PDA

View Full Version : NOS manifold plumbing

Cs19
10-26-2005, 08:25 PM
where do you guys get your manifolds plumbed for NOS and what did you pay?

steelcomp
10-26-2005, 08:28 PM
Ohhhhh.....yo're NOT!!??? :confused: :hammer2:

GofastRacer
10-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Do it yourself and save a bundle!.. :D :D

UBFJ #454
10-26-2005, 08:52 PM
The plumbing is one thing ... That's easy if you use the right components.
Your motor's internals are another ... Are they up to the Shot you want to put to them?
Questions ... Call me.

Cs19
10-26-2005, 09:18 PM
No questions Bear, we wouldnt be considering NOS if the engine wasnt ready for it. Its got good parts in it.
Im going to have it done I think, I'd rather have someone who does it everyday take care of it for me. Got a quote from a guy who used to work for NOS to drill/tap and plumb for $250.
I've ruled out going with Wilson, they are outrgeous with their prices and take too long.

Squirtin Thunder
10-26-2005, 09:20 PM
Is this for Firebird ???

Cs19
10-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Ohhhhh.....yo're NOT!!??? :confused: :hammer2:
manifold comes off tomorrow morning.

BUSBY
10-26-2005, 09:23 PM
Summit, $9.95 :D
I have some nice benders and a nice 37* flaring tool if ya wanna use them. ACE Stainnless is the place to get the hardline. It's fun, you should do it yourself.
Here's your man Chris ^^^

Cs19
10-26-2005, 09:23 PM
Ive never hardlined anything before, maybe ill give it a shot. :notam:

Squirtin Thunder
10-26-2005, 09:24 PM
Brian too late to call ???

Cs19
10-26-2005, 09:27 PM
there is a chance ill go over ST.

Cs19
10-26-2005, 09:27 PM
SD, post some pics of your work.

Squirtin Thunder
10-26-2005, 09:28 PM
there is a chance ill go over ST.
If you do be sure to let me know, I would like to go down and help out.

cyclone
10-26-2005, 10:19 PM
if you call tizzod, he'll tell you that he's got a toolbox with two fabulous tubing benders and cutters in the 3rd drawer from the bottom in the right hand side of the red toolbox at the back of his garage. feel free to use them. stainless is pretty easy to work with in the diameter and wall thickness that you'll be using. ;)

victorfb
10-26-2005, 11:12 PM
simple as hell, scary stuff. put an 871 blower on top and run it. :cool:

TRG
10-27-2005, 02:13 AM
if you call tizzod, he'll tell you that he's got a toolbox with two fabulous tubing benders and cutters in the 3rd drawer from the bottom in the right hand side of the red toolbox at the back of his garage. feel free to use them. stainless is pretty easy to work with in the diameter and wall thickness that you'll be using. ;)
Speaking of that there good ol' buddy, need to get the x-mas shitz down from the rafters, and need a place to stack the boxes, could really use the room! ;)
Todd
P.S. come on down chris, his tools are your tools! :D

Cs19
10-27-2005, 07:14 AM
Very nice Dave!!! and yeah if cyclone showed up with something like that Id shit, but Jessa wears the pants so I know thats not gonna happen. LOL.Besides, Jessa and Shannon went shopping togethor yesterday, and from what i heard Jessa put the hurt to the checkbook. NO 1471 for Cyclone.LOL
Still looking for contact info for someone who does top notch professional plumbing in the area. I still may do it myself,DNE has got a guy as well.. we'll see, time might be an issue here.

BUSBY
10-27-2005, 07:36 AM
So you won't give Chris a price Dave?
You know ... good guy pricing? Hot Boat discount? :D

BUSBY
10-27-2005, 07:40 AM
I'll help you at no charge to you. That's us doing it together, not just dropping it off.
As Jeff Foxworthy would say Chris, "There's your sign" ...

