PDA

View Full Version : I want a gun

a catered life
10-28-2005, 04:51 PM
i want a gun :eek: ...i have always had some type of gun for the house and when i moved it was stolen by the movers i hired (not the legit movers the kind you pickup on the labor corner) i want something to take to the range with a nice kick. since there are so many makers whats some of the good makers......this may be my x-mas gift to my self so any suggestions would be helpful

YeLLowBoaT
10-28-2005, 04:54 PM
what do you want to do with it???

a catered life
10-28-2005, 04:56 PM
fix the california budget problem :wink: just go the range in my free time practice and good home protection

Desert Rat
10-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Willie I bet you want the gun so you can go fishing in that new fish tank of yours..... :D

Mohave Vice
10-28-2005, 05:13 PM
I have a few handguns. Really depends on your particular type of shooting. There's a lot of very good "wheel" guns and autos. I have both. My favorite is H&K .40 cal USP. It's perfect for me and goes everywhere I go. Good luck with your search. There's alot of Gunners and LE on the board, that I'm sure will give you some pointers.

PUMPkin
10-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Try the 357 Mag. Nice kick but the best of all, It's two guns in one. 357 and a 38 special. the 38 rounds will cost less if you want to plink alot. 44 Mag for a big kick but you can allso shoot 44 special's in it for the lesser cost and recoil.
Steve

Froggystyle
10-28-2005, 05:21 PM
I have a few handguns. Really depends on your particular type of shooting. There's a lot of very good "wheel" guns and autos. I have both. My favorite is H&K .40 cal USP. It's perfect for me and goes everywhere I go. Good luck with your search. There's alot of Gunners and LE on the board, that I'm sure will give you some pointers.
I have the .45 USP as well. I don't think you can go wrong. I don't know of a lot of tactical shooters that stray too far from H&K or Glock. I personally don't like the trigger on a Glock, as it is too difficult to remove all of your trigger slack during instinctive fire and room entry, but I do like their safety mechanisms (proper use...) ;)
You will probably get a lot of good advice though. I shoot H&K...

Powerquestboy
10-28-2005, 05:21 PM
I just bought a Glock 23 which is the .40 Its a great gun and a very resonable price. I love the HK .40 but they are considerably more expensive.

YeLLowBoaT
10-28-2005, 05:30 PM
If I was going to go the automatic route ( other then 1911) I would personally go with a sig. H & K and glock are nice but they are built for that euro shooting style that I do not like. .40 s & w is a great all around round.

JETEATER
10-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Just paid for a Baby Desert Eagle
Now I have to wait the 10 days. :confused:

Heatseeker
10-28-2005, 05:41 PM
I have a Sig 226. It's an awesome piece. It's a smooth shooter, has great accuracy and will digest any cartridges I run through it without jams. The only drawback is that, being that it holds 15 rounds, the grip is a little big for my hand. It is a little big for concealed carry too. I have a couple of other pieces that are more suitable for that.
I'd like to score myself a .357 someday too. My collection of wheel guns is limited to a couple of .22 mag Ruger long barrels.
What caliber Baby Desert Eagle did you buy?

mike37
10-28-2005, 05:50 PM
I like some info on the Ruger P90 or P97
I know ruger is not considered top of the line but all my ruger rifles have been great

NOCTURNAL
10-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Springfield Armory XD pistols (9mm, .40S&W, .357 SIG).
It is a tremendous value and an awesome performer.
www.springfield-armory.com

SoCal_fun
10-28-2005, 06:18 PM
Willie, go with the Glock .40 cal. I have had the 9mm for along time and want to upgrade one of these days. It's hard to beat a Glock for reliability and ease of maintenence plus value for the money.
I also have a Mossberg 12 gauge Pistol grip for home protection for the big boys. :sqeyes:
when you get yours, we need to go to the range together. I haven't been in a while, it would be fun.

GAME TIME
10-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Springfield Armory XD all the way. I had the .40 and now have the 9mm. Going to get the .45 cal soon.

KineticoH20
10-28-2005, 06:48 PM
Just paid for a Baby Desert Eagle
Now I have to wait the 10 days. :confused:
I also own the desert eagle in 40 cal great handgun with exelent balance.

Boatcop
10-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Glock 22 chambered for .40 cal
Can't go wrong.

76ANTHONY
10-28-2005, 07:44 PM
i dont know but i'd talk to djunkie, that dudes strapped, hes got an arsenal of weapons that he keeps pointing at me. pm him, or he should be on lunch soon..

