PDA

View Full Version : Kids bikes/quads

Excessive Force
10-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Ok which of the 2(bikes or quads) did you peeps buy your kids?
anyone else here concerned bout safety. or am i overly concerned. really wanna but my kids quads but would hate for one to ruin a day on a rollover.....2 wheelers seem safer.....think im trippin! :yuk:

HocusPocus
10-30-2005, 02:02 PM
mine have quads but we always follow the mfg riding age restrictions. little kids and big quads are a bad mix.
cycles are good but for me if the kild isn't old or skilled enough to ride a bicycle without training wheels then they shouldn't be on a motorcycle. i know lots of people put training wheels on a cycle but as far as im concerned it really teaches them the wrong way to handle one.
it pretty much boils down to your comfort level on what they ride.

OGShocker
10-30-2005, 02:04 PM
Ok which of the 2(bikes or quads) did you peeps buy your kids?
anyone else here concerned bout safety. or am i overly concerned. really wanna but my kids quads but would hate for one to ruin a day on a rollover.....2 wheelers seem safer.....think im trippin! :yuk:
We have both. My seven year old son likes the quad MUCH better. I'll be selling his 50 pretty soon. He is ready for the 80.

JetBoatRich
10-30-2005, 03:42 PM
My kids have bikes :eek: Bought me son a DRZ110 at the age of 7 and my Daughter a CRF230.

WetWillie
10-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Im going to turn down the speed until they learn how to handle them.
If you can flip a quad you can flip a motorbike with training wheels IMHO.. :notam:

OGShocker
10-30-2005, 04:31 PM
My kids have bikes :eek: Bought me son a DRZ110 at the age of 7 and my Daughter a CRF230.
Are yee Irish lad? :D

myoung
10-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Start them out on a bike, they'll be able to ride anything.
Start them out on a quad, they'll still have to learn how to ride a bike when they get bored with a quad.

MBlaster
10-30-2005, 05:39 PM
I got my son a XR 50 when he was 5. I didn't want to put training wheels on it so I told him when he could straddle the bike and hold it with both feet on the ground he was good to go. Just before his 6th birthday he was big enough to ride it. I gave him 1st gear only till he was in control and could use the brakes properly. Now he can use all 3 gears and is in great control. He's been riding now for about 5 months. Kid's a natural. Wish I had started riding that young. I have no plans to get quads.

JetBoatRich
10-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Are yee Irish lad? :D
:D LOL

ryantparks
10-31-2005, 09:44 AM
Like jetboatrich I bought a klx 110 for my 8 year old and a polaris 50 quad for my 5 year old

JetBoatRich
10-31-2005, 10:35 AM
Like jetboatrich I bought a klx 110 for my 8 year old and a polaris 50 quad for my 5 year old
Have you done any upgrades on the 110?
We changed the pipe, removed airbox and re-jetted end of last year. He likes it better :wink:

doesitfloat?
10-31-2005, 12:41 PM
Here's my 4 year old son on his KTM50. He started on his PW50 a month after turning 4 with training wheels. Within a few weeks, he was cruising without training wheels. He is so short that he's atleast 3" from touching but we've worked out a system where he screams at me and I cruise ahead of him, get off my bike and catch him! It's a pain but he's so advanced that it's worth it.
He starts racing next month.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2723MX-10-16-05_first_KTM_Medium_.jpg

doesitfloat?
10-31-2005, 12:48 PM
Im going to turn down the speed until they learn how to handle them.
If you can flip a quad you can flip a motorbike with training wheels IMHO.. :notam:
True, but the quad is twice (or more) as heavy and tends to "roll" more like a ball...right onto the kid.
I like quads but bikes are safer. You'll get more little nicks and scratches on a bike but the potential for a serious neck or back injury is greater on a quad. I also believe that learning on a bike makes you more aware of your actions than learning on a quad.
I flagged some races last weekend at a local track. 18 total bike races, 2 total quad races. Bikes: 2 minor fall offs, 0 flips. Quads: 2 flips/rollovers with the quad crashing down on the rider both times.
BTW, cover him head to toe in the appropriate gear...

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-31-2005, 12:54 PM
If my kids don't ride thier bikes at Thanksgiving, we will be selling them before Christmas. The 70 has been rode exactly one time, the other is a 125, both 4 stroke.
To respond to the question, I feel it's better to get them on bikes first (providing they can ride a bicycle). They learn to respect the speed that way. Otherwise, they just go bawls out on the quad with no idea of the damage they can do.

