PDA

View Full Version : Torn ACL Dammit!!!

Supultlbich
10-28-2005, 08:09 AM
Thats right folks, I am officialy on the shelf for the next five to six months, sugery next week to repair the my ACL in my right knee. Doctor says about six months before I can go back to work, but able to walk in about 6-8 weeks.
Hey Phebus, got any extra oxycontin??? :)

OGShocker
10-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Thats right folks, I am officialy on the shelf for the next five to six months, sugery next week to repair the my ACL in my right knee. Doctor says about six months before I can go back to work, but able to walk in about 6-8 weeks.
HOLY SHITE!!! :(
Hope you feel better soon!

JetBoatRich
10-28-2005, 08:11 AM
at least it is almost winter time :sqeyes:

uclahater
10-28-2005, 08:13 AM
I was back to work in 2 weeks after mine!!!! :idea: Its not a very fun surgery :cry: but if you work your ass off in rehab you'll do much better in the long run :idea:
Good Luck

Mardonzi
10-28-2005, 08:13 AM
I would be talking to another doc about that procedure....
I've blown my ACL out twice on the right knee. First time it was repaired, it was the crutches deal for 4-6 weeks,, no weight bearing like you are describing. 2nd, up and walking the same day. Assisted weight bearing with crutches for 2-3 weeks then off of them. Total recover in 3-4 months with an autograft. Now if you are going cadaver or kevlar replacement, that could be different.

1stepcloser
10-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Welcome to the club!
I tore my ACL, as well as my medial and meniscus August of '03. Had surgery in December '03 Doc said the same thing, off work for 6 to 8 weeks.
I went back to work after 3 days. :) Of course I had a full leg brace on, but was at work none the less.
Took two months for the brace to come off completely, another 3 months of therapy, lots of exercise and bacak on the bike after 5 months.
Knee feels a little loose nowadays, but I wear a brace to ride and make sure to keep the knees active!
Good luck on the Surgery, and stay active.

76ANTHONY
10-28-2005, 08:35 AM
my buddy got his done and was up and about after 3 moths, but he did go to havi with us after two weeks,oops

scarabrick2
10-28-2005, 08:36 AM
Go to a different DOC. Replaced my acl ,fixed torn medicious, layed up for a week,did rehab,went to work 10 days later with brace. took brace off 1 week later but wore a small brace for a month or 2. Feels great and when they replaced my ACL they used an achillies tendion from a cadaver and now I have a super strong right knee.

totenhosen
10-28-2005, 08:42 AM
I've had three knee surgeries and one ACL replacement. Are you having the replacement come from your patellar region or calve? Or are you having one taken from a cadeavor. Are you an extremely active person? It might make more sense to have it taken from the calve or cadeavor as recovery time is generally quicker. However the Gold standard as doctors like to say is having it taken from the patellar. There are a whole slew of positive and negatives from each one. Your doctor should go over them and have you make the decision. For isntance with teh cadevor your chance of infection/rejection of the ligament is much greater it is also weaker.
My first two doctors were not up to snuff on current procedures. Third guy was a team doctor for many of the Cal Univ. sports teams.
I was limping w/o crutches day of the surgery. I was hooked up to the ROM machine right away as well. Very important for breaking up scar tissue etc. First few days I starting doing muscle flexing and stretching as much as possible. After a week I was in therapy. 1 month in I was riding the bicycle again. About 8 months I started playing basketball again. (I was cleared sooner but did not feel comfortable yet.)
- make sure you get your doc to sign you up for a temporary handicap pass. You'll need it more than likely.
- Take you time but also be serious about the rehab.
- Here is a good forum that helped me out.
http://factotem.org/cgi-bin/kneebbs.pl
Any questions let me know!

NOTALENT
10-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Tore my acl in my shoulder and was out about 9 months until rehabilitation...now its 11months and im back to my full strength...Plan to exceed where I was back then...today.. :D
Sorry to hear that...hope it all goes good.

phebus
10-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Talk to Greg, and get the catastrophic leave started right away. As a firefighter, and the hoops you have to jump through to get back to work, plan on being off the time the doctor is predicting, and if you can get back sooner great.

prosthogod
10-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Patela tendon graft is strongest, I was back to work in 5 days on crutches. Rehab 5 months, and back to riding and skiiing.

phebus
10-28-2005, 12:17 PM
So, anyway, how did you do it?

LaveyOne
10-28-2005, 12:29 PM
I've had two knee surgeries. First I tore my ACL playing rugby (Go P.V.R.F.C. !!!), had total reconstruction with three screws holding my knee together. Second was MCL that had to be scoped, also rugby. Strange thing is when I had to get an MRI for the second surgery, the magnetic resonance caused an intense pain from pulling on the screws! At least, that's what the tech. said. All I know is that IT SUCKED !!!

Ziggy
10-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Ripped my ACl in 1979 and never had it fixed...procedures were barbaric back in those days so I gave up my soccer future. ACL is still bad now but I can ski, or or do most anything with caution and a brace.
To do the surgery for me now would be a major task because of all the wear I've inflicted to it. I figure I'll die before it gets to the point where I can't walk :D
Good luck to you on your surgery. :smile:

Supultlbich
10-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Talk to Greg, and get the catastrophic leave started right away. As a firefighter, and the hoops you have to jump through to get back to work, plan on being off the time the doctor is predicting, and if you can get back sooner great.
Greg is taking care of that as we speak. I have the long term disability plan through IAFF and they will pay 85% tax free after all of my SL and VAC hours are used up, in my case this will be December 1st. Glad I signed up for that. Guys have been great so far with trades, but you know how it is with the brothers, no questions asked.
Did it playing softball, stopping at 2nd base and drug my cleat in the dirt.

phebus
10-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Greg is taking care of that as we speak. I have the long term disability plan through IAFF and they will pay 85% tax free after all of my SL and VAC hours are used up, in my case this will be December 1st. Glad I signed up for that. Guys have been great so far with trades, but you know how it is with the brothers, no questions asked.
Did it playing softball, stopping at 2nd base and drug my cleat in the dirt.
Try to go the catastrophic leave route, followed by a second round of more catastrophic leave (you can request it again, if you run out of time before you can return to work).
When you go on the long term disability, all your accruals for sick, vacation, and seniority stop, and your health care will be through cobra, costing you money.
Let me know when the c.l. forms come out, I will stop by the station and donate time.
Rick

Supultlbich
10-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Try to go the catastrophic leave route, followed by a second round of more catastrophic leave (you can request it again, if you run out of time before you can return to work).
When you go on the long term disability, all your accruals for sick, vacation, and seniority stop, and your health care will be through cobra, costing you money.
Let me know when the c.l. forms come out, I will stop by the station and donate time.
Rick
didnt know that, Have never been in this situation before. When you file for catastrofic leave do you generaly get enough time? Seems like six months worth of time might be a bit hard to come by.

a catered life
10-28-2005, 04:39 PM
i thought you were calling me :confused:

SoCalHD
10-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Sorry to hear about the injury-I'm in the same boat as you. I finished off what I started 7 years ago playing basketball 3 weeks ago..... I am having complete reconstruction this coming Tuesday the 1st of Nov. I tore the ACL, MCL, and Meniscus. My Ortho does a lot with athletes, so he understood my telling him that I am an extremely active person, and needed to be up and at um as soon as possible. He is telling me I'll be back to work in about 6 weeks. I predict that I'll have at least 1 Glamis trip under my belt before the year is over!!!!! Its all about the mindset/attitude!!!!! :D