BUSBY
10-27-2005, 07:44 AM
If you don't want to do it yourself ... I think Lenord will do it ... 714-526-7930 ... but Dave's offer is better ... plus you learn how to do it right ... I think your answer is staring you in the face ...

obnoxious001
10-27-2005, 08:52 AM
Here's a super sano plumbing job on an engine I built. GT Performance did the bending and plumbing for me, then I took all the lines to the polisher, along with the the rest of all the engine parts. Note the solenoids are hidden under the Hogan intake, extra work, but sure makes for a nice install.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/1318_x_10_black_background.jpg

cyclone
10-27-2005, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=cs19]Very nice Dave!!! and yeah if cyclone showed up with something like that Id shit, but Jessa wears the pants so I know thats not gonna happen. LOL.Besides, Jessa and Shannon went shopping togethor yesterday, and from what i heard Jessa put the hurt to the checkbook. NO 1471 for Cyclone.LOL
that's not what i heard when jessa came home from shopping last night. :jawdrop:

BUSBY
10-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Here's a super sano plumbing job on an engine I built. GT Performance did the bending and plumbing for me, then I took all the lines to the polisher, along with the the rest of all the engine parts. Note the solenoids are hidden under the Hogan intake, extra work, but sure makes for a nice install.
NICE

BUSBY
10-27-2005, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=cs19]Very nice Dave!!! and yeah if cyclone showed up with something like that Id shit, but Jessa wears the pants so I know thats not gonna happen. LOL.Besides, Jessa and Shannon went shopping togethor yesterday, and from what i heard Jessa put the hurt to the checkbook. NO 1471 for Cyclone.LOL
that's not what i heard when jessa came home from shopping last night. :jawdrop:
She figured what you didn't know wouldn't hurt you ... you didn't want that new blower anyways, did you? :boxed:

cyclone
10-27-2005, 10:23 AM
She figured what you didn't know wouldn't hurt you ... you didn't want that new blower anyways, did you? :boxed:
its inevitable. march is a long ways off. :hammerhea
if we can build a motor in two days then....

BUSBY
10-27-2005, 10:30 AM
its inevitable. march is a long ways off. :hammerhea
if we can build a motor in two days then....
then who know's what great things could happen ... remember ... I'm not racing next season, starting the big build in March ... so, I'll have an aweful lot of time this winter ... :idea:

Taylorman
10-27-2005, 06:00 PM
then who know's what great things could happen ... remember ... I'm not racing next season, starting the big build in March ... so, I'll have an aweful lot of time this winter ... :idea:
Define big build.

Cs19
10-27-2005, 07:17 PM
Thanks guys, Ill look into all my options here.
The whole thing is a little overwhelming at this point. I need to take a step back and look at what the best way to go about this is. I have lots of re-rigging to do.. Its going on for sure, I yanked everything off today, just need to think everything over for a few days before I take the plunge.
I havent posted posted pics of the stuff I've been doing lately, Im going to post pics this time.

steelcomp
10-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Did you consider starting off with a plate system first to get the hang of it? Lot simpler, and good bang for the buck.

Red Rocket
10-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Chris I have had wilsons do a couple of port systems for me recently, and were very reasonable price wise. Not much more than NOS. You have seen the stuff Dave has done, much higher quality.

superdave013
10-27-2005, 07:38 PM
red rocket, I would hope so. I did that one about 10 years ago. I'm sure even then it was not even close. but hey, at least I did it.

Cs19
10-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Mike, I really like the Wilson stuff too. Id like to use their parts but stay away from their labor.We will see what happens.
Steelcomp, Im running shear plates and wedges under the carbs which make the plate system complicated.Besides, If I end up wanting to run a big shot Ill be all set up for that.

