PDA

View Full Version : Performance Truck Exhaust

RiverOtter
10-27-2005, 03:13 AM
I have an 02 Z71 Burb (5.3L :( ) and want to install a cat back system. What's the best brand. I don't mind if the thing rumbles at idle but not crusing down the at 85 mph. Gibson, Flowmaster, Borla, Magnaflow??? I figured you West Coast guys would have the most experience with the aftermarket stuff.

Waist Deep
10-27-2005, 03:51 AM
I just picked up my diesel system from
www.jegs.com and their prices were the best. Good sound too. Plus free shipping.

pjones
10-27-2005, 05:45 AM
Got my Flowmaster from Summit. Really pleased w/ it.
Nice throaty sound but not annoying at highway speeds...
Will do it again on next vehicle...

a catered life
10-27-2005, 05:53 AM
have not done mine yet but my buddies flowmasters sound great yea it a litle loud at higher speeds but he just cranks up the stero

MagicMtnDan
10-27-2005, 05:58 AM
Flowmaster is good but if it's a name brand product (like Gibson and Magnaflow) it's probably all good. Borla is very good but they tend to be very spendy. Just stay away from a local shop's own welded up thing.

RiverOtter
10-27-2005, 06:12 AM
Anybody heard Gibson or Magnaflow. Are they loud?

dicudmore
10-27-2005, 06:28 AM
RO see PM...

76ANTHONY
10-27-2005, 06:31 AM
MAGNAFLOW IS NOT VERY LOUD AT ALL, SOUNDS KINDA CLEAN, sorry, nice system but not if your going for that throaty sound..

RiverOtter
10-27-2005, 06:35 AM
RO see PM...
Thanks for you'r info. I had one more question. :cool:

RiverOtter
10-27-2005, 06:36 AM
MAGNAFLOW IS NOT VERY LOUD AT ALL, SOUNDS KINDA CLEAN, sorry, nice system but not if your going for that throaty sound..
LMAO! I wanted somewhat quite. Eventhough I'm from the Nooga I didn't want Glasspaks :D

76ANTHONY
10-27-2005, 06:40 AM
LMAO! I wanted somewhat quite. Eventhough I'm from the Nooga I didn't want Glasspaks :D
my buddy put magna flow on his truck and changed it out cause it was to quiet, went with flowmaster and said he had no power difference..

goneboatin
10-27-2005, 07:23 AM
Check out Corsa - Their systems are all stainless steel and known for being quiet and loud when you want. Plus their systems come with "sweet looking tips".
Corsa Performance (http://www.corsaperf.com/trucks_suvs.htm)

Flashover
10-27-2005, 07:26 AM
I have a Magnaflow on my Chev 5.7 L and it sounds real good. not to loud but you can tell it's there... :D

prosthogod
10-27-2005, 07:28 AM
I have Magnaflow on the wifes sub and I think it sounds pretty beefy. If you are interested I have a Hypertech programer for that year motor that I'll let go cheap.

Chase
10-27-2005, 07:29 AM
I...or should I say my wife....has Flowmaster on her Yukon...sounds amazing..ok at highway speeds as well.
2 thumbs up for flowmaster.

Flashover
10-27-2005, 07:29 AM
I have Magnaflow on the wifes sub and I think it sounds pretty beefy. If you are interested I have a Hypertech programer for that year motor that I'll let go cheap.
Do you have one that will work on a 98? :idea:

soupersonic
10-27-2005, 07:31 AM
I had a 98 GMC with a flowmaster, I liked it. At the time magnaflow didnt have a 2 in 2 out option for the muffler, the shop would have had to put in a Y pipe to get a duel exhaust. True duel exhaust was with the flowmaster. Might have changed by now but maybe worth looking into. My .02

Cole Trickle
10-27-2005, 07:34 AM
My advise would be to leave the Suburban alone unless you can stand some sort of drone.
The cab on a Tahoe/Suburban makes for a horrible echo chamber when you are towing or gowing up large grades.
If you don't care about noise you will be hard pressed to beat Magnaflows price,performance and quality.Corsa is a great system but will make a pony or two less then Magnaflow and cost you a it more.I personally wouldn't put a Flowmaster on my lawnmover unless I wanted it to sound like a mustang.(Anybody that tells you a Flowmaster dosen't drone is crazy and has a different interpretation of loud than the average consumer)
Brandin
Former Magnalow Development Coordinator

Flashover
10-27-2005, 07:38 AM
you can also try a nice SLP exhaust. go to SLP (www.slpeng.com) they specialize in custom GM performance parts. lots of good stuff on that web site... :D :D

KLEPTOW
10-27-2005, 08:03 AM
Buddy of mine had a 02 dully crew big block, took off the stock muffler that thing sounded bad ass at idle, purrrrred like a kitten at fwy speeds.
Save your self a lot of money, any muffler shop can do this for you at little or no cost.

