PDA

View Full Version : chopper bike help...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-28-2005, 09:40 PM
I know some of you guys are into choppers. I am looking for a decent priced rolling chassis. I am looking to build one. I am not trying to build a 80k bike, just something nice for a first bike. I like the look of the "prostreet" style so if anyone has a web link to someone that has a good deal on rolling chassis please let me know.I would prefer something with a gas tank,wheels, and trees. Oh and I dont need paint. I have a pinstripper and a painter;)
Thanks Michael

Kindsvater Flat
10-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Pick up an issue of Easy Rider... There is an index of rolling chassis's in the back with pictures.

El Toro-BGA
10-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Big Bear Choppers have bitchin bikes from rolling chassis to kit bikes with everything you need. I bought the Reaper model unassembled and built it myself. It turned out nice.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Big Bear Choppers have bitchin bikes from rolling chassis to kit bikes with everything you need. I bought the Reaper model unassembled and built it myself. It turned out nice.
can you email me some pics?? How difficult was it?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-28-2005, 09:56 PM
I was just on thier site and 19,500 is alot for a unassembled bike. I can get one in town for 15k complete ready to ride away on. :jawdrop:

Jordy
10-28-2005, 10:01 PM
Where are you going to put 8 12's on a kidney beater???? :idea:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-28-2005, 10:33 PM
Where are you going to put 8 12's on a kidney beater???? :idea:
Nope, Just run drag pipesand a big a$$ big cam. That should make alot of noise :D :D Loud pipes and music saves lives :D :D

73kona455
10-29-2005, 04:18 AM
you might look here.. they seem to have alot of different options...
www.bikebuilderwarehouse.com

Waist Deep
10-29-2005, 05:03 AM
I have a guy next door that worked for HB Cycles that can help you out at a reasonable price. PM your contact info if you want him to call ya.

9er
10-29-2005, 06:45 AM
There's a ton of guys out there that'll sell you a kit. There's a ton of junk out there as well. Check out some of the chopper forums and get some good references, maybe someone near you. Guys that are listed as a manufacturer (I think) will ease the registration process. It's one of the biggest hurdles you'll face if you're paperwork isn't straight. You're frame needs an MSO and you'll need paper on the motor & tranny. Without it, you're in for a headache.

al cole'holic
10-29-2005, 08:11 AM
I'd be happy to help you out in any way with putting a roller package together...pro-street is your style, check out our bikes on the online showroom link in my sig :rollside:

Ducatista
10-29-2005, 08:24 AM
Nope, Just run drag pipesand a big a$$ big cam. That should make alot of noise :D :D Loud pipes and music saves lives :D :D
...and loud clutches too!!! :D :D

al cole'holic
10-29-2005, 09:14 AM
...on a side note, if anyone needs anything from Performance Machine (www.performancemachine.com) let me know as they are sending a grip of stuff to me and I can get it in with the shipment. :cool:

rmylek
10-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Check out these guys there here in NorCal. A friend of mine used them when he had his bike shop.
http://www.chopperguys.com

OliverM5
10-29-2005, 10:08 AM
http://www.southern-mc.com/index2.php?url=rolling.htm
I'm getting the creeped out chassis.....great price....

Froggystyle
10-29-2005, 11:04 AM
...and loud clutches too!!! :D :D
Loud clutches save lives!
(S4R owner.... ;) )

Teabagger
10-29-2005, 11:08 AM
If this is you first bike I'd recommend a complete kit from BBC, Custom Chrome or Bikers Choice.
You will save a lot over buying it pieces at a time plus you won't be purchsing items only to find they won't work for your application.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-29-2005, 11:47 AM
This is the style I am after....
http://www.southern-mc.com/images/chassis/300R3.jpg
http://www.southern-mc.com/images/chassis/300R1.jpg

jstwkd
10-29-2005, 03:50 PM
396 check out what insuarnce will cost on a custom that you biuld..Its a whole different number than a manufactured one.I forget what the DMV calls them.....but Do the homework before you start this project

buckey79
10-29-2005, 05:05 PM
YOu should check out bigbearchoppers.com They have a pro street bike kit that looks very simalar to what your looking for. You can also get complete buid kits from them as well. And they come with high quality parts.

10-29-2005, 06:41 PM
just to check out some bikes this guy builts some nice ones he is in az
paul yaffe

jstwkd
10-30-2005, 06:45 AM
The bike will have to be registered as a special construction..Way expensive to insure.

al cole'holic
10-30-2005, 09:56 AM
The bike will have to be registered as a special construction..Way expensive to insure.
...I have told a couple of people here, let us put together your roller and finish it off completely with a manufactured vin and mso. We are manufacturers and do not build special constructions which is why we have no registration or insurance problems :D

mike37
10-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Just a question why would a bike you assemble your self be any different to register than a manufactured bike if they are built with all manufactured parts
as long as you have proof of purchase for every thing on the bike
and why would the insurance be any different

9er
10-30-2005, 12:21 PM
Just a question why would a bike you assemble your self be any different to register than a manufactured bike if they are built with all manufactured parts
as long as you have proof of purchase for every thing on the bike
and why would the insurance be any different
Special Construction. Throw the word "special" in there and it's a green light to charge more. Kinda depends on the agency though.
If it's manufactured then they assume the manufacturer has the skillz and know-how to combine the correct parts and assemble them properly. If you do it, and have so-so skillz, then who knows when the handlebars are gonna come off running you into a bus load of Nuns resulting in an explosion killing everyone.
I'm just saying.
My 2c
That alcoleholic dude seems to know what's up. Just do alot of research. Choppers are cool, always will be and a good way to pick up chicks when you're not on the boat! It's only $$$$. You'll make more.

