PDA

View Full Version : TPC Carburetor spacers

Hotcrusader76
03-06-2003, 05:48 PM
Here is a sneak peak at our new spacers. They are offered in 1.5 and 2.0" sizes. Nitrous switches and 1850/Center Squirter fuel system mounting plate pictures will post once they arrive in house.
aka"Jetty468" will have one installed with his new TPC carb. Stay tuned for those pics.
http://www.tpcracing.com/news.html
http://www.tpcracing.com/product_images/spacer_450.jpg

GofastRacer
03-06-2003, 06:28 PM
Very very cool looking part!. :cool: Damn, would that look bitchin anodized purple and one of Ron's Toilets on there!, whoo, hoo!!.. eek! wink :D

76biesmeyer
03-06-2003, 06:34 PM
NICE!!! NICE!!!

78Eliminator
03-07-2003, 02:41 PM
Hotcrusader76:
Here is a sneak peak at our new spacers. They are offered in 1.5 and 2.0" sizes. Nitrous switches and 1850/Center Squirter fuel system mounting plate pictures will post once they arrive in house.
aka"Jetty468" will have one installed with his new TPC carb. Stay tuned for those pics.
http://www.tpcracing.com/product_images/spacer_450.jpg How about blower carb adapter plates. Make me one, and I will "advertise" it for you.

Schiada76
03-07-2003, 02:48 PM
Damnit Ty! Quit posting chit like that. The first thing I did when I saw that was check my bank account. HHHMMMMMM are there more funds allocated for more "Carb FuFu". How are the Dom's coming? :D

Jetty 468
03-07-2003, 03:47 PM
BradP:
Damnit Ty! Quit posting chit like that. The first thing I did when I saw that was check my bank account. HHHMMMMMM are there more funds allocated for more "Carb FuFu". How are the Dom's coming? :D Them Dom's are on the back burner till my carb come's hm :D Just kidding , Think mine will be ship Monday I hope ?? If it run's as good as it look's ( and I'm sure it will Ty wink )then I'm in good shape now !

Hotcrusader76
03-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Brad,
Your Dominators are looking great. My CAD designer "buddy" is drawing up the prints as we speak so I can document the blueprint specs on your carbs as well as all of our other completed orders. We also have a photographer coming by this Saturday to do a photoshoot on your Dom build.
Between the two Dominator carbs, Jetty468's 850DP, and a job we have from South Dakota for this drag rail-car's 830HP, I don't know which one looks better wink ...
I will tell you both this though....you won't even recognize the fact that they used to be your old carburetors, their performance output and overall image were just up-scaled :D
Stay tuned...
BTW------TPCs Crusader engine is just been pulled. No project is ever simple...Never under estimate physics... pig_flyi

Jetty 468
03-07-2003, 06:50 PM
Hotcrusader76:
Brad,
Your Dominators are looking great. My CAD designer "buddy" is drawing up the prints as we speak so I can document the blueprint specs on your carbs as well as all of our other completed orders. We also have a photographer coming by this Saturday to do a photoshoot on your Dom build.
Between the two Dominator carbs, Jetty468's 850DP, and a job we have from South Dakota for this drag rail-car's 830HP, I don't know which one looks better wink ...
I will tell you both this though....you won't even recognize the fact that they used to be your old carburetors, their performance output and overall image were just up-scaled :D
Stay tuned...
BTW------TPCs Crusader engine is just been pulled. No project is ever simple...Never under estimate physics... pig_flyi I,m getting that Homer Simpson drool , you better hurry :D

FLYTE RISK
03-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Do you make reversion ones similar to the one pictured?

