PDA

View Full Version : Hard start

Buckwheat
09-28-2003, 03:37 PM
1993 Fountain twin 502 EFI's. Both engines start easy when cold but one starts hard after up to operating temp. Runs fine after started. No smoke after starting so I dont think it's flooded. Acts more like it's lean. Anyone have any ideas.
Thanks.

Kindsvater Flat
09-28-2003, 05:18 PM
low fuel pressure, tps, blah blah blah and the list goes on. Could be as simple as a bad ground.

Dr. Eagle
09-28-2003, 05:19 PM
Hows the fuel filter look?

1979tarva
09-29-2003, 07:54 PM
is your hard start like a slow crank? or something else it could be as simple as the starter heat soaking and not working well or a bad battery.

Buckwheat
09-30-2003, 04:09 PM
Engine cranking speed is normal. I think maybe fuel pressure is not holding while engine is turned off. Although they both started quickly when cold. I may have to take it to a dealer so they can hook up to the computer to check sensor inputs. I just bought the boat and havent gotten it home yet so havent had time to check anything out myself. I do know it has new fuel filters. We have Tech II's at work to check the computer system on cars and trucks but I doubt it will interface to the computer on the Merc/Chevy 502.
Anyway thanks to all for any input.

Kindsvater Flat
09-30-2003, 04:24 PM
Buckwheat:
Engine cranking speed is normal. I think maybe fuel pressure is not holding while engine is turned off. Although they both started quickly when cold. I may have to take it to a dealer so they can hook up to the computer to check sensor inputs. I just bought the boat and havent gotten it home yet so havent had time to check anything out myself. I do know it has new fuel filters. We have Tech II's at work to check the computer system on cars and trucks but I doubt it will interface to the computer on the Merc/Chevy 502.
Anyway thanks to all for any input. I'm sure its not OBDII compliant but there has to be a simple way to connect. I wonder if the snappy scanner with the early multi connector wound connect to it. I would start by checking fuel pressure. Check both static and cranking. I had a GM tuck fall within spec for static but cranking it would fall way below spec.