PDA

View Full Version : Info on R/C Gas Powered Trucks

goneboatin
10-31-2005, 09:05 AM
My son wants a remote controlled gas powered truck like his friend down the street. I've looked at few, some are in kit form, others are ready to run and just need gas and batteries. But who makes a good ready to run truck that won't self destruct after a few runs?
Any help would be appreciated.
GB

Hal
10-31-2005, 09:17 AM
Traxxas T-Maxx . http://www.rcboca.com/product.php?productid=22247
Just add fuel and your ready to go.

goneboatin
10-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Have you heard of CEN? They're supposed to be huge with bigger engines for not much more than the Traxxas. So says my kid.

Ultrafied
10-31-2005, 10:28 AM
Traxxas .... good company, better quality. RtR models very cool and very well made. Not sure in San Dimas, but off the 10E, North on Central, East on Moreno in Montclair, Pegasus Hobbies. Great store.

INFINITEJJ
10-31-2005, 10:39 AM
I have a HPI Savage 25 Rtr. Out of the box I smoked my buddies T-MAX. Savage is built tough. I love my truck. Good luck!

revndave
10-31-2005, 11:04 AM
Traxxas Revo or HPI Savage.Very tough and easy to get parts.Also fast.

sxpilot
10-31-2005, 11:40 AM
Traxxas .... good company, better quality. RtR models very cool and very well made. Not sure in San Dimas, but off the 10E, North on Central, East on Moreno in Montclair, Pegasus Hobbies. Great store.
I would recomend taking a drive down there to Pegasus...best hobby shop in so cal...plus there croneys have tons of good info...they also have a full blown track to run..
HPI or Tmax, all good..
heres a link to tower one of the biggest mail order..
http://www.towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-cat-c.html

Lake Ape
10-31-2005, 12:11 PM
Talk to Erik Lantz at
Sierra Hobbies (http://sierrahobby.com/aboutus.htm)
He used to run the worlds largest hobby story and is the R/C guru!

Tim_T
10-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Team associated Monster GT. Huge truck lots of metal. I have ran mine into just about everything and it just keeps going. Not to mention it is built much stronger than the T-maxx. Also the savage is an awesome truck too. I think they run about the same price. The associated truck is RTR and im pretty sure the savage is too. Just my 2 cents.

goneboatin
10-31-2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. It looks like I'll be checking out what they've got at Pegasus during the week.
Damn, this stuff's expensive. Oh well, it's still cheaper than a weekend boating!

jtmarten
10-31-2005, 05:55 PM
Traxxas T-Maxx . http://www.rcboca.com/product.php?productid=22247
Just add fuel and your ready to go.
Go with the TMaxx. I bought one the first year out (2000 I think) and just love it! Plus, being the most popular truck, there's plenty of aftermarket parts, and stock parts are readily available as well.

h2oski2fast
10-31-2005, 05:58 PM
Traxxas Revo, I have nothing but good things about them.

1Shockwaveguy
10-31-2005, 07:07 PM
Doesn't a member of this forum own the hoppy shop here in Havasu? I think his name is Bigboystoys? I could be wrong. I usually am. :mix:

Skullinator
10-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Be very carefull on what you buy 10th scale trucks are built very fragile where 8th scale are like tanks but also stick to American,or Japan as a manufacture example Mugen,Team Losi,Associated or Kyosho. Also i recommend you buy a kit so when you build it you Know how to fix it when it brakes entry level should run 350.00 where the top can cost you well over $2000.00. Hobby shops will always sell you something they have in stock and will brake. Average mark up on a RC Car is less than 10% but the parts are 40% mark up also they get you on the little extras. PM me with your questions

repo man
10-31-2005, 08:51 PM
Have you heard of CEN? They're supposed to be huge with bigger engines for not much more than the Traxxas. So says my kid.
i have the cen genesis and it's a piece o junk. i recomend the traxxas revo . my bros has lasted 8 months without breaking once. plus it handles like a dream.

dave186
10-31-2005, 09:07 PM
ive got a Tmaxx, buddy has a savage 21 both of them are good trucks, but i like my tmaxx better, its more like a stadium truck than a monster truck. the 2.5 motor is awesome, i had mine ported and it flat out hauls now.