Schiada76
03-07-2003, 09:26 PM
Ty, If those thing work anything like your customer care I'll be smokin this summer. :D

Hotcrusader76
03-09-2003, 08:45 PM
Thanks Brad and Kevin. I look forward to your feedback on how they ran. Stay tuned...
~Ty

Rexone
03-09-2003, 11:45 PM
Those are way cool carb spacers Ty. :)

kojac
03-10-2003, 02:28 PM
Hot crusader,
I'm sure that you posted this information previously and I probably missed it, But have you done dyno test on stock carbs and your improved carbs to get some kind of comparison of performance with different setups.
The reason I am interested is of course the same as every one else, but I once had a 468 chevy with 13-1 compression on a jetboat big roller cam,272-284 duration @050 and .785-742 lift. The boat ran 6000 rpm's B impellar with a supposedly improved dominator carb and dart single plane manifold. My machine shop guru let me try a Barry Grant reaction time 1350 cfm dominator and the jetboat picked up 400 rpms to run 6400rpm's max with no other changes. I of course went out and ordered a Barry Grant dominator and asked for the same specs but couldn't get the carb duplicated. the carb only ran the boat 6000rpm's I reborrowed the original 1350 dominator just to make sure that I wasn't fooling myself. and the boat ran 6400rpm' I tried to buy the carb but he wouldn't sell it. I know that 400rpm's equals about 100 hp and that sound like a lot but I'm in the process of building a 490cu incher 10-5 to one comp with real good
AFR heads and single plane Dart manifold. I have a couple of dominators laying around and saw some of your post and was wondering hmmm
Thanks Kojac.... :D

kojac
03-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Crusader,
By the way your stuff looks fantastic. That was the main reason I started to reply. Just got off track. Got to stop drinking in the middle of the day.
Koja, wink

Hotcrusader76
03-10-2003, 03:47 PM
Kojac,
The answer to that is no. I am doing a comparison on two different types of carbs this spring. Until our engine Dyno and facility are set-up I am inquiring upon Ed Hales services to set-up a Dyno run on my "cruiser" wink motor here in Santee. The comparison is going to include two dual 660s and two HP and old style double pumpers. I suppose that's 3 sets of carbs.
Currently all of the carbs that leave my shop are wet-flow tested on a set-up that utilizes a fuel pump and catch. This is to ensure the carbs don't leak, proper accelerator pump function and fuel float level are base set. Meanwhile I am arranging a running motor set-up to test run all carbs, large and small with changeable tops so that everyone one carbs meets my standards. Our flowbench should be online late this summer so that further research can be done on fuel atomization, booster insert modification changes, and CNC profiling on Dominators, which is the new thing now on HP Doms.
Meanwhile I continue to build top-notch high performance carbs with superior craftsmanship and unparallel attention to detail, performance, finish, and all!
Every Stage 3 carburetor delivered receives a build number, which is stored on file for the life of my company :p . This shows the customer what has been changed from baseline and helps in documenting the items that helped in the performance gain of one area or another.
This blueprint documentation is provided with a binder and media file for easy e-mail transfer. This has proved efficient for Joel Doiron, whom we sponsor for his Modified DIRT car he races back East. At times when track changes come warrant re-calibrating the metering blocks, and quick reference for his pit-crew allows speedy tuning and minimal loss of valuable time.
aka"BradP" and aka"jetty468" are the first ***boaters to see a customer copy of this material for Stage 3 builds and I am sure will be more than impressed with the amount of detail that went into their overhauls.
No bolt or screw, casting flash or orifice is left un-discovered. I could right a book on the amount of metal found dangling off a Holley carburetor, Q-jets are even worse!
If you need any advice or assistance on your build by all means give me a call.
~Ty

kojac
03-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Hotcrusader 76
Thanks for the info. I certainly will give you a call as the project gets close to ready. One other question? On my 572 chevy I have a BDS blower With two 1150's sitting on a 19 ft stealth. I have had a hard time dialing in the carbs. At first they were too lean. The carbs were sent to BDS for there boost referenceing but never performed as well as I would expected. I took them to AED a carb shop in Richmond and was told that the new HP series carbs that I had did not have big enough fuel circuits to handle the blower setup. I had the circuits enriched and it helped but at wot the exhaust run up to 1550 degrees. It was suggested that I should contemplate a boost referenced fuel pump to add more fuel pressure to carbs. The explanation was that needle and seats could not supply enough fuel to the bowls fast enough to supply the engine adequately. I am currently running 7 1/2 #'s of fuel and the boost currently is 6 #'s. On the dyno we ran 11#'s but I have only tried 6#'s to play it safe until I get it all figured out.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
thanks Kojac...

