PDA

View Full Version : Performance boat school in San Fransisco

Tres
05-12-2006, 09:53 AM
looking to June 5 th 6th if interested please call 352 620-8737 or www.performanceboatschool.com :cool:

Boatcop
05-12-2006, 11:46 AM
$2,500 to take an 8 hour Boating Safety class that most States offer for free?
And 4 hours on the lake with an instructor, where you don't even get to take the controls?
What a deal. Where do I sign up? :rolleyes: :notam:

beer truck
05-12-2006, 01:22 PM
If the boat your driving is a basic runabout, then maybe a state offered course would be great, but if your operating a fast twin stepped hull, or cat then it is a worth while investment. Infact some cat owners can not get insurance without this type of class.
I guess if I given the opportuninty to learn how to drive a race car by a professional racer then that wouldn't be worth it either, because they taught me drivers ed in high school.

YeLLowBoaT
05-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Damn you don't even get to drive......
Do I get to drive the boat?
Answer: No, our liability insurance do not allow for student to drive at any time.

SoCalSouthpaw
05-12-2006, 01:44 PM
C'mon now guys. I am sure the 'Diploma' is embossed in Platinum, and that aint cheap. :rollside:

sigepmock
05-12-2006, 01:58 PM
If the boat your driving is a basic runabout, then maybe a state offered course would be great, but if your operating a fast twin stepped hull, or cat then it is a worth while investment. Infact some cat owners can not get insurance without this type of class.
I guess if I given the opportuninty to learn how to drive a race car by a professional racer then that wouldn't be worth it either, because they taught me drivers ed in high school.
I have been to a driving school taught by professionals and I did get to drive the cars.....and it still didn't cost $2500.
It sounds like a great class just with that high of a $$$ cost and no "hands on" instruction, it seems to be suited only to those really high end boaters with lots more money to waste than most of us here.
Just my opinion,
Chris

sigepmock
05-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Here's something to compare with.
Intro to Racing
1 day - $1,295
Intro to Racing combines advanced street driving skills with proven racing techniques to give students a hands-on experience like no other. A great one-day program for the race enthusiast and the ideal follow up class for Lap the Oval and Fundamental Graduates!
Features: Skid control, line techniques, accident avoidance, open track time
Vehicles: Mustang GT
Performance Driving Experience
5 hours - $500
This 5 hour course will put you through your paces! This special event includes a timed autocross in a Mustang GT, time on the Bondurant track in a Cadillac CTS, and finishing up with a ProKart Grand Prix in our 45mph Briggs and Stratton ProKarts.
Features: Timed autocross, track session, ProKart Grand Prix
Vehicles: Cadillac CTS, Mustang GT, Bondurant ProKart
http://www.bondurant.com/courses/courses.php
Like I said seems like agreat class just a little overpriced for most.
Chris

H20 Toie
05-12-2006, 02:08 PM
$2,500 to take an 8 hour Boating Safety class that most States offer for free?
And 4 hours on the lake with an instructor, where you don't even get to take the controls?
What a deal. Where do I sign up? :rolleyes: :notam:
Really what free boating saftey course is there that will teach you about running a TS or cat?

grads2112
05-12-2006, 02:55 PM
I might be interested.

KACHINA KEN
05-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Tres Martin is one the top throttlemen out there folks, their is a wealth of information to be learned in the course, it is geared primarily towards offshore type boats and not so much runabouts and such. Cat owners are getting significant discounts on their insurance after they complete the course. Tres why don't you throw out a few examples of discounts that the graduates have recieved?

Boatcop
05-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Really what free boating saftey course is there that will teach you about running a TS or cat?
What can you learn about running an TS or cat in 8 hours in a classroom? Any course has to cover navigation, legal requirements, equipment requirements, rules of the road, weather, etc. I know from first hand experience it's tough to fit those into 8 hours. Not much room for anything else.
Take a State Course, and then spend a day on the lake with a friend who has extensive boat driving experience. Even after you buy the gas and the beer (for after the boat is docked) you'll come out a whole lot further, cash and knowledge wise, then putting up $2,500 to watch someone else drive a boat for a few hours.
Any approved course will entitle you to up to 25% off your insurance premium, depending on the company
I'm not saying the performance boat course is a bad thing. I'm just saying that there's cheaper ways to get to the same level.

beer truck
05-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Yes I will agree this particular class he is teaching is geared to offshore style stepped hull boats, and high performance cats. If your not driving this style boat now then You may not get as much value from it.
Is it only for high end boaters that have a lot of money to waste? Well I guess if consider spending money on learning how to properly operate your performance boat, getting the most performance out of that boat all of which will hopefully save both lives and property a waste of money, then yes, yes it is.
High performance boating safety is the reason for these classes. It is also the reason we are buying $350. lifeline jackets that do not even have a coast guard approval, instead of those cool $8.99 orange life jackets that do have approval.
I hope there are more fools like myself who are willing to waste our hard earned money. Maybe if there was there we wouldn't be hearing of these boating accidents ever week, and our insurance premiums would't be the same price of a small import car.