MagicMtnDan
10-31-2005, 09:17 PM
Traxxas T-max is the way to go. There are others (some mentioned here) that will do fine but the T-max is the most popular which will help when it comes time to fix, modify and sell/upgrade.
http://www.t-maxx.com
http://www.diynet.com/diy/rc_cars_trucks/article/0,2033,DIY_14221_3254703,00.html
http://www.traxxas.com
http://www.jcrc.com/AerialPhotography/Traxxas%20T-Max%207-4-02%201s.jpg

teamyamahamike
10-31-2005, 09:19 PM
My son and I have RC10 RTR There Not Bad Good for the 1st timers :idea:

revndave
10-31-2005, 09:34 PM
My buddy jumped his Revo 50ft. and landed it.Not stock has .26 motor in it.

termiteguy
10-31-2005, 10:07 PM
i have the savage 25 i am a terible driver i jump it and roll it run it into every thing and it still just keeps running. :lightsabe

Froggystyle
11-01-2005, 09:43 AM
First, everyone is right. The T-maxx is the best to get if you really don't plan on wrecking it, and it is truly ready to run. Descent radio etc...
The very best in my opinion is the Monster Pirate by OFNA. Second is the Associated Monster RC 10GT. Totally bitchin.
What not to get? The DuraTrax Nitro Quake. Big motor and 1/8 scale, aluminum chassis and good shocks but absolutely terrible package. I doubled up on the money initially invested to get it to work right. After that, it ate everything up, but I was in it a 1K. All the money was in the chassis, and it needed a radio, speed controller, fuel tank, servos, battery, and when all was said and done a giant motor.
How do I know? 14 SEALs with money to burn and some spare time once decided that we should all buy gas trucks for when we deployed to Guam (Pre 9-11). There was the whole spectrum. Everything from 4 guys with T-Maxx's (all wrecked and out of commission within a week), HPI's, OFNA's and my Duratrax. We did as much to these things as we could do collectively. We raced them, raised hell, jumped, etc... I bag on the DuraTrax because it was a shitty RTR. It was one of the best trucks though. As an 1/8 scale, the parts were bigger and more durable. Lots of metal gears and such and a good 4WD system which helped a lot. As I recall, the T-Maxx is RWD and got stuck a lot. Good news was, it has reverse which is good for kids.
The Monster Pirate by OFNA was the best overall performer. OFNA is a phenomenal company in the industry. The new one is called the Blazer SST. It is seriously bad ass. Big motor, good shocks and it comes with all of the good suspension parts. Additionally, it is a good RTR with a good radio and component group right away. The Force 26 motor was what I had in my DT and it was VERY powerful.
The Associated was my favorite until the guy brought the OFNA out. Great RTR with very high performance. Great parts availability, available slipper clutch packs and great brakes. Lots of plastic though. All are protected by an aluminum pan, but the pan holds a lot of fuel if spilled, and makes a mess. Probably the best handling of the bunch.
I wouldn't buy the Duratrax unless you are looking to do some mods yourself. Once the bigger motor was in, the tires were changed out and a metal gear was installed the thing was a rocket and roughed up everthing out there. the 1/8 scale was by far the dominating factor. Once it was all built (another $500 or so over the purchase price plus a radio I pulled out of a different car) it really rocked.
My advice is to show your son everything, and what he can get for his money new. Then, go to E-bay and buy a used one from a schmuck like me who dumped well over a grand into his rig to sell it for $400 with a million spare parts, a rebuildable motor and a new OFNA motor, upgraded radio, old radio, four sets of tires, High torque steering servos, four bitchin custom batteries, a charger for them, fuel tank and gallon of nitro, extra fuel tank and most of a spare suspension and drivetrain, three bodies and a custom polished frame and suspension (all aluminum... what was I supposed to do??? ;) ) and a tackle box it all came in...
E-bay baby. Much more bang for the buck, with a lot better of a setup.