tcook33
10-30-2005, 01:38 PM
My bike is registered "SC" and it's pocket change to insure. Dont sweat the insurance, that's the least of your worries if you build a special construction bike. Especially if you have a boat too. You'll be happy to write that check after writing a check for your boat insurance.
Next. Liberator (alcoholic) has some insane bikes. I've ridden a few of his bikes and they are probably the "tightest" bikes I've ever been on. Top notch construction for sure. When I build another one, he will be the man. :D

Wildboats
10-30-2005, 04:07 PM
http://http://www.southern-mc.com/images/chassis/300R1.jpg
I have a frame that is almost exact here at my house, I will be shooting it in a couple weeks.
you can build a cool one as low as 18k. Hard tail (bar bike) though.
this will be my second one and cost to build is 24k. easyer than one thinks to do. get your vin verified--have a friend at an auto dealer ? all dealers have to have a verifier for trade ins. in cali we go to chp for the light check very easy too, dmv will require recepts for the parts for reg and tax. this will require you to be a bit creative. all the coin you spend on the project gets added up then calcuated by dmv for reg money. you cant go in with your 100$ recept for brake pads and say yup thats it, wont fly. Insurance, shop around. Found state farm full insurance at a great price.
The hard tail had 6 offers to buy it before it was completed.

jstwkd
10-31-2005, 02:03 PM
My bike is registered "SC" and it's pocket change to insure. Dont sweat the insurance, that's the least of your worries if you build a special construction bike. Especially if you have a boat too. You'll be happy to write that check after writing a check for your boat insurance.
Next. Liberator (alcoholic) has some insane bikes. I've ridden a few of his bikes and they are probably the "tightest" bikes I've ever been on. Top notch construction for sure. When I build another one, he will be the man. :D
How long ago did you biuld it....From what I was told by a buddy who biulds frames for BMC is its very hard to insure and register a SC bike.At one time it was no big deal but california has been coming down hard on these biulders and all biulders..The bikes are actually supposed to pass a smog spec.I do not know what it is but its pretty little from what i can see.....charcoal canisters ans vented tanks etc.....I dont think they actually sniff them yet..
When I called for insurance it was 10,000 a year......Shit even on mt A.I.H. I was qouted 10,400 from progressive.Cause the word Custom was on the paper work.The best place to insuare a Motorcycle is statefarm.....They insure to the CC of the bike not the name..

Wildboats
10-31-2005, 02:20 PM
my buddy did tell me about the smog issue here in california, said he thaught it would start in jan 06.

al cole'holic
11-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Special construction bikes do require some extensive hoops to jump through for registration and insurance purposes, some by the owner in some cases and some by the builder. Insurance is a whole other issue...just as some people out there pay $5k per year to insure a cat while others pay $700, there is no formula. Those insurance companies that charge a buttload to insure a SC (although I have never heard a number like 10k :confused: ) I certainly would search a bit more. They look at a SC bike as more of a risk than a manufactured bike, whatever the criteria it doesn't matter. One of the reasons I take pride and stress the fact that our bikes are manufactured is because a lot of time, $$, and effort was put into the process to become recognized by the government as a vehicle manufacturer. With this comes the ease of registration, insurance, and the ability of financing. Banks know that they are lending money on a vehicle, recognized by the DMV as a vehicle and built by a vehicle manufacturer.
As far as smog issues, it's been talked about for years much like the 2 stroke thing. It will happen, yes but just a matter of when....besides, by the time it does come V-Twin engine manufacturers will be right there with the steps taken to ensure motors are sold with EPA equipment. No big deal, it will be done. A charcoal canister will be nothing to apply to a bike in the end. There hasn't been much talk about emissions, but like the boating world the decibel level comes into play. To that topic I say if you can hear a Harley-Davidson it's not legal so they would be very busy if they got into that issue..
Thanks for the good words tcook33 :D Like I said before, I would help anybody out in any way whether it be a completed bike or a rolling chassis. We are pretty much a dealer for every major manufacturer of parts, motors, and accessories so if you need something don't hesitate to ask. Our showroom is very close to completion and we are in the process of stocking up on retail goodies from T-shirts and apparel to parts and wheels and I will be making a Grand Opening announcement to invite everyone to the shop!! :rollside:

tcook33
11-02-2005, 09:20 PM
How long ago did you biuld it....From what I was told by a buddy who biulds frames for BMC is its very hard to insure and register a SC bike.At one time it was no big deal but california has been coming down hard on these biulders and all biulders..The bikes are actually supposed to pass a smog spec.I do not know what it is but its pretty little from what i can see.....charcoal canisters ans vented tanks etc.....I dont think they actually sniff them yet..
When I called for insurance it was 10,000 a year......Shit even on mt A.I.H. I was qouted 10,400 from progressive.Cause the word Custom was on the paper work.The best place to insuare a Motorcycle is statefarm.....They insure to the CC of the bike not the name..
My bike was built in 03. Im insured through State Farm. I insure everything I have through them. Personal and Business. So maybe that's why I pay little to nothing to insure it. I thinks its right around the $700 mark.
No problem alco. Just speakin the truth. I need to come by and check the shop out.

al cole'holic
11-02-2005, 09:33 PM
My bike was built in 03. Im insured through State Farm. I insure everything I have through them. Personal and Business. So maybe that's why I pay little to nothing to insure it. I thinks its right around the $700 mark.
No problem alco. Just speakin the truth. I need to come by and check the shop out.
...you got an electrical contractor in the pocket?? :confused:

tcook33
11-03-2005, 08:28 AM
...you got an electrical contractor in the pocket?? :confused:
For sure...

al cole'holic
11-04-2005, 03:56 PM
...a little bit away from the pro-street rigid you are looking into but I still have this bike I need to sell :D
http://members.aol.com/hevythreds/silver.jpg