Red Rocket
10-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Thats not not what I was saying Iwas talking about the current stuff dave at DNE has been doing. I was not talking about your stuff.

steelcomp
10-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Mike, I really like the Wilson stuff too. Id like to use their parts but stay away from their labor.We will see what happens.
Steelcomp, Im running shear plates and wedges under the carbs which make the plate system complicated.Besides, If I end up wanting to run a big shot Ill be all set up for that.
Yeah, forgot about that. Nozzles are the only way to go, just a big step. I've bent a LOT f stainless, too, and just be sure to order extra, if you're going to do it yourself. The learning curve will be steep to start, but it's easy, once you get the hang. You're meticulous enough, I think you'd do a good job, and you have no shortage of help! Too many cooks, though....you know. :D

superdave013
10-27-2005, 07:48 PM
gee, that makes me feel better. lol The stuff I see Dave do is always top shelf.
I know wilson's stuff is bad ass. Post up some pics of the ones you had done please. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to see.

Red Rocket
10-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Steel I have plumbed a couple of port systems in the past, very time consuming and for the price they are doing it for I can't spend the time to do it myself

steelcomp
10-27-2005, 08:43 PM
red rocket, I would hope so. I did that one about 10 years ago. I'm sure even then it was not even close. but hey, at least I did it.Nice work, Dave. (two thumbs up) :D I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you at Ming. We'll definately have to hook up next year. :D

BUSBY
10-27-2005, 08:55 PM
Nice work, Dave. (two thumbs up) :D I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you at Ming. We'll definately have to hook up next year. :D
Scott ... I think you were there when Dave was in my pits ... maybe I am wrong ... but they (MikeF & Super) were there and you were ... I thought you were all around at the same time???
Maybe not ... MikeF & Super were on bikes ... ring a bell???
Chris ... I'd go with Super ... you'd learn a lot ... just my .02 ...

BUSBY
10-27-2005, 08:56 PM
Define big build.
Brad Anderson engine by Norm Grimes & a capsule ... goin' for that 200+ thing!
:D

Jordy
10-27-2005, 09:48 PM
That's way too pretty to put in a boat and run. Something like that should be in a living room under glass. :D :D :D

steelcomp
10-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Scott ... I think you were there when Dave was in my pits ... maybe I am wrong ... but they (MikeF & Super) were there and you were ... I thought you were all around at the same time???
Maybe not ... MikeF & Super were on bikes ... ring a bell???
Chris ... I'd go with Super ... you'd learn a lot ... just my .02 ...
Could be, Brian, I wouldn't know. Never met either of them in person, so I wouldn't be able to recognise. I do remember some guys on bikes. Oh well....next time! :D

superdave013
10-28-2005, 06:09 AM
Could be, Brian, I wouldn't know. Never met either of them in person, so I wouldn't be able to recognise. I do remember some guys on bikes. Oh well....next time! :D
You boob, I intorduced myself to you last year at ming. You had your boat in the staging area and someone (ST) was smacking a screwdriver handle in the jet boat in front of yours to fix the missing drain plug.
But then again, I didn't notice you standing in Busby's pit either. :rolleyes:

Cs19
10-28-2005, 07:45 AM
Thats not not what I was saying Iwas talking about the current stuff dave at DNE has been doing. I was not talking about your stuff.
Mike, I understand what your saying.Yes its nice stuff..Daves helping me through all this crap, Im sorta unfamiliar with NOS right now, but im learning alot everyday.. :D

Cs19
10-28-2005, 07:58 AM
who can tell which kit this is? need as much info on it as possible..what will it take to adapt it to a tunnel ram, how big of a shot can it provide?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/662nos_pics_001-med.jpg

BUSBY
10-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Hey it looks like someone is doing something to someone else's old boat in this pic ... he should prolly start his own thread about what's up there! :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/662nos_pics_001-med.jpg

Cs19
10-28-2005, 08:25 AM
thats todds boat in the pic, cyclone's was the opposite colors.
how about that kit in the pic...
after looking at my jegs, it looks like a sportsman fogger? or is it the pro race fogger? or the pro shot fogger.
LOL