RiverOtter
10-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Aren't they a 1 time use item?

RiverOtter
10-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Buddy of mine had a 02 dully crew big block, took off the stock muffler that thing sounded bad ass at idle, purrrrred like a kitten at fwy speeds.
Save your self a lot of money, any muffler shop can do this for you at little or no cost.
I was just gonna buy the muffler and let a local shop bend the pipes. They have some kind of special bendy thing that doesn ripple the pipes when it bends them :cool:

RiverOtter
10-27-2005, 08:13 AM
My advise would be to leave the Suburban alone unless you can stand some sort of drone.
The cab on a Tahoe/Suburban makes for a horrible echo chamber when you are towing or gowing up large grades.
If you don't care about noise you will be hard pressed to beat Magnaflows price,performance and quality.Corsa is a great system but will make a pony or two less then Magnaflow and cost you a it more.I personally wouldn't put a Flowmaster on my lawnmover unless I wanted it to sound like a mustang.(Anybody that tells you a Flowmaster dosen't drone is crazy and has a different interpretation of loud than the average consumer)
Brandin
Former Magnalow Development Coordinator
:idea: Hmmm.... Flowmaster on the Snapper :idea:

76ANTHONY
10-27-2005, 08:14 AM
I was just gonna buy the muffler and let a local shop bend the pipes. They have some kind of special bendy thing that doesn ripple the pipes when it bends them :cool:
mandrel or mandral bender, lmao :D

HocusPocus
10-27-2005, 08:15 AM
instead of buying a "cat back system" find a good exhaust shop to have the work done, it will cost you less and you will end up with the same thing. plus some of the places i have used in the past will tack in different mufflers and let you choose which you want.

RiverOtter
10-27-2005, 08:15 AM
mandrel or mandral bender, lmao :D
Yup... That's it :smile:

Just Tool'n
10-27-2005, 08:18 AM
I have a Flowmaster on my 2000 chevy van, with a 5.7L, at cruise of 55-69MPH, the thing drones really bad, when you getter up past 70-75 it goes away.
It just allways made me drive faster to get out of the zone, plus I get there quicker.
OH buy the way, any one looking to buy a 12 passenger 2000 chevy van.
I let it go to a HB member for $7000, 128K miles.

Froggystyle
10-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Shawn Gibson is here on the forums, and is a good guy making great exhaust. That being said, I have been working with Bassani exhaust exclusively for several years now (since before I met Shawn) and gotten nothing but absolutely top quality (not the cheapest) exhaust from them. All stainless, great tone and power. The difference I got from adding the headers back to tips on the Corvette was VERY noticeable. I have the Bassani 4" system on the truck and love it as well. Big fan here.
So much so they are doing all of the stainless exhaust on the boat. All of the downtubes and mufflers etc...
I recommend them highly.

voodoomedman
10-27-2005, 08:23 AM
I have an 02 with a 4.8 in it. If it works and he's not interested in the programmer I might be.

goneboatin
10-27-2005, 08:37 AM
You can't compare the sound of mufflers on the 5.7 (350) engines in GM trucks to the 5.3 and 6.0. The new LS1 design changed the firing order which gives the engines that droning at cruise.
I was at the Off Road show at Pomona and asked the Magnaflow guy what they had for a Chevy 6.0 that was quiet at cruise and sounded healthy at start-up and full throttle. He told me to keep it stock if I don't want don't want to hear it a cruise.
Just a little food for thought. :idea:

RiverOtter
10-27-2005, 08:43 AM
You can't compare the sound of mufflers on the 5.7 (350) engines in GM trucks to the 5.3 and 6.0. The new LS1 design changed the firing order which gives the engines that droning at cruise.
I was at the Off Road show at Pomona and asked the Magnaflow guy what they had for a Chevy 6.0 that was quiet at cruise and sounded healthy at start-up and full throttle. He told me to keep it stock if I don't want don't want to hear it a cruise.
Just a little food for thought. :idea:
I have the 5.3

prosthogod
10-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Aren't they a 1 time use item?
No, when you deprogram from 1 car you can reprogram another. I've had these on all my subs for yrs and they are well worth it for gas milaege and performance.

Phat Daddy
10-27-2005, 08:53 AM
RO, I have had a flowmaster on my previous Sub and it was pretty loud. I did'nt care for that at all. I now have a Yukon XL w/ the 5.3 and I went with the Banks exhaust system. I ran their headers with full exhaust and I love it. It is so quiet, people don't believe I have headers. The power increase was my main goal and I'am very happy with the gains. Banks mainly deals in diesel upgrades but a friend of mine turned me onto this system. Check it out.

prosthogod
10-27-2005, 08:53 AM
Any of the name brand kits work well and are easy to install in ~ 30 minute with an air rachet and sawsall.