PDA

View Full Version : Moore Performance

Dennis Moore
07-26-2003, 10:07 AM
OK you gear heads, I am starting a mail order business on the internet for the marine industry and would like some input. What is a marine engine product that you would like to see sold through mail order that you guys are having a hard time finding locally? Water pumps? high performance spark plugs? carb kits? water fuel separaters? Give me some ideas.
Sincerely
Dennis Moore
Moore Performance
626-357-3573

victorfb
07-26-2003, 12:26 PM
how about a dip stick tube for a 455 olds? :D oh damn, you said high performance stuff. never mind.... :p

victorfb
07-26-2003, 12:28 PM
just funnin with ya dennis. actually the mail order thing is a great idea, just keep the prices reasonable and im sure youll get alot of buisness. just because it says marine, dont jack up the cost like so many other places do.

DEL51
07-26-2003, 10:25 PM
Offer a wide variety of exhaust system products. Mufflers and noise law will be affecting us all sooner or later.

lake runner
07-27-2003, 07:16 AM
How about some stuff for the small block crowd we alwas need moore power.

burbanite
07-27-2003, 08:25 AM
DEL51:
Offer a wide variety of exhaust system products. Mufflers and noise law will be affecting us all sooner or later. Amen.....

CB
07-27-2003, 09:07 PM
Interesting idea...
I would look at the board archives for ideas. There doesn't seem to be a problem for the guy who has a ton of $$$ and wants lots of horsepower.
The more common question seems to be like this:
"I have a 260HP mercruiser and would like more power, what should I do ?" or "I have an entry level big block and would like to up grade..."
Your value as a reseller is not in the parts. Its in your expertise.
Put together a SBC "Vortec upgrade kit" include everything a person needs to bolt vortec heads on a 260 Mercruiser: manifold, heads, gaskets, hoses, and most importantly timming specs, plug gap, baseline carb recomendations etc. Have ran the package on the dyno and the water and give proven advice. "Stage" the kits by horsepower levels or dollar level. Sell an ignition kit PROVEN to add RPM to a particular package.
I would gladly pay you a few hundred bucks premium over what I could scrounge up knowing it was going to work as expected every time.
There is more $$$ to be made giving every Bayliner on the lake an extra 50 horsepower than every DCB an extra 200...
I will volunteer to install, test and document your first vortec kit....
[ July 27, 2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: CB ]

Dennis Moore
07-28-2003, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the replys, any others?
Dennis

SchellSchock
07-28-2003, 08:26 AM
SBC Marine gear reduction starters.... that the price hasn't bee jacked up to the moon. $250.00 for these is outrageous.

SchellSchock
07-28-2003, 08:27 AM
Heres another idea. What about chips for the EFI model engines....are they even available???

Dennis Moore
07-28-2003, 04:59 PM
I will let you in on a little secret that nobody wants you to know about. The new style gear reduction/permanent magnet marine starters are exactly the same as an automotive starter. They just have a little decal on them stating that they meet all marine requirements.
The old style, direct drive starters are different, don't ever replace an old style marine starter with an old style automotive starter or you will blow up your boat!

powerplay230
07-28-2003, 05:34 PM
Couple of things I have on my wish list-
Marine appropriate gauges, matched sets would be great.
Water pumps and water pump bypass kits.
Marine carb's and kits.
anything thing and everything you can buy under $100.00 that will give 10 mph more top end (OK that really was a dream).
Kit's for updating from older Mark IV engines to V's and VI's. :cool:

gnarley
07-29-2003, 07:52 AM
Dennis, how about some exhaust parts so you could pick & choose exhaust diverters for thru-hull or out the prop exhaust? It seems like the electric or air Y-diverters are way more expensive than they should be. I thought about making my own & probably could for around a hundred bucks but don't have the time & I'm not shelling out a thousand for them.
What about performance manifolds? I just don't see why they should cost so bloody much & why can't anyone put up performance testing numbers for them, and how many brands are there to choose from and what do they weigh? It sure would help seeing a baseline motor with stock exhaust & what the HP output & MPH went up to after the change. At least that way you could gauge the price for the return on investment.

Dennis Moore
07-29-2003, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.
Dennis Moore

kevnmcd
07-29-2003, 12:24 PM
How about maintenance type items....stock mercruiser replacement parts... (i.e. altenators, impellor kits (stern drive application, ofcourse), gear oil, oil filters, etc.)

HammerDown
07-29-2003, 12:26 PM
I know ya wouldnt want to...by how about some Jet Stuff idea

HP350SC
08-04-2003, 08:13 PM
How about a prop mail order service where anyone can purchase props,try them out,exchange them in undamaged condition(less shipping and restocking fee).I know when I go looking for a prop they never have exactly what I want to try. The key would be selection which would require substantial inventory though.

TX Daytona
08-06-2003, 08:47 PM
How about used parts?

dego red
08-06-2003, 09:19 PM
How bout small block ford stuff? pig_flyi

Dennis Moore
08-07-2003, 06:00 AM
I like the idea of selling SB Ford parts. The 302 and 351 are becoming very popular in high performance cars. I like the idea of developing conversion parts so a Ford guy can put a Ford engine in front of a Mercruiser drive. In fact I am working on a good high performance exhaust manifold for the Windsors and a Mercruiser/Ford bellhousing. Any other suggestions about SB Fords?
I am going with some used, reconditioned parts.
Carburetors and cast iron Big Block Oval Port Chevy intake manifolds.
Sincerely
Dennis Moore

dego red
08-07-2003, 07:58 PM
Maybe some blower set ups as well. Dennis, the 233 mercruisers were all 351's so there is already a bellhousing for it. I would love to also see a mercruiser to 460 set up. Now that would be realy cool. :D :D

bordsmnj
08-07-2003, 10:26 PM
well i no longer own a jet. but how about jet drivrive pluming kits for water cooled headers? you know-with out the home depot look. and how about some k&n spark arestors for the merc 6.2? or do they even make those yet? good luck with this thing, Dennis.