BUSBY
10-28-2005, 08:42 AM
My bad ... I was wondering why he would be sanding it down ...
after looking at my jegs, it looks like a sportsman fogger? or is it the pro race fogger? or the pro shot fogger.
You got me ... if it was an injection hat and blower ... I could help you out ... :hammerhea

Unchained
10-28-2005, 08:56 AM
While you're gathering up info consider nitrous consumption.
A kit like in the picture will empty a 10# bottle in around a minute.
Around here it costs about $ 45 to fill a 10# bottle as well as the time to bring it to and from the local "NOSS" filling station.
Then calculate how many bottles a year you will drain.
That was always my biggest deterrent to nitrous.
The cost keeps adding up and the residual value remains 0.
When I did run nitrous many years ago a kid at the boat launch looked at the bottle and said,
"Wow man, Your running noxious" :rolleyes:

obnoxious001
10-28-2005, 09:24 AM
That's way too pretty to put in a boat and run. Something like that should be in a living room under glass. :D :D :D
Funny, I had a guy who used to say that about the turbo engine in my ski race boat. I told him if he wanted to buy it, he could make a coffee table out of it.
This engine will eventually go into a 56 Nomad, when the owner gets around to building the car. We will get some dyno figures on it at that point also, but it has been sitting covered up in his shop a couple of years now already, too busy with other projects to get to this one yet.

565edge
10-28-2005, 03:45 PM
LOL
It looks like the pro-race fogger.It has the high flow distribution blocks and the larger solenoids.Chris dont worry about getting bottles filled up.We have a nitrous filling station with the digital wiegh station.We have plenty of bottles if you need some at the track.That system should work on t-ram set-up.The ports are in the same location.....You have the right fuel system for it.I run a big product engineering pump in my car.It goes to a magnaflow fuel log with 2 magnaflow regulators.1 for the motor and the other for the nitrous.make sure you have a purge.Youll need to flow the fuel solenoid to know what pressure you actually have.We have the kit to do this.Its amazing when you dial in the hit to know exatly what your making instead of guessing.I spray anywhere from 160 to 200 hp on my little 438" small block.It depends on where my fuel pressure is.I have Plenty of hook ups on this nos crap...let me know if you need help.A single stage fogger is easy to bend up.It when you start putting on 2 stages and finding a spot for all your solenoids it gets tricky.Good luck

Nucking futs
10-28-2005, 06:02 PM
if it was an injection hat and blower ... I could help you out ... :hammerhea
What if it had a tunnel ram in place of the blower? :D
http://i3.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/39/cd/ac_1.JPG

Cs19
10-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks 565, good info there. Anyone else have any thoughts on what kit that might be?
Unchained, its not a big deal if i drain the bottles every minute. Its for racing not the lake.

77charger
10-28-2005, 09:01 PM
They came plummed already just remove the plug

Cs19
10-28-2005, 09:26 PM
So the pro shot and sportsman systems dont have the distribution blocks, correct?

Cs19
10-28-2005, 09:27 PM
77charger, thanks for the reply, that helps me out alot. :wink:

BUSBY
10-28-2005, 11:08 PM
What if it had a tunnel ram in place of the blower? :D
http://i3.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/39/cd/ac_1.JPG
No prob ... I love injection ... would be 10 times easier than carbs IMO ... but it's not fair to ask me about that ... I've dedicated my life to injection since 1987 ... I hate carbs ... love injection ... :D

565edge
10-29-2005, 07:41 AM
Chris yess all foggers have distribution blocks.The ones in that kit are the high flow ones. Get the part numbers off the solenoids and go here.Find out what solenoids you have.That will tell you how much you can spray....http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=17161

565edge
10-29-2005, 07:44 AM
After you figure out what solenoids you have check and see what kit has those solenoids.Once you figure that out go here and buy the nitrous flow kit.It will help you....http://www.koehlerinjection.com/Koehler/NMproducts/nitrous_master_products.htm