JetBoatRich
10-28-2005, 07:54 PM
seen this posted
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1768gun_Small_.jpg

Boatcop
10-28-2005, 07:55 PM
seen this posted
I like it:
JUST DO IT!

76ANTHONY
10-28-2005, 07:57 PM
see i told you, i think hes gonna go postal :D

Mardonzi
10-28-2005, 08:20 PM
If you aren't looking for a home defense handgun,, just something to take to the range and plink that has a "nice kick", try a T/C Contender,, maybe in the 45-70 or 375 H&H barrel... lots of kick,, lots of noise,, puts big holes in things, and you can interchange the barrels if you get bored with one.

KACHINA KEN
10-28-2005, 08:24 PM
I know ruger is not considered top of the line but all my ruger rifles have been great
I have a P 89, it's a little heavy but there is a 50/50 chance I will beat someone with my pistol before I would shoot em anyhow.

hack job
10-28-2005, 08:33 PM
i have a ruger p94 and its a nice gun!.40

OGShocker
10-28-2005, 08:40 PM
I have the .45 USP as well. I don't think you can go wrong. I don't know of a lot of tactical shooters that stray too far from H&K or Glock. I personally don't like the trigger on a Glock, as it is too difficult to remove all of your trigger slack during instinctive fire and room entry, but I do like their safety mechanisms (proper use...) ;)
You will probably get a lot of good advice though. I shoot H&K...
I don't know how you guys (SEALS) ever shot the SOCOM .45. I am a fairly descent shooter and that thing drives me crazy trying to ping the 10 ring.
I LOVE my H&K (SP89)!, but my Colt 1911 pops the 10 ring everytime.
My .02 :D

Outnumbered
10-28-2005, 08:44 PM
I've got a P89 9mm in my collection. I have ran at least a 1000 rounds thru it and never had a misfeed. I use the Russian (Wolf) stuff most of the time but have ran some quality hollow points thru it without incident. A great gun for the money and you can get hi-caps for em still. 15+1

76ANTHONY
10-28-2005, 08:49 PM
cant you just buy some used clymore mines cheap?? good home protection ya know, everything is just a click away :D

77charger
10-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Dont know a alot about them but from what i use to know good gun for the money aint going to win an accuracy contest with an hk,glock,colt but will get the job done.people i know that have them have no real complaints function fine shoot good.
I have a mini14 and a 10/22 both good guns never any probs the mini i think i can throw sand in it and it wont miss a beat firing actually one of my favorite guns to shoot.But in long range accuracy wont stand a chance to my ar15

77charger
10-28-2005, 08:57 PM
but my Colt 1911 pops the 10 ring everytime.
Mine too :D

HCS
10-28-2005, 09:02 PM
For the house. Model 19.
For the house. Sawed off.
For the wife. 38 special.

djunkie
10-28-2005, 09:11 PM
seen this posted
Nice. I like my revolver. Its a .357 but I keep it loaded with some nice .38's for home protection.(Don't want to shoot thru the wall and kill my neighbor........or maybe I do.) :crossx:

djunkie
10-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Seroiusly though if you want something for home protection and too go out and shoot, I'd recomend going to a range and test different kinds. Find the one you like and practice, practice, practice with it. Thats why I use my .357 for home protection instead of any of my autos. Its easy to grab, easy to operate, and if I can't hit someone with 6 shots then I deserve to be shot. :rollside:

Boy Named Sue
10-29-2005, 12:20 AM
Anybody that would leave a gun for the tweaker movers to transport dont deserve the right to own another one.
~ Suey
guns are like your women and kids, dont trust others with them.

djunkie
10-29-2005, 01:23 AM
Anybody that would leave a gun for the tweaker movers to transport dont deserve the right to own another one.
~ Suey
Thanks for the advise but did I miss something? :confused:

dregsz
10-29-2005, 02:15 AM
I don't shoot much but I think I'll get a gun for the house again soon, not for home invasion protection as such. I just read a book on Rwanda massacres, neighbor turning on neighbor and I think I'm getting paranoind.
I like the 1911 and I tested a springfield .45 I really liked.
I like the way they fit in my hand and the Glocks feel kind of wierd. I don't like em.
They say a pump shotgun is best for home protection so maybe an 870 with a short barrel and the plug removed below.
I'm not a gun snob, I like what I like.
Still kicking myself for selling my stainless mini 14.