BLOWN HOWARD
11-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Close Wes but the T-maxx is 4wd. And the new monster pirate is called the ofan Dominator. Wich is a very good truck i actually just sold one not to long ago. I think the truck to beat is the Team Losi LST. Check it out i currently have one now and seems to be the best truck i have owned so far. Considering i already had the T-maxx,Ofna Dominator,RC 10GT,Losi XXXNT, Ofna Hyper 7 Pro,Ofna Titan. And now the only one left is the Losi LST. Bust out the truck next time i am down that way Wes. We wanna see some of the new boats out of the mold also!!!!!!!

Froggystyle
11-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Close Wes but the T-maxx is 4wd. And the new monster pirate is called the ofan Dominator. Wich is a very good truck i actually just sold one not to long ago. I think the truck to beat is the Team Losi LST. Check it out i currently have one now and seems to be the best truck i have owned so far. Considering i already had the T-maxx,Ofna Dominator,RC 10GT,Losi XXXNT, Ofna Hyper 7 Pro,Ofna Titan. And now the only one left is the Losi LST. Bust out the truck next time i am down that way Wes. We wanna see some of the new boats out of the mold also!!!!!!!
#3 pops out here in a week or so... White with slut red graphics.
I sold the truck on E-bay. I hadn't used it since getting out of the teams.

CornWater
11-01-2005, 01:00 PM
#3 pops out here in a week or so... White with slut red graphics.
I sold the truck on E-bay. I hadn't used it since getting out of the teams.
Slut red...lol. That name for a color is almost as good as rape yellow.. :2purples: :2purples:

goneboatin
11-01-2005, 05:25 PM
Well, we went to a bunch of hobby shops yesterday and settled on the Savage 25. It wasn't the cheapest, but it also wasn't the most expensive.
We started looking at the Traxxas, but they all said that they seem to break easily compared to the larger 1/8 trucks. I wanted my son to get something that was ready to run. I just don't do good putting things together anymore plus he was paying half.
Since he pulled straight A's on his last report card, I told him if he saved up half, I'd pony up the rest. I didn't think he'd save the money, I had to keep my word - and I didn't think these things were so expensive.
Well, now we've got the box in the den with little plastic bags all over the place. Now we need to invest in Duracell with the amount of batteries this thing needs. Had to buy a rechageable battery for the starter, a battery recharger for the starter, an igniter, fuel, a fuel bottle, and Nitro blast cleaner (kind of like carb cleaner).
We'll take it out on Saturday and break it in.
Wish me luck.
$$$$
GB

RiverDave
11-01-2005, 06:04 PM
If he wants a "street truck" I have something he might be interested in looking at. It's an 1/8th scale HPI Super Nitro.. Custom "motor mounts" to fit in a "big block" motor, 2 Speed Tranny, Upgraded Disc (Fiber) Brake, High Torque Clutch, Billet / Carbon Fiber everything.. no stock parts, Heavy Duty (100 dollar a pop) airtronics servo's with jeweled bearings, German precision (also jeweled) bearings throughout the whole construction of the truck.. Custom wheels (which I was getting ready to make some billet ones for it as welletc.. etc.). It has everything that the 100 mph shoot out truck (built for RC magazine has) and some custom shit that's actually better then the truck they built. I didn't go through the time to machine the custom gears becuase I never figured I'd bother taking it out to an airstrip to radar it at over 100, but on the flip side as it sits I'd bet money there isn't anything RC on land that's going to beat him in a drag / top speed, or "large" course if he knows how to drive. I don't remember the name of the controller, but it's the billybadass Airtronics controller with the digital screen on top.. Calculates fuel left in the car, has memory for 7 or 10 cars etc.. I have everything for the truck, starter, glow plug ignitors, chargers etc.. etc..
About 6 Grand invested, I'll let the whole program go for a grand. The hobby shop that last had the truck told me the truck was worth about a grand alone.
RD

