PDA

View Full Version : 455 to 454 change

Garett
10-27-2005, 02:45 PM
how much work is needed to do this besides manifolds , are mounts the same ? motor and to the jet? , i have a line on a 454 , thinkin of changin

Taylorman
10-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Ive got motor mounts and drive line i'll sell for a 454. Also have some Bassett twisty headers.

Garett
10-27-2005, 03:42 PM
id need through hull headers , is that all the stuff id need tho pretty much , and whats a fair price for it,

JAY4SPEED
10-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Ive got motor mounts and drive line i'll sell for a 454. Also have some Bassett twisty headers.
Got pics of those twisty headers? Water injected? Good condition? How much?
Jay

SmokinLowriderSS
10-27-2005, 05:01 PM
how much work is needed to do this besides manifolds , are mounts the same ? motor and to the jet? , i have a line on a 454 , thinkin of changin
I THINK the engine mounts MAY be the same since both are GM blocks. If I am way off here tho, someone correct me please. Depends on what type of drive mounting you have too. I am not sure about the bellhousing bolt pattern from Chevy to Olds, I think it is different. You may need to do a bit of adapting to mount the alternator but that shouldn't be too tough, or expensive (unless you want some of those NICE billet items I have seen here & there. :wink: ). You may or may not need a throttle cable mount (another easy one).
Personally (sorry Olds-loyal die-hards :argue: ), I'd do the conversion. Sounds to me like a good "winter project".

Outlaw
10-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Sorry Smokin low, chevy is diff than olds...
best way is to find old junker with mounts and ect. and swap out what you need.. sell the rest on ebay...

Taylorman
10-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Got pics of those twisty headers? Water injected? Good condition? How much?
Jay
I'll have to get some pics. They are in good shape, very little rust between the pipes, water injected. 400 plus shipping. Include baffles, t valve ,gaskets, bolts, water lines.

Sleek-Jet
10-28-2005, 06:11 AM
I THINK the engine mounts MAY be the same since both are GM blocks. If I am way off here tho, someone correct me please. Depends on what type of drive mounting you have too. I am not sure about the bellhousing bolt pattern from Chevy to Olds, I think it is different. You may need to do a bit of adapting to mount the alternator but that shouldn't be too tough, or expensive (unless you want some of those NICE billet items I have seen here & there. :wink: ). You may or may not need a throttle cable mount (another easy one).
Personally (sorry Olds-loyal die-hards :argue: ), I'd do the conversion. Sounds to me like a good "winter project".
Like outlaw said, Olds is different.
Your best bet would be to put a rail system in to mount the motor. It looks trick and makes pull/stabing the motor alot easier. There's been quite a few threads on the subject, do a quick search and you'll find a ton of info.
Depending on what kind of boating you will do, and if you are trying to do this on the cheap, I'd suggest just staying with the Olds and investing a little money in fixing the weak points of the engine.

JAY4SPEED
10-28-2005, 02:37 PM
I'll have to get some pics. They are in good shape, very little rust between the pipes, water injected. 400 plus shipping. Include baffles, t valve ,gaskets, bolts, water lines.
Sounds good to me. Seems that I read Garett cannot use them? I didn't want to hijack the deal from him if he can since he posted first. But I'm interested. Shipping wouldn't be that much from you to me, I live just outside of New Orleans in Metairie and you live right up I-10. Shoot me some pics if you get the chance. I may just come and get them instead of shipping. Let me know!
Jay

Taylorman
10-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Heres a few pictures of the headers. They are not good pictures. The guy i bought them from welded these braces on them that bolt to the heads. They are coated in wd40, thats why they are full of smuges. The chrome is in good shape and looks good for used headers. Obviously not like new, however, there is very little rust on them and they are in decent shape.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/161100_0363.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/161100_0364.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/161100_0365.JPG

JAY4SPEED
10-28-2005, 11:47 PM
Think I'm going to have to pass on those Taylorman, they're a little rougher than what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to take the pics and all, sorry if I put you through too much trouble. Out of curiosity, why would they need a support and why is it only on one header?
Jay

Taylorman
10-29-2005, 09:54 AM
I need to take some better pictures of them .They are coated with wd40 and look bad. That picture was in my attic last night. Im gonna take some better pics of them if anyone else is interested.