H20 Toie
05-12-2006, 04:55 PM
What can you learn about running an TS or cat in 8 hours in a classroom? Any course has to cover navigation, legal requirements, equipment requirements, rules of the road, weather, etc. I know from first hand experience it's tough to fit those into 8 hours. Not much room for anything else.
Take a State Course, and then spend a day on the lake with a friend who has extensive boat driving experience. Even after you buy the gas and the beer (for after the boat is docked) you'll come out a whole lot further, cash and knowledge wise, then putting up $2,500 to watch someone else drive a boat for a few hours.
Any approved course will entitle you to up to 25% off your insurance premium, depending on the company
I'm not saying the performance boat course is a bad thing. I'm just saying that there's cheaper ways to get to the same level.
The class is not about Navagation or rules of the road or equipment requirments, It is about running at speed and what to look out for and keeping control and most important how to react before you get into trouble.
As far as i know there are not any state classes that can teach you about the handling differences of TS and Cats. I was amazed at how much i didn't know and i have been boating for 20 yrs. Is it a lot of money? of course it is but where can you get that kind of experince from someone as knowegable as Tres, sure not from any state class. I have a lot of friends that have been running offshore for years and i guarentee i learned a lot more in two days from that class than i ever did running with them.
With all the people out there that can afford to buy boats that can run 100mph+ and that do run that fast, how many do you think really know what to do if there is a problem. Just think about how many Fast Freddies their are out on the river. Just imagine if he lives long enough to get a bigger faster boat. I for one need to know what i can and cannot do with my boat and i would much rather sit in the back off a boat learning from someone than trying a manuver until i throw everyone out.
It is sad that there are not free classes we could take to get this training. It would be nice but they don't exist

Tres
05-13-2006, 05:34 AM
Tres Martin is one the top throttlemen out there folks, their is a wealth of information to be learned in the course, it is geared primarily towards offshore type boats and not so much runabouts and such. Cat owners are getting significant discounts on their insurance after they complete the course. Tres why don't you throw out a few examples of discounts that the graduates have recieved? The average Big cat guy 35-46 feet with big power is paying anywhere between 10 to 25 Grand a year for insurance. This class yeilds a average 10% + or - discount. The class has paid for itself for some people allready. We have a level 2 class mounting in 30 days for the smaller boats. Heres the Press Realease:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tres Martins Performance Boat School Expands
Following the success of the High Performance Boat School, Tres Martin has announced the addition of two new boating courses and the introduction of Brad Schoenwald to the Performance Boat School Team.
The Level One, Basic Boat Instruction Course and the Level two, Performance Boat Class have been developed in response to requests from boaters and boat dealers from around the country. The speed, handling characteristics, and complexity of recreational boats has reached a point where specific skill based instruction is required for safe operation and these new courses are designed to meet the needs of the consumer.
The Level One, Basic Boat Instruction course is a one on one indoctrination and familiarization session designed to be conducted aboard the customer’s boat upon delivery. The Level two, Performance Boat Class is an all day classroom session designed for Dealers, Manufactures, Performance Boat Clubs, and individuals looking to broaden their understanding and develop knowledge, skills, and abilities required to safely operate performance boats.
Brad Schoenwald, A U. S. Coast Guard Career Officer brings volumes of experience and boating safety history to the school. In addition to his Coast Guard experience Brad has a background in Instructional Technologies, holds a Masters License, and has logged thousands of hours of sea time aboard a variety of patrol craft including offshore performance boats.
Tres will continue to conduct the two day Level Three, High Performance Course which includes on the water demonstrations aboard the schools 36 foot Cigarette Gladiator or at the request of students aboard their boats once they have undergone a thorough inspection and sea trial.
All three courses are completely exportable in addition to being offered on site in Ocala, Fl.
For more information go online at www.performanceboatschool.com or call at 352.620.8737 or Brad Schoenwald at 954.560.9080

Tres
05-14-2006, 04:54 PM
And I am trying to get 2 more student for June.