Hotcrusader76
03-11-2003, 11:34 AM
. I took them to AED a carb shop in Richmond and was told that the new HP series carbs that I had did not have big enough fuel circuits to handle the blower setup.What list number carbs do you have. If those circuits don’t work then what versions will? Unless you have a 2-circuit metering block and they recommended a 3-circuit. If this is the case then yes you would need to look into a three-circuit HP Dominator. I am currently finishing up two older style #6464 three-circuit Dominators for aka”Brad_P” blown Chevy. Despite the fact he has a smaller motor than that 572, they tend to bridge the gap better between low-end idle and the transition to the upper-end response.
. I had the circuits enriched and it helped but at wot the exhaust run up to 1550 degreesHow were these circuits enriched? Did they add air-bleed correctors to the metering blocks or did they drill out something? The reason I ask is because it looks like they increased an area of concern but it then leaned out another.
. It was suggested that I should contemplate a boost referenced fuel pump to add more fuel pressure to carbs.I agree with this statement. Most guys with blow-through set-ups also do the same.
. he explanation was that needle and seats could not supply enough fuel to the bowls fast enough to supply the engine adequately.The .110 Vitons might be limiting of your fuel supply that would warrant the use of a .120, which works great up to 750HP on a single carb. Now since you run duals the .120” Viton valves should work fine, otherwise jump up into the larger versions that can be pricey for their size.
I would definitely be on-board with going through your set-up and getting a baseline of where you’re at on these carbs. You might be better off getting some three-circuit versions which will help out your top-end since the intermediate circuit is there to cover the gap in vacuum differences.
Give me a call anytime.
~Ty

Blown 472
03-11-2003, 01:01 PM
Dont try the steel alky needle and seats, I did and they leaked like a you know what. Maybe I had the wrong floats???

Hotcrusader76
03-11-2003, 03:47 PM
The largest needle and seat available today is the .130 Viton. This valve flows great for single carb applications over 750HP and is primarly used on the circle track guys using 2-barrel Holleys.
The specs on these are as follows:
275.lbs/hr @ 7psi. min.0.025" float drop
These are the largest versions that anyone has made without going into the stainless versions for alky set-ups.
But overall I believe the .120 Vitons on the dual dominator would provide enough fuel with minimal float drop.
~Ty
[ March 11, 2003, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

kojac
03-11-2003, 05:30 PM
Hotcrusader,
Is that 275 #'s an hour per needle and seat? If it is that equates to about 550 hp per hour.
I'll get back to you with those numbers on the carb.
Thanks,Kojac... :) :)

kojac
03-11-2003, 05:41 PM
Hotcrusader,
They did both. They drilled out the circuits and set me up with adjustable air bleeds. I installed the 120 viton tips last summer in an effort to try to set up this blower combination. This improved the lean condition at part and mid throttle. At about 6500 to 6800 rpm's The exhaust temperature goes up. While I am cruising at about 3000 to 3500 The exhaust stays in the 1300 to 1350 range. Now the plugs are a little on the rich side. Just trying to get a handle on the blower. I am new to blowers and don't want to have the 572 cough.
Kojac.

kojac
03-11-2003, 05:44 PM
Hotcrusader,
They did both. They drilled out the circuits and set me up with adjustable air bleeds. I installed the 120 viton tips last summer in an effort to try to set up this blower combination. This improved the lean condition at part and mid throttle. At about 6500 to 6800 rpm's The exhaust temperature goes up. While I am cruising at about 3000 to 3500 The exhaust stays in the 1300 to 1350 range. Now the plugs are a little on the rich side. Just trying to get a handle on the blower. I am new to blowers and don't want to have the 572 cough.
Kojac.

