PDA

View Full Version : Right prop?

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
05-12-2006, 05:40 AM
:mad: 28 foot Warlock deck boat. Anyone else with a 28 foot deck boat. WHAT SIZE PROP DO YOU HAVE ? I've been fighting this problem for too long. I borrowed a 22 pitch Bravo 1. It got the boat up to 5100 rpm,still need 300 more rpm's, and it was lazy getting on plane. I have a Hydromotive P-5 25 pitch that will only take the boat to 4100 rpm. I can return the Hydromotive for a different one, once I figure out which one is right. As I said before the X dimension is too low, but that is a major fix. I looked into buying a shorty. (BIG BUCKS). Any thoughts
Jim

phebus
05-12-2006, 06:25 AM
You could get that 22 labbed, and get the rpm you want, but rather than throw it out to this forum for answers, I would call a quality prop shop, and tell them what I was running, and get their professional advice.
Just because someone else has good results with a particular prop doesn't mean it will work good for you. Motor, boat load, elevation, temp, etc. plays a big part, and someone else's results may not apply to you.

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
05-12-2006, 07:06 AM
You could get that 22 labbed, and get the rpm you want, but rather than throw it out to this forum for answers, I would call a quality prop shop, and tell them what I was running, and get their professional advice.
Just because someone else has good results with a particular prop doesn't mean it will work good for you. Motor, boat load, elevation, temp, etc. plays a big part, and someone else's results may not apply to you.
phebus, I've talked to so called experts, and have a differant answer from each one. I did submit a e-mail to Bam & Mercury with the details, but haven't herd back from them yet. I thought maybe someone had a 5000 lb deck boat that could give me a clue. Thanks Jim

dicudmore
05-12-2006, 07:14 AM
a little more info like what you have in the boat for power might help us offer guidance :wink:

dicudmore
05-12-2006, 07:16 AM
if you're not getting the RPM with a 22 then perhaps you need to step down 1 more size :idea:

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
05-12-2006, 07:33 AM
a little more info like what you have in the boat for power might help us offer guidance :wink:
HP 500 modified to 550 hp. XZ drive 1.50.

phebus
05-12-2006, 07:37 AM
If you can return the Hydromotive, and exchange it for another, I would call Throttle Up, and talk to Julie. My bet is, that given all the info, she could get you propped pretty close to right on.

phebus
05-12-2006, 07:38 AM
What elevation is LOTO at? I would think a 28 deck with 550hp could turn bigger than a 22" prop.

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
05-12-2006, 08:11 AM
What elevation is LOTO at? I would think a 28 deck with 550hp could turn bigger than a 22" prop.
Elevation is 660. I agree bigger then 22, The drive came with a 28 Bravo, but had a hard time getting the boat on plan. I had to steer it back and forth to get some air or it would pull the motor down so bad it would make all kinds of funny noises, (back fire through the carb) Went to a 26, a little better. Now I'm at a 22. One expert said go with a 23 Mirage plus. :) :)

phebus
05-12-2006, 08:33 AM
I would have a mechanic check your engine before getting a new prop. Something just doesn't sound right to me.

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
05-12-2006, 08:49 AM
If you can return the Hydromotive, and exchange it for another, I would call Throttle Up, and talk to Julie. My bet is, that given all the info, she could get you propped pretty close to right on.
I just talked to Throttle up, They comfirmed what I said about the X Dim. being too low. He said I'm waisting my time until I get the X dim right. What I need is a 2 or 3 inch shorty. Then I would be able to go back to the 28 or 26. Thanks for your help. Jim
PS: if you know anyone with a shorty, tell them I'm looking. (Hello IMCO or MAX)

phebus
05-12-2006, 09:07 AM
X dimension or not, the fact that the boat was running a 28p prop (and I can't beleive it was propped that far off before), and now can't pull a 22p prop, would make me beleive that something else is wrong.

Blacksheep
05-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Labbing doesn't guarantee you will gain rpm. I'm currently in the process of dialing in my 27 Shadow. It came with a 26" Bravo 1 last year and I was shy about 500 rpm from where it needed to be. I got it labbed and actually lost both speed and rpm. I have since dropped down to a 24". I am now closer in rpm, still short about 400, but atleast my speed went up a little. This boat is a rocket out of the hole with the 24".
Labbing is not an exact science. ***boat or Powerboat had an article on about a year ago and stated the same thing. Sometimes I think it would be easier to get the prop guys to the lake and get 'er done on the spot.
Never had this much trouble dialing in an O/B!

sigepmock
05-12-2006, 10:14 AM
X dimension or not, the fact that the boat was running a 28p prop (and I can't beleive it was propped that far off before), and now can't pull a 22p prop, would make me beleive that something else is wrong.
I'm no expert but I agree something doesn't sound right.....our little 21 Stealth was running a 22 with the 6.2L. I know most with a boat in the 27-28 foot range and 525 are running 26's or 28's.

FASTERDAMITT
05-12-2006, 10:34 AM
You should be able to pull a 26. Sounds like tou have valve train or timing problems.

phebus
05-12-2006, 10:36 AM
And, from what I understand, a higher X dimension is good for top end speed, but a lower X dimension is better for hole shot and getting on plane. It sounds like you are fighting both. I would still look at a power issue.

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
05-13-2006, 05:12 AM
And, from what I understand, a higher X dimension is good for top end speed, but a lower X dimension is better for hole shot and getting on plane. It sounds like you are fighting both. I would still look at a power issue.
The boat came with a Bravo 3 which likes the low X dim. and it poped the boat up quick, with no bow lift, with a 454 Mag motor and ran the boat at 60 mph.
I did a leak down, and compresson check, the timing is right (36).
In the Gear section I asked about the circulating pump, and have no answer as yet. What is the purpose? I'm taking mine off and installing a crossover. Am I asking for other problems. If so what are they. thanks Jim