HM
10-31-2005, 01:03 PM
Mine is riding a Yamaha 50 at 4 years old. I will put him on an XR 50 pretty soon. I just told him that the guys who are good ride bikes, and the ones that suck ride quads. :D

doesitfloat?
10-31-2005, 01:11 PM
Mine is riding a Yamaha 50 at 4 years old. I will put him on an XR 50 pretty soon. I just told him that the guys who are good ride bikes, and the ones that suck ride quads. :D
lmao. For what it's worth, most of the quad "racers" were fat slobs who looked like thay should have a tv and a case of beer strapped to their handlebars. Friggen couches on wheels... :D
But I will admit that some of the quad guys did haul ass...

HM
10-31-2005, 01:29 PM
lmao. For what it's worth, most of the quad "racers" were fat slobs who looked like thay should have a tv and a case of beer strapped to their handlebars. Friggen couches on wheels... :D
But I will admit that some of the quad guys did haul ass...
LOL...I was not only raised on dirt bikes when quad or 3 wheelers didn't exist, but my 1974 YZ 80 had all of two inches of travel in the back, and like 3-4 in the front. I learned how to ride the woops on that thing. :sqeyes: Landing on the flats was also interesting!!! I used to break spokes on the rear wheel all the time. We had to wire them together to prevent from getting flats from the broken spokes. Talk about learning to respect speed. My brother was the number 1 amatuer in desert racing on his Combat Wombat (My dad owned a Hodaka shop in Yorba Linda).
I want my kids to learn to ride bikes well as so many of my friends had trouble riding in the dunes on bikes and they bought quads or just stick to a rail. I have ridden quads a ton in the dunes, but it is just not the same. There is nothing better than being on a bike in the dunes! If my kids learn to ride the bikes well, and then choose something else...then cool. They will be outa the will, but still cool. :D

HOOTER SLED-
10-31-2005, 01:35 PM
We have both. My seven year old son likes the quad MUCH better. I'll be selling his 50 pretty soon. He is ready for the 80.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
11-06-2005, 09:11 AM
So.....
I'm looking into a couple quads for my kids also.....
My son is 7 and my daughter is 5......
I will leave them here at Havi so the kids can putt around the hood and on the vacant lots.....
What am I looking for ??
What do they cost ???
How fast are they ??
Can they be easily turned down/up ??
Are they too noisy for the hood ??
Thanks....
CJG
:coffeycup

77charger
11-06-2005, 09:50 AM
i just bought my son a suzuki lta50 yesterday.I was originally going to go with the chinese import ones for less money but with another child on the way i thought i might want one that can last a long time vs a couple years at most.I got mine for 1700 otd it is an 05 i konw the sales mgr at hahm so he was able to knock the price down more cause it was an 05.
I see these same quads going for just as much used and a couple of years old so for the same price it isnt hard to figure it out go new!
Oh on the suzukis they put a restricter in the exhaust a washer with a pinhole :cry: with this in place the bike will not run right and barely move i removed it last night and big difference.Has something to do with safety and some gvt bs dealer informed to remove it also before it can run right.

riverroyal
11-06-2005, 09:51 AM
my 5 year old has a polaris predator 50,it has a very low center of gravity,low seat height.It also has the thumb throttle set screw,its turned real low for him,I can run faster,wide open it scares me.Its a good bike,suspension works even with his light weight.My 8 year old has polaris predator 90,its fast for a kids bike,also has a set screw,but its wide open,he rides good.Both good bikes,always start,never any breakage.@ wheels are a few years off for them,once they get the throttle/braking wired and they learn the dirt/terrain better,sand,rocks,etc,,have fun,bring beer for yourself,you need it

SHAKEN Not Stirred
11-06-2005, 11:00 AM
So.....
What's the difference between the.......
Polaris Predator 50 & 90...
and....
Suzuki LTA50 & 80....
Why would I buy one over the other ???
Thanks...
CJG

77charger
11-06-2005, 11:06 AM
So.....
What's the difference between the.......
Polaris Predator 50 & 90...
and....
Suzuki LTA50 & 80....
Why would I buy one over the other ???
Thanks...
CJG
the polaris were pretty nice.their 50 was a little bigger than the suzuki but it also had electric start.I sat my sone on all the bikes the lta50 fit him the best.
The difference between the lta50 and the 80 is size the 80 is quite a bit bigger,def has more power,has electric start too.
If the polaris and suzuki 50s were the same size i'd still would have gone suzuki just for upgrades and parts avilibility.