Hotcrusader76
03-11-2003, 05:59 PM
Kojac,
By enlarging those circuits (I assume we are talking about the metering block circuits in novice terms) they actually leaned them out, not enrichened them. This would explain the high EGTs.
The Dominators normally are calibrated with .024-.026 internal air-correctors. You can try to get the fuel back by decreasing the high-speed air-bleed size by 2, but this only creates more problems with the metering blocks are super lean.
Normally I would recommend going to a 5-hole billet metering block with that much Hp which can give you another hole or two. This is similar to the high output 2-barrels I calibrate which need more curve to work with.
The blocks you have should be 3-hole versions despite the circuit types. By gaining another hole you can broaden your fuel curve to lessen the air introduced at mid-range and the upper-end while maintaining an appropriate jet size.
Now the improvements you're trying to reach might are best seen on a dyno with a good EGT sensor to see the difference in changes. Otherwise a good plug reading and boat mounted EGT will work also.
AED has been around for sometime and they do know what their talking about, but I still question the modifications you claimed they made. Enrichening and enlarging only apply to main-jets and idle circuit orifices. Everything else is leaner when enlarged. Just some food for thought.
Here is a three circuit block with 5-hole emulsion.
http://www.tpcracing.com/product_images/threecircuitblock_400.jpg
http://www.tpcracing.com/product_images/threecircuitblock1_400.jpg

Jetty 468
03-22-2003, 07:34 PM
Hotcrusader76:
Ty ... just trying to be helpfull by bringing this back to the top for you . I have my chair pulled up , a cold one and I'm tuned in .
Jetty
http://www.tpcracing.com/product_images/spacer_450.jpg

Hotcrusader76
03-22-2003, 07:50 PM
Stand bye...

Jetty 468
03-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Hotcrusader76:
Stand bye... Roger ,standing by :D

schiada96
03-25-2003, 10:41 AM
How much to make a single 9377 dominator work properly on a twin turbo draw thru making about 900 hp mine wont idle and semms a little lean on top end

Froggystyle
03-25-2003, 12:51 PM
My experience with spacers is that the plastic ones do a pretty good job insulating engine heat from the carb, and that the extra 1" of plenum space generally gets you an increase in torque and horsepower across the board. Not dyno proven, but I have seen incremental differences at the drags when a plastic spacer was added.
That being said, I think an aluminum spacer looks ten times cooler than the thermoplastic one I had, and may displace more heat due to surface area. Who knows.

Hotcrusader76
03-25-2003, 01:19 PM
Thank you for the kind words of craftsmanship Dave.
The carburetor spacer is also best utilized in a Dyno enviroment for tuning purposes to extract ever last bit of performance left in the motor combination. Most intake designers sell the their intakes relatively low in comparison to high rises to anticipate this sort of tuning.
Speciality spacers are another type that can be internaly tuned (tooled) to lean or richen a certain cylinder and increase your intake plenum for an enhancement in torque.
Most people can see an increase in low-end torque with as little as 1" of height.
aka"Jetty468" is installing one our very first designs on his 468BBC single carbed motor, 2" height with an 850 Annular boostered carb. I will post some pics tomorrow. We will here about his results next week once his carburetor and spacer arrive.
Now if you're looking for a thermo-protection device from the intake then a simply coated piece of plywood works wonders for protection to the carburetor from heat. Braswell has been doing this for many years and there is alot to learn from them from a tuners stand point.
~Ty

miller19j
03-25-2003, 01:25 PM
Can someone please educate me on the technical benefits to a carburetor spacer. What are the pros and cons?
It seems like a pretty simple part. Why don’t you see a lot of them in use?
I am not trying to stir things up I just do not know anything about using spacers.

Blown 472
03-25-2003, 01:27 PM
There is a bunch of diff, the four hole spacer increases the vac signal to the carb, the open design increase the plenum of the intake which increase hp and torque.