5th wheel trailer? Does it matter?
SO, you want RiverRoyal and I to drop YOUR new 5th wheel in Havasu Friday? I'll even take it to a RV service center and have it all gone threw for you :)

Bobbo541
11-09-2005, 05:10 PM
can you tow a 37' 5th wheel weekend worrior with a dragboat in it using the truck outcole'd is talking about.I know my 04 gmc 1500 longbed ext.cab. cant.Maybe i could trade outcole'd trucks. Mine is lowered 2 and 4 with airbags in the back.

malibuken
11-10-2005, 08:19 AM
NO PROBLEM WITH A SHORT BED! I used to pull my 32ft weekend warrior to Glamis all the time with my SHORTBED F250. Just have to be carefull when you do a full jack knife. It will touch the cab on EXTREME jack knife back up's. I never had a issue.
I thought I have seen a sliding hitch setup for the bed so when you are doing slow manuvering you can move the trailer farther away from the cab just because of this reason.

TOBTEK
11-11-2005, 01:36 PM
I thought I have seen a sliding hitch setup for the bed so when you are doing slow manuvering you can move the trailer farther away from the cab just because of this reason.
yeah....they make that set-up. BUT you REALLY have to jack knife the trailer to have an issue. at the dez I used to have the truck and trailer at almost a 90 degree angle! you just have have to watch the rear corner of the cab...NO ISSUE!

andy01
11-11-2005, 01:53 PM
I think tobs trailer around 10 to 11k in weight
Hey Tob I'll give you a dollar a pound for you trailer.......you can even fill it half full with water......
Andy