Red Horse
10-29-2005, 02:52 AM
No matter how "accurate" a weapon is, the operator must know how to effectivly use it. What ever you get, practice with it. All pistols have little quirks. Practice with yours and learn how it shoots. A .22 is deadly in the right hands.
Me, I have a Taurus PT 59s in .380 and a Mossberg 835 Ultimag with a ported barrel.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7936New_Mexico_Thanksgiving_04_020.jpg

Red Horse
10-29-2005, 02:55 AM
Of course a 203 will work as well!!!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7936Lake_and_203_040.jpg

mike37
10-29-2005, 06:15 AM
I've got a P89 9mm in my collection. I have ran at least a 1000 rounds thru it and never had a misfeed. I use the Russian (Wolf) stuff most of the time but have ran some quality hollow points thru it without incident. A great gun for the money and you can get hi-caps for em still. 15+1
Dont know a alot about them but from what i use to know good gun for the money aint going to win an accuracy contest with an hk,glock,colt but will get the job done.people i know that have them have no real complaints function fine shoot good.
thanks guys thats what I'm looking for

MagicMtnDan
10-29-2005, 06:28 AM
I was told there's a gun in this picture :confused:
http://www.berettaweb.com/Gallery/0014.gif

76ANTHONY
10-29-2005, 06:41 AM
Seroiusly though if you want something for home protection and too go out and shoot, I'd recomend going to a range and test different kinds. Find the one you like and practice, practice, practice with it. Thats why I use my .357 for home protection instead of any of my autos. Its easy to grab, easy to operate, and if I can't hit someone with 6 shots then I deserve to be shot. :rollside:
i hope you miss :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :D

76ANTHONY
10-29-2005, 06:42 AM
Of course a 203 will work as well!!!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7936Lake_and_203_040.jpg
OH HELL YEAH, m203 baby, you aint missin sh&t with this bad boy :devil: :D :D

STV_Keith
10-29-2005, 07:32 AM
No matter how "accurate" a weapon is, the operator must know how to effectivly use it.
Personally, I carry a Glock 27, subcompact .40S&W. I also have the Glock 22, which is the full size .40S&W. The G27 comes with a 9-rnd mag. The G22 (15 rounds) and G23 (13 rounds) mags will fit in the G27 though, just stick out the bottom. This is what I carry as a backup mag.
After having been a 1911 guy since I was young, I took a class at Front Sight (http://www.frontsight.com) to become more proficient. I quickly learned why the Glock was superior in that arena, sold my 1911's and promptly bought a few Glocks. :) Never looked back.
Funny, what I quoted from Red Horse...Front Sight's motto is "Any gun will do, if you will do."
Anyway, go to a gun range that rents pistols and pick up everything they have. Find the one(s) that are comfortable in your hand, and rent and shoot them. Pick the winner and buy it. A great gun in the hands of someone who is not comfortable with it is no good.
Also, do a search...this topic has been covered before. :)

fat rat
10-29-2005, 08:42 AM
This is gonna be my next home protection unit. Check them out at serbu.com
http://serbu.com/SS20-s.jpg

Froggystyle
10-29-2005, 08:48 AM
I don't know how you guys (SEALS) ever shot the SOCOM .45. I am a fairly descent shooter and that thing drives me crazy trying to ping the 10 ring.
I LOVE my H&K (SP89)!, but my Colt 1911 pops the 10 ring everytime.
Ahhhh... you mean the plasma cannon. Yeah, a little unwieldy.
Funny story about that pistol, bureaucracy and reality...
H&K built the SEAL teams the MP-5N model, N standing for Navy. It had some different hardware to go with the double rolling locking block mechanism, some different coatings for corrosion resistance, a slightly different configuration for penetrating through doors with body armor on and a different tac sling system for use over body armor and to sling to go to secondary. It worked great. So much so that the Navy in it's infinite wisdom decided that in order to do our failure drills properly, the secondary (pistol) needed to have a similar accuracy as the MP5. So, they decided to commission H&K to build a gun to their specs.
Here was the laundry list of things you can't put in one gun, but they wanted...
50 yard accuracy
Forward rail system
12 round mag capacity (one in the pipe)
.45 caliber for knockdown (you are on your secondary, you need to have it hit hard at this point)
Tritium night sights
Minimum trigger pull weight of 7 pounds, with pronounced break point
De-cocking lever
Thumb safety
Safety on left side (right handed shooters only basically)
Rated for "+P" rounds with 10,000 round lifespan.
Corrosion resistant frame
Suppressor integrated
No barrel-push disconnect (easiest trick in the book for disabling a guy with a .45 Colt BTW...)
etc... etc... etc...
Well to achieve that they have a 6+ inch barrel with a threaded tip for suppressor, a giant mag capacity for the .45 which means a giant grip. The whole thing is very heavy, and the de-cocking lever will tear skin off your thumb after about 500 rounds. Additionally, the holster for it is the size of a ski boot. With the SOPMOD kit on it (visible laser, surefire and suppressor) it is literally 5 pound or something. They developed this weapon, and took it to the committee with real reservations about it's fieldworthiness, but it fulfilled all of the requirements. The good idea club bought it, and they went into production.
Then, they brought the first units to us, and asked for input. We said, well, the whole thing is too big, the safety sucks and needs to be ambidextrous, the decocking lever is miserable, the threaded cap off the end of the barrel is nice, the trigger break is awesome, but the pull is too hard etc...
So, they took our advice which we thought was going into a Mod 2 version of the SOCOM plasma cannon and instead we kept the SOCOM MK23 whatever and they took the advice and built the USP literally weeks later.
So, we all bought the USP (Ultimate Sidearm Pistol) and carried those instead. I did anyway...
So now you know...

