PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Coil selection....

Hotcrusader76
03-04-2003, 08:42 AM
Could someone enlighten me on the Pros & Cons to running the higher end coils from MSD? One of my upgrades that I am performing to my 468BBC later this month is an entirely new MSD ignition.
I currently run a Mallory Comp 9000 dist, Hyfire ignition box, and coil. I have always been impressed with MSDs customer service and tech advice at the track so I wanted to replace everything with their product. I ran a probillet set-up and blaster coil on my last 460BBF-powered Tahiti jet and loved it, but I question my choice for the coil.
I am set on the Probillet dist and MSD6AL box, but there is a possibility of running a crank trigger set-up. Am I “nuking” the differences among the MSD coil types offered? Is there a better recommendation based on experience that should be considered for a coil on the crank trigger or Probillet dist? I will be running 100-150shot of NOS, tunnel ram intake, and JG jet. Please advise
BTW- I have an entire Mallory ignition system for-sale, make an offer.tdlofstrom@tpcracing.com
:D

wfodude
03-04-2003, 08:01 PM
Just watch those super hot coils some are for short duration use only. I personally use the crane ps92.It will knock your ass off and it has never given me a problem.I've used it blown carbureted on gas and injected on Alky. And yes you are 100% right MSD has awesome customer service and a great product

Jet Junk
03-04-2003, 10:00 PM
Just as wfo said, coils like MSD's pro blaster have very low internal resistance and will quickly fry if used for an extended period.

Rexone
03-04-2003, 11:12 PM
I've run the recommended MSD coils on MSD6 boxes on my ski racer in the past for hours and hours and never fried one yet. Just my .02.

Hotcrusader76
03-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Thanks fellas. I too have used the PS2 by Crane before on my Mustang when I used to drag race in the mid-west. I really liked compact size of it, the versatility in mounting, and the fact that it gave me no headaches.
I thought just the same on selection, use MSDs recommendation! Right on the money again, but I just wanted to see if someone found a performance loop-hole.
Looks like MSD wins again!

NeoBurn
03-06-2003, 07:44 PM
I purchased the following MSD ignition system 6ML-2 , Soft Touch Rev Limiter , Probillet Maring Distributor, Blaster High Vibration Coil. Anyone running this setup have any advice about a possible balast resistor. MSD manuals say you don't need one with this set up.
Also did I over do it on the 6ML-2 vs 6AL-2 ignition box?

DogHouse
03-06-2003, 07:56 PM
If I were starting over from scratch, I'd go straight to a distributorless, multi-coil system like the one from Electromotive (http://www.electromotive-inc.com/products/hpx.html). Perfect timing, easy tunability, lots of spark energy at any rpm, hard to beat! If you're interested, HeavyHitter here on the boards is a dealer and can set you up.
-brian