Froggystyle
11-02-2005, 08:29 AM
If he wants a "street truck" I have something he might be interested in looking at. It's an 1/8th scale HPI Super Nitro.. Custom "motor mounts" to fit in a "big block" motor, 2 Speed Tranny, Upgraded Disc (Fiber) Brake, High Torque Clutch, Billet / Carbon Fiber everything.. no stock parts, Heavy Duty (100 dollar a pop) airtronics servo's with jeweled bearings, German precision (also jeweled) bearings throughout the whole construction of the truck.. Custom wheels (which I was getting ready to make some billet ones for it as welletc.. etc.). It has everything that the 100 mph shoot out truck (built for RC magazine has) and some custom shit that's actually better then the truck they built. I didn't go through the time to machine the custom gears becuase I never figured I'd bother taking it out to an airstrip to radar it at over 100, but on the flip side as it sits I'd bet money there isn't anything RC on land that's going to beat him in a drag / top speed, or "large" course if he knows how to drive. I don't remember the name of the controller, but it's the billybadass Airtronics controller with the digital screen on top.. Calculates fuel left in the car, has memory for 7 or 10 cars etc.. I have everything for the truck, starter, glow plug ignitors, chargers etc.. etc..
About 6 Grand invested, I'll let the whole program go for a grand. The hobby shop that last had the truck told me the truck was worth about a grand alone.
RD
Sounds like RD was an even bigger sucker than me.
That'll happen when you have access to a machine shop and a goal in mind.
This is what I was talking about when I discussed a whole world of suckers who have way too much invested in their gas trucks, and want very little in comparison.
Probably some spare parts in there too, huh? Sounds like a great truck though...

INFINITEJJ
11-02-2005, 08:34 PM
Well, we went to a bunch of hobby shops yesterday and settled on the Savage 25. It wasn't the cheapest, but it also wasn't the most expensive.
We started looking at the Traxxas, but they all said that they seem to break easily compared to the larger 1/8 trucks. I wanted my son to get something that was ready to run. I just don't do good putting things together anymore plus he was paying half.
Since he pulled straight A's on his last report card, I told him if he saved up half, I'd pony up the rest. I didn't think he'd save the money, I had to keep my word - and I didn't think these things were so expensive.
Well, now we've got the box in the den with little plastic bags all over the place. Now we need to invest in Duracell with the amount of batteries this thing needs. Had to buy a rechageable battery for the starter, a battery recharger for the starter, an igniter, fuel, a fuel bottle, and Nitro blast cleaner (kind of like carb cleaner).
We'll take it out on Saturday and break it in.
Wish me luck.
$$$$
GB
You made a wise choice. I have launched my savage off some serious stuff, rolled, dug, flipped and sometimes landed. KEEPS ON GOING. I have made some mods.
1) Steering (servo saver & bearings)
2) 4-spider diffs (a MUST for longevity)
3) tuned pipe
4) brake kit / thottle mod
5) wheels and tires (stock savage has crappy foam inside)
6) hump battery pack and charger
7) radio upgrade (not ness.)
Also stay away from the aluminum suspension parts (they break because they don't flex)
Go to the savage forum for all the info you will ever need http://www.savage-central.com (http://) GOOD STUFF!
Good luck and you will have fun, great times with the kid.

BiggusJimbus
11-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Also,
CAREFULLY follow the break in instructions for the motor.
If you don't, you will never have full power and will forever be fighting to get it started. Seen it several times.
Have fun.

goneboatin
11-03-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all the responses.
I didn't know that this hobby was so popular with the older (over 30) crowd. My son is chomping at the bit to just run his truck on the street and show his friends, but I told him that it needs to be broken in. And we will do that on Saturday at the school where there's lots of room and we can break in the engine properly.
Thanks again for all your responses and advice.
GB

Cole Trickle
11-03-2005, 10:55 AM
I have a XTM X-cellerator stadium truck.
The truck is fast as crap for a stock RTR and does about 50mph.
It handles great around a track and flys straight and true if you control it in the air with the gas and brake.
I like the truck and it's speed ut if I was going to do it again I would get something a little more Heavy Duty.(Monster trucks seem to take more of a beating without breaking parts)
I have broken all of the arms and the damm pull start more times than I care to discuss.(I recommend a car with a electric start!!!)
Sounds like we need to put together a HB gas car/truck day!!!