cdog
10-29-2005, 09:20 AM
I love my Para 45. I don't even shoot my glock 17 anymore. It's too much fun to shoot the big boy. Here's a link. I'm not sure if you can get them in Cali yet. If I were to have one hand gun it would be a 45. BUY A SAFE!
http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=27

28Prowler525
10-29-2005, 09:46 AM
You hire street corner workers to move you :confused:
You hire uninsured people to move you :confused:
Lucky someone didn't break their neck and sue you :eek:
You leave a gun accessible to these workers :hammerhea
Maybe you shouldn't buy another gun

SoCal_fun
10-30-2005, 12:17 AM
~ Suey
Hey suey.... your kind of a dick arent you!!

SoCal_fun
10-30-2005, 12:22 AM
Maybe you should f! off!!

Boy Named Sue
11-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Hey suey.... your kind of a dick arent you!!
Absolutely! But I'm not a stupid prick! That kind I'm not. I'm sure you mean well but that doesn't make you any smarter! I stand by my original statement.
Best of luck to you and your foolish naive attitude.
~ Suey

SoCal_fun
11-05-2005, 03:37 AM
I've been a gun owner for 20 years, trained in the military. What are your credentials asshole?
ACL, never said he left a loaded gun laying around and it got stolen, he said it was taken by the movers. How would you know what the circumstances were, other than that. Maybe it was in a locked gun safe and was stolen. Why don't you keep your uninformed opinions to yourself.

SummitKarl
11-05-2005, 06:51 AM
i want a gun :eek: ...i have always had some type of gun for the house and when i moved it was stolen by the movers i hired (not the legit movers the kind you pickup on the labor corner) i want something to take to the range with a nice kick. since there are so many makers whats some of the good makers......this may be my x-mas gift to my self so any suggestions would be helpful
Gun
2 parts Iron
3 parts cold rolled steel
heat to 2400 deg or untill red hot
pour in gun mold allow to cool
garnish with plastic
ready to serve :)

a catered life
11-05-2005, 07:13 AM
to everyone with positive comments thank you very much the thread has really helped me out a lot
to my buddy socal thanks for having my back buddy guess i will have to take you with me when i start shopping
and for mr smartass fyi i hired a group that was recommended to me by someone else they took the whole dam lock box including some jewerly......they broke in to my storage unit on the night of the move...but i guess your the reason that old saying will always be around.........opinions are like assholes everybody has one.... while i am disappointed by your stupid comment i must remind my self that assholes are born every day so i guess it your birthday ass :squiggle: HAPPY BIRTHDAY and less more :yuk:

BajaMike
11-05-2005, 10:46 AM
I like my H&K P-7, not made any more....
http://www.hk-usa.com/images/media/productimages/p7m8.jpg
A little info.....from thier web-site....
"Limited Availability – No Longer in Production
The extremely compact HK P7M8 can be drawn, cocked, and fired accurately, faster than any other pistol. With an overall length and width close to many .380 pocket pistols, the full-power 9mm P7M8 has a full-length four-inch barrel enclosed in its low profile steel slide.
The unique HK cocking lever allows the P7M8 to be carried safely with a round in the chamber, yet it is ready to fire by the intentional squeezing of the fingers around the grip. Releasing the cocking lever decocks the P7M8 immediately and renders it completely safe.
The P7M8 gas system retards the movement of the recoiling slide during firing and eliminates the need for a conventional locking mechanism or heavy slide. The low profile slide contributes to the balanced center of gravity and compact size of the P7M8.
Made of high-grade steel, the low profile slide keeps the recoiling mass as small as possible. Combined with the optimal grip angle of 110°, the result is a compact, accurate, and low recoil pistol well suited to civilian and law enforcement users."