Cs19
11-06-2005, 07:30 PM
update..
got the manifold down at nitrous supply in HB,ca. they are installing the sportsman fogger for me at a reasonable price in a huge rush deal. They do really sano installs down there if anyone ever needs anything, i highly reccomend them.They have their sh*t togethor. nitroussupply.com
Got a NOS timer that will monitor how long the NOS stays on to keep everything consistant for bracket racing.
Added another Aeromotive fuel pump dedicated to the NOS system only.
Picked up an MSD digital retard box to pull some timing out of it when the solenoids are open.
Got all the wiring,relays and retard stuff installed, got a few small bugs to work out and we should be ready to rock after I mount the bottle, plumb everything, some minor engine maintence, re-install the manifold and drop the motor in.
Cant wait to get on that button.. :D
Is anyone running a digital multi retard box? PN 8975..I cant seem to get the L.E.D. light to come on, I dont have the engine installed yet, but when I fire the box up, nothing seems to happen... :confused:

smalls
11-07-2005, 08:40 AM
I had a simular problem with the retard box. Don't forget a hobs switch (Low fuel psi cut off switch)... Start on the rich side and the take fuel away....

Cs19
11-07-2005, 11:05 PM
The MSD tech guy claims the led light should come on briefly when you power up the box.
At this point, I really dont need more problems. If anyone has the same box, can you please let me know how your LED light reacts when you put power to it.
Thanks.

Sangster
12-19-2005, 07:01 AM
CS19..I'm sure you got the NOS up & running by now.. Here's a pics of our setup..Very simple but effective.... Sorry for the blurry pics... :cool: :cool: :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/118nos1_1.jpg

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
12-20-2005, 01:48 PM
I had mine plumbed so long ago that i'm sure they still do it the same way. Marvin Miller 1975 under the manifold too where you can't see it.

Cs19
12-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks, yes Ive had mine done for a while now.This isnt a purpose built nitrous engine so I went with a smaller kit.Next engine will be a different story though. :)
Thanks.
Pic.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/409IMGP0513.JPG
2nd fuel pump for the squeeze, I know, I know the old holley regulator is crappy looking, it was a last minute thing for f'bird.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/409IMGP0515.JPG
Ive got my fuel system set up now so that I only need to pull my side tanks and switch one fuel line (the one you see coming off the fuel cell with a zip tie around it) to switch from river to race set up, it used to be a big job. :)

wsuwrhr
12-20-2005, 10:37 PM
I know, I know the old holley regulator is crappy looking, it was a last minute thing for f'bird.
:)
I make a cool billet top to replace the cast holley top.
Insignificant part really, but it still is cool.
Brian

wsuwrhr
12-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Additionally, I didn't knock it off anything. Other than measuring the BP of the regulator.
It is my own design.
Brian

Carnivalride
12-21-2005, 04:34 AM
Thanks, yes Ive had mine done for a while now.This isnt a purpose built nitrous engine so I went with a smaller kit.Next engine will be a different story though. :)
Thanks.
Pic.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/409IMGP0513.JPG
2nd fuel pump for the squeeze, I know, I know the old holley regulator is crappy looking, it was a last minute thing for f'bird.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/409IMGP0515.JPG
Ive got my fuel system set up now so that I only need to pull my side tanks and switch one fuel line (the one you see coming off the fuel cell with a zip tie around it) to switch from river to race set up, it used to be a big job. :)
Nice looking engine there cs19. :cool: :cool:

Taylorman
12-21-2005, 07:26 AM
Is that black fuel cell for engine and nitrous? Nice motor. What kind of heads are those?

Sangster
12-21-2005, 07:39 AM
Looks like it feeds both ...

Cs19
12-21-2005, 09:37 AM
The cell feeds both in race trim. In lake trim it pulls off the side tanks to feed the carbs and the cell for nos.

Bobbo541
12-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Hey Chris how did the NOS work for you.

Taylorman
